First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Electrician
Possibly able to pick up Rubicon take of springs. The question is how do you identify driver and passenger side springs if the part number sticker is missing? Is there an easy way? Are the spring identifiable by size, number of coils, compatablr to Sport? Springs to be put on a Sport.
Sponsored

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If they were not marked when they were removed, or if they have no part number labels, it will not be easy to tell which one goes where. You can lay them out and compare them to a marked set, and probably get fairly close. You should be able to distinguish front from rear, but right and left will be more difficult.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Passenger side should be a touch longer. It's not much, like a 1/4" or so.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Test ->
Which of these three springs is left, which is right, and which is Rubicon and which is Overland
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon spring part numbers. 20220629_144714

Did you know that a stock Overland rear spring has a longer free length than a stock Mojave rear spring?
And........... a max tow rear spring is about 1" shorter than an Overland rear spring..........

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon spring part numbers. IMG_20220123_142913

The larger number goes on the passenger sides.
For gas powered Gladiators, yes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Finn66

Finn66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Electrician
If they were not marked when they were removed, or if they have no part number labels, it will not be easy to tell which one goes where. You can lay them out and compare them to a marked set, and probably get fairly close. You should be able to distinguish front from rear, but right and left will be more difficult.
Owner states yellow mark on one front and rear, green mark on the other front and rear. One spring does have a tag that matches a posted number for a right rear. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Finn66

Finn66

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Electrician
Owner states yellow mark on one front and rear, green mark on the other front and rear. One spring does have a tag that matches a posted number for a right rear. Any thoughts?
6211AA Is the tagged spring

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Start with the one you know. You should then be able to use size and color to determine the other three.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
6211AA Is the tagged spring

That part number is tagged on the Parts List of a few online MOPAR parts sites as Rear Right Spring, but, if you click on the hyperlink it is listed as Left Rear Spring.

Also on said sites, the Parts List page lists ALL coil springs, whether front or rear, as Right Coil Spring.

So, as I said, whichever spring is a tad longer goes on the passenger side, shorter on the driver side. The longer on passenger side is to compensate for the weight difference side to side. The numbers don't line up to a side, the length does with the pair you have.

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Oh, and the full part number for the spring you have is 68506211AA , will make it easier to look it up online.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful - I have seen 349 and 350 where 349 was the left and 350 was the right.
But then another pair was 350 and 351 where 350 was the left and 351 was the right.
You cannot say if it was left or right based on a single spring.
What was a right on one truck may have been lighter and was a left on another truck based on options.

The paint marks are inspection marks in most cases. In the AMC days, the paint marks identified if the drive shaft was for an automatic or a stick, and 3 speed or 4 speed stick. But for the most part, paint is quality control checks.

That part number is tagged on the Parts List of a few online MOPAR parts sites as Rear Right Spring, but, if you click on the hyperlink it is listed as Left Rear Spring.

Also on said sites, the Parts List page lists ALL coil springs, whether front or rear, as Right Coil Spring.

So, as I said, whichever spring is a tad longer goes on the passenger side, shorter on the driver side. The longer on passenger side is to compensate for the weight difference side to side. The numbers don't line up to a side, the length does with the pair you have.
You can't pick one spring and say which side it goes on - it depends on the options and which number the OTHER spring was. I have perfect examples in my garage. The right spring I have from a Rubicon was the left spring under another Rubicon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Start with the one you know. You should then be able to use size and color to determine the other three.
He can't know - it might be the other side for a different truck. Only if you have the pair can you know which was which.
450 and 451 were under one truck. 449 and 450 were under another truck. If all you had was a 450 - which side was it under?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You can't pick one spring and say which side it goes on - it depends on the options and which number the OTHER spring was. I have perfect examples in my garage. The right spring I have from a Rubicon was the left spring under another Rubicon.

Which if YOU go back and reread what I said, is exactly what I said. The number doesn't mean squat, it's the length reference of the pair, longer always goes on passenger side on a 3.6 gas engine in a Gladiator. Can't confirm it on a diesel because I don't know where the fuel and DEF tanks are.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can't confirm it on a diesel because I don't know where the fuel and DEF tanks are.
At least a couple of people have said that the diesel spring sequencing (left vs right) is the opposite of gas.

---------------
Length can also be tricky as sometimes the difference is the number of coils and the wire diameter.

I've got another pair of springs I need to check and compare - but here's a pair that look like they are the same length.............

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon spring part numbers. 1659909234168

Numbers of coils and wire sizes vary with this pair -
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon spring part numbers. 1659909504016

And then this fun - the spring numbers from my 2022 - how the heck can anyone know which is which if they had these in a box of parts?

I can't tell if this truck has heavier or lighter springs than my 2020 did!
Left front - 6342AA
Right front - 7796AA
Left rear - 6118AA
Right rear - 6119AA

These were my 2020 numbers - but were they lighter springs or heavier or the same?
Left front - 325AB
Right front - 330AB
Left rear - 439
Right rear - 440
Sponsored