First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU, compass
Occupation
Self
Does anyone know if there is any advantage to the rubicon with tow package versus without.
Specifically, is there a difference in cooling or not.
I get the trailer zoom, ,hitch and bigger alternator.
Sponsored

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
@JustKruzn

Many buyers post here that the one option that they did not get and regret greatly, that they did not get was the tow package.

Most JL/JT owner's tell prospective buyer's posting on the forum's to order the tow package.....

I tell guys they are totally missing the boat if they do not order the tow package.
The $ you pay for the tow package are worth paying just for the Aux switches alone..

You get with tow package:
Much wanted Auxiliary Switches
Bigger Main battery
Better alternator
Higher rated Fan Fuse in the High Amp Z Case Fuse Array (68368854AA Mopar Z Case Fuse Array)
Larger radiator
4/7 pin receptacle
Tow bar
Better resale value on the JT
Ahhhhh..... I know I'm missing a couple of other goodies....
This is incorrect. The auxiliary switches have zero to do with the tow package. Separate options, just ordered one and chose each of these as options.

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
This is incorrect. The auxiliary switches have zero to do with the tow package. Separate options, just ordered one and chose each of these as options.
I was just typing the same thing. I have the tow package on my JTR, but no aux switches. It's a separate option.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
The tow package is worth it for the upgraded cooling alone.

What it DOESN'T come with is a brake controller. (Don't search for it, you will be overwhelmed with all of us complaining about that fact.)

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
Ok, I stand corrected... THEN, the OP should order both Aux switches and Tow Package or he will undoubtedly regret not doing so.
Yes for the $195 up charge make certain. I had a 19 JL rubicon and the window sticker showed both options. Also had cold weather package so possibly tied together? When I ordered this JT had to select both options but I did not regrettably order the cold weather package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JustKruzn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU, compass
Occupation
Self
I was asking because there were a few JTRs I have seen that came without the tow package.
I did not get that option when I bought my JKUR.
Must haves though are :
Automatic
Hard top
Cold weather
Bed liner
And now, tow package

unfortunately I am at the point that I am going to have to buy off the lot. Got a good TDM coupon that is going to expire in a couple days.

I also did not join tread lightly in time either. And I cannot wait for an order.
And now the dealers are playing games with the chip shortage excuse.
So I am getting ready to suck it up and not get a great deal on a new JT. (Putting it politely)

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
If you have a trade, know that your trade value is higher too! Don’t let them short change you.

OP
OP

JustKruzn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU, compass
Occupation
Self
No trade. never have had one and probably never will.

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
It's a no brainer to get the tow package on any vehicle that is capable of towing anything worthwhile. My former Grand Cherokee Upland would have been fully capable. But they didn't offer a tow package on that model for the simple fact that it was basically a Trailhawk lite and had a rear tow hook. I could have gone aftermarket. But I don't like to go that route.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The tow package is worth it for the upgraded cooling alone.
Yup; one of the reasons why I wanted it. Someday we might have a trailer, but I was in Utah last August. 105* on the trail. I'd rather be overbuilt to sustain those days on the trail. I had a Ford Expedition then. With a blower control module that died on the way to Utah. A/C would only blow 1/4 strength. The truck was black. UGH.

And now the dealers are playing games with the chip shortage excuse.
So I am getting ready to suck it up and not get a great deal on a new JT. (Putting it politely)
Maybe. I got a pretty good deal on mine a few weeks ago. I just built my Rubicon on Jeep.com and it's $57k, nowhere near what I paid for mine. I doubt you're going to get $10k off MSRP, maybe try in October or November. Spring, summer and early fall are traditionally the worst times to buy.

You could pay less (slightly) and get a Tacoma... But Toyota's around here are going for $2500-$10k ADM. Crazy. It's a short-term profit for them. Unless they adopt Kia's new strategy and keep production artificially low.

Take a look at the Willys, too. You'll miss out on the electronic lockers and sway bar disconnect, but most everything else can be optioned out.

Our priorities were Auto, Cold Weather, Tow Package. Everything else really didn't matter.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Larger radiator? Where did you see that?

When I examined non-tow package vs tow package in person the only difference I could find is a 600W engine fan vs 850W fan. Everything else was identical all the way down to the 7pin connection and trans cooler.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Larger radiator? Where did you see that?

When I examined non-tow package vs tow package in person the only difference I could find is a 600W engine fan vs 850W fan. Everything else was identical all the way down to the 7pin connection and trans cooler.
I don't think you get a different radiator either. Going back a few years with a different model, the engine cooling was a multi-speed fan.

Heavy-duty engine cooling is the marketing speak for "fancy fan."
Sponsored