Sponsored

Rubicon Option/Packages question ...

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Have a Gladiator Rubicon build partially complete, but would like some input on some options from the been-there/done-that Rubicon vets here.

8.4" Radio & Premium Audio Group? ... I'm not getting the Gladiator just in order to spend a lotta time listening to the radio. Is the (almost) $1700 hit for the 8" screen (and everything else in the package, e.g., Nav, better speaker) really worth the upgrade over the standard?

Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System? ... Most of the elements of the Max Tow package are already included at the Rubicon trim level, with the trailer tow package adding the 240 amp alt, etc. The Cargo Group includes the 240 alt, a polymer lock box under the rear seats, and the 115 volt outlet in the trunk. I was going to look to the aftermarket (e.g., Tuffy) for an all-steel lock box to fit under those seats anyway, and I'm not sure the 115v outlet would see much use, although I would use the cargo tie-down items included in the package.

Spray in Bedliner? ... Test drove a Rubicon that had it. Has a sort of 'rough,' non-slip texture. Would help keep stuff from sliding around, but there might be better aftermarket options.

Hardtop Headliner? ... Significant noise-reduction? Does it impart an insulation effect, as claimed?

What do the Rubicon experts think? Thanks for your time & input!
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Honestly it's your build and you get what you want... but since you asked... here's my .02

8.4" Radio & Premium Audio Group--- Tough one...But i'm the bigger the screen guy. I like my premium sound and the big touch screen controls for not only radio but for the climate controls and having off road pages.

Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System--- tough one there. I didn't get the choice on this and I don't have it. Only thing I'm looking to add out of this package would be the trail rails. You can by OEM ( theres a slight wait, as I understand from MFG) or there aftermarket in the future.

Spray in Bedliner --- go aftermarket. A lot of guys going LineX for lifetime warranty vs OEM is 1 year.

Hardtop Headliner--- go aftermarket. Hot headliners with the sound deadening. I've had it previous JK's... wish I had them vs OEM.

-sass

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Honestly it's your build and you get what you want... but since you asked... here's my .02

8.4" Radio & Premium Audio Group--- Tough one...But i'm the bigger the screen guy. I like my premium sound and the big touch screen controls for not only radio but for the climate controls and having off road pages.

Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System--- tough one there. I didn't get the choice on this and I don't have it. Only thing I'm looking to add out of this package would be the trail rails. You can by OEM ( theres a slight wait, as I understand from MFG) or there aftermarket in the future.

Spray in Bedliner --- go aftermarket. A lot of guys going LineX for lifetime warranty vs OEM is 1 year.

Hardtop Headliner--- go aftermarket. Hot headliners with the sound deadening. I've had it previous JK's... wish I had them vs OEM.

-sass
Ditto.

I will get the 8.4-inch Radio and Audio Group.

The others will be aftermarket for my Rubicon.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The 8.4 gets you offroad pages, the bigger screen and the ability to add the trail cam. Android Auto and Apple Car Play gets you the other functionality on the 7.0. Google Maps is going to be much handier than any auto mfg nav. But if you want the offroad pages screen, or the ability to add the trail cam you'll have to go to the 8.4. None of those were important enough for me to upgrade it so I didn't. Line-X or Rhino Liner will be better than the OEM bed liner I guarantee it for roughly the same price. Hothead Liners are likewise better than the OEM units at least on the JK they were great. I didn't get the Cargo Group either. The bed outlet would be handy for some things, and the trail rails would be nice, my '16 Tacoma came with a system like it standard on a much less expensive pickup. I used them all the time I will add that part of it later. But the seat lifts up on the base Rubicon and there is a storage area there so all you lose out on is the locking lids really as far as interior storage. Most of the options on these pickups are available for roughly the same price elsewhere that have better quality or smarter design.

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
I just picked up my JTR yesterday. The only reason I ordered the 8.4" radio/audio group is because when I ordered the truck this group was a requirement when ordering the front trail cam. Even if you're not going with the front trail cam I would suggest getting the 8.4" radio/audio group, it's a nice set up and will help with resale some time down the road.
The rest of the items can be added after you take delivery. I will eventually get the spray in bed liner done, I will order the BuiltRight bed rail when its released, and I ordered the Hot Head headliner which will go in this weekend. May install a aftermarket inverter and add a plug in the bed at some point. Even it you add some Mopar options after you take delivery you will not have the cost of them added to your financing. This is if you are taking a loan and making payments.

Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
JMO

8.4" Radio & Premium Audio Group? I love my music and the sound system is very very good. I also prefer the larger screen. You have all those on screen options, a larger screen just adds to the experience. No regrets.

Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System? Use the rail system often, there may be aftermarket products, but this I used right off the lot. I also enjoy the storage box and repack that all the time depending on what I'm doing and like the I can remove it and take it with me.

Spray in Bedliner? ... Line-X is an option, but I got this in the package also and again, no regrets. It also looks really good. Got an after market cargo net, extremely useful. If you can same money with Line-X that is an option, especially with an extended warranty.

Hardtop Headliner? ... Got this option also. Coverage seems the same as hot headliners, however, I've not seen a comparison between which is more effective. Regardless, I would recommend getting one in your package or aftermarket.

Been having a ball and hope you do the same...

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
I chose the 8.4" upgrade primarily to get the Subwoofer factory installed. I did not want to mess around with running speaker wires and place an aftermarket sub or try to pay Car Toys to tear into my brand new Gladiator. After having the factory Infinity sub in my JK I don't want a vehicle without one. It actually seems like a much better deal on Rubicon than paying for a 7" upgrade on Sport S plus paying for the speaker upgrade separately. On Rubicon it is one package.

Cargo group? Nah, probably going to put that money towards a Diamondback Tonneau.

Spray in bedliner is what you add to your truck bed after a few years of scratching it up, then it will look new.

Headliner, I ordered Hotheads aftermarket, waiting in my basement. (C'mon Jeep Toledo, start on my frame already please...) :LOL:

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Appreciate all the comments thus far. Thanks.

I've scratched the factory Headliners from the build and will go aftermarket with the Hotheads.

Also scratched the Spray-in Bedliner; will look to aftermarket products as well.

Decided to keep the 8.4" Radio Group primarily for the Nav system ... Bremen mentioned the Trail Cam. Do I really need the Trail Cam? Other than for eyeballing the ground/rocks in front while off-roading, would it have any other practical use?

The winch-capable front steel bumper is on the build, but not the auxiliary switches group. Dealer's sales guy said having an aux. switch just makes it easier to activate the winch from inside the cab. Ah, meh.

Still on the fence about the Cargo Group ....
Only use I'd envision for that 115v outlet (at this point anyway) is for running an air tank for filling up the tires if they're low, say, from a slow leak. (I'm getting the all-weather tires, not the Mudders.). Lockable polymer storage boxes make me nervous. I'd prefer lockable STEEL boxes. The polymer units might make a bit more sense if the lock that prevents folding the backs down ALSO locked the seat portion to prevent it from being flipped up to expose the boxes.

Last edited:

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
I opted out of the steel front bumper, largely due to wanting a more custom look, less of a factory look. There are a lot of steel JL front bumpers on the market to fit the JT. Also the winch "capable" Mopar bumper from my understanding still requires you to buy a mounting plate kit for $250-$300 if you are actually going to have a winch.

Aux switch group was a must-order for me because I intend to have both forward-facing trail lights and rearward-facing work lights on separate switches eventually. Also I prefer the winch power not to be constantly-on from the battery, but controlled by a relay under the hood that is wired to one of the aux switches. When actually using the winch, you would enable power to the winch from the aux switch, but actual control of the winch function would be the winch-specific handheld remote control unit. There's a thread around here somewhere on what other people intend to do with their Aux switches.

Otherwise I added the tow group, because it would seem silly to have a truck without a hitch, and this also boosts the alternator and cooling capacity. Cold weather group because it snows where I live and my wife likes heated seats. Have fun with your selections!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You have to determine how much your time is worth, how much extra time you want to spend customizing it, and how much of the add-on you want included in the monthly payment.

I opted to get as much as possible already on the truck from the factory. The factory Aux switch group also gets you a 12v hot wire under the dash for things like a dash camera. The advantage of the factory bed liner is the bolt holes for adding items are not sprayed over (like might happen aftermarket). The only thing I had the dealer add, which didn't come from the factory, was a tonneau cover.

Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
8.4 and audio is a go, trail rail and power outlet in the rear, you would be pissing money in the wind, 400 watts shared is about useful as tits on a boar hog. Trail rail made and installed for less than 100$, aux power group is worth the money, the time saved alone in pre run power drops is worth the money plus you do not bust nuckles, the bucket of cuss words will not be needed. Bed liner is optional.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
The winch-capable front steel bumper is on the build, but not the auxiliary switches group. Dealer's sales guy said having an aux. switch just makes it easier to activate the winch from inside the cab. Ah, meh.
I say the salesperson doesn't know what the Aux switch group is. It is well worth the money. It provides 4 programmable buttons and is pre-wired under the dash and under the hood. You will spend close to the same money for an aftermarket unit like an sPod. And it will have to be installed. The switches can be used for anything 12v like lights, air compressors, your margarita mixer. If you plan to add anything electric to your Jeep it is well worth it.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I chose the 8.4 because I plan on being in remote places with no cell service. The navigation for me is a must.

I did not get the Cargo group. I plan on putting it together after market or used much cheeper.

I got the bed liner but would probably not do that again. I would go aftermarket as the warranty is better and they spray it on thicker. The factory bed liner is great but I think I could of gotten better for same price or cheaper.

Not sure about the headliner but it will not cut down on wind noise at highway speeds.

johnh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Went with the 8.4 just a nice set up and easy to operate.
No cargo group, just no need at the time and the I have the bed cover that will stay on most of the time.
No spray bed liner, I like the painted look, but did go with a cargo mat from a Chevy Colorado, perfect fit with slight trimming looks good!
No Headliner, I love the soft top, not much noise at all true Jeep style.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
You are able to add the Trailcam without having to add the 8.4 now. At least on Jeep's website. Is this an error?
Sponsored