Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Here is my set up. My Geo Pro 12RK,
2E0C693E-04D4-42B3-94BA-611414A5AEB9.jpeg
image.jpg
1300# but no potty. I carry a Luggable Loo. They do make a lightweight with a bathroom called a 15TB.
This thing is awesome. I just saw the G12SRK version. That might be the way I go.
Sponsored

White Jeep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2 door Sport S
Here is a work out for a 16' Airstream and a Gladiator Overland. This is the only way to find if you are legal not only on MFG ratings, but also staying within the LEGAL limits for your tow unit. One item i find is usually missed is the actual weight of the Load Equalizing unit you pick. That can easily be 100+ lbs with the hitch weight and the load bars. Take care, Bob

Attachments

Phil7796

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
It
And another tidbit...

I have access to lots of new take-off springs and shocks from various Gladiators, as well as my own. The one in my profile pic is a Max Tow, however I wanted to do some science and compare the Rubi springs to the Max Tow ones, both visually, and on the road with the trailer. In my experience, and this is my own rig, my driving preference, all based on a totally subjective interpretation. That said......!

Rubicon front springs, Max Tow rears, Max Tow factory shocks, rear air bags @ 22 psi, Reese Straight Line hitch with 1200 lb bars set to 4 links hanging free. With our payload setup, tires, the trailer type, etc., it works.
What brand of air bags do you run?

Chaswell

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Have you ever had out of town guests and you take them to your favorite steak place and one of them orders fish, when you ask them how their dinner was they said it wasn’t that good, that’s because they didn’t order a steak! What does that have to do with towing? When you’re shopping for your RV and you ask a sales person will your vehicle tow it good chance they’ll say yes. Go to a place that specializes in trailer hitches tell them your tow vehicle and they will set you straight. Get a weight distribution hitch and have them install it. So back to my analogy if you have a hitch installed at an RV dealership it’s the same as ordering fish from a steak place.

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This thing is awesome. I just saw the G12SRK version. That might be the way I go.
I love it. Very light and bringing a portable toilet makes it totally worth it. I always spend my time outside so it didn’t make sense to carry the extra space.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
You run sumo springs and air bags together? Wasn't sure if that was possible.
Yep. The bags take most of the weight. But i felt good with them inflated to 20-30..the ride wasnt super rigid. The less inflated bags let the sumo springs sit just barely above my rear contact points with the TT attached. So the sumos can do their job by controlling the bounce of the trailer if there is any

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Yep. The bags take most of the weight. But i felt good with them inflated to 20-30..the ride wasnt super rigid. The less inflated bags let the sumo springs sit just barely above my rear contact points with the TT attached. So the sumos can do their job by controlling the bounce of the trailer if there is any
Interesting. I ended up buying both, was going to decide what to do later. I'll probably install the SumoSprings first, see how it goes, then maybe the air bags if I don't like how it feels.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Well, no, put cargo in the trailer in a properly balanced configuration, and aim for 12% hitch weight. You get a cargo multiplier with a trailer, use it - leave the truck empty.

For every pound of baggage & stuff, 88% of it can stay on the trailer as long as you are under your total weight limits. That makes the payload go a lot further.

The payload is very low.... so try to minimize what you take in the truck and trailer.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I ended up buying both, was going to decide what to do later. I'll probably install the SumoSprings first, see how it goes, then maybe the air bags if I don't like how it feels.
I actually did exactly that, ill find and link to the thread where you can see a progression of pictures with different set ups and how it changed the ride of my jt

edit:
Can’t find it so ill do it here

5200lbs trailer
520lbs tongue weight

old chain WDH
Jeep Gladiator RV Towing D5832202-D96A-4ADA-A76A-4999E83CBA38

E2 wdh w sumos
Jeep Gladiator RV Towing 9AD3C3B6-0FF5-46CC-BF96-6B3FA35C82F8

E2 wdh w sumos and airlift bags

Jeep Gladiator RV Towing 2E4EE116-BB99-44AD-AF04-2BFDAD4E8ED5

Last edited:

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from a trip out to Big Bend, first tow with My JTR and new trailer Tab 320CS Tongue weight 250, weight 2500 dry. The truck towed as well as can be expected for a midsize truck at speeds between 65-68mph. Real world gas mileage is the only thing I would wish different. We got and average of 10 mpg, combined some headwinds and elevation changes in both directions. All that gave us a range of 200+/- miles. I can't imagine towing anything bigger or heavier. The truck can certainly handle it but how often do you want to stop?
Jeep Gladiator RV Towing 2E4EE116-BB99-44AD-AF04-2BFDAD4E8ED5
Nice Tab. We tow a 400. The Jeep handles it very well but as you say, range is the biggest issue. I carry extra gas in my Jerry cans. I feel comfortable running it down near empty to extend my real world distance between stops. At least I know that I have some gas if something goes wrong like a closed station, etc.

Jeep Gladiator RV Towing 171419802_1260380601050903_6269460952239305235_n

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Well, no, put cargo in the trailer in a properly balanced configuration, and aim for 12% hitch weight. You get a cargo multiplier with a trailer, use it - leave the truck empty.

For every pound of baggage & stuff, 88% of it can stay on the trailer as long as you are under your total weight limits. That makes the payload go a lot further.
I am not a big fan of hauling a generator and fuel in the trailer. A generator and a couple of Jerry cans and there is another 200#. Don’t forget the tongue weight gets deducted from the payload which if you are hauling a 6000# trailer is another 600 pounds. So, out of your say 1200# payload you are at 400.... marry a small wife, and don’t take your Newfoundland.....:CWL: leave the kids at home.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Over and over people state this, 100% incorrectly. THERE IS NO LEGAL REQUIRMENT FOR FOLLOWING MANUFACTURE GVWR IN ANY STATE FOR ANY REASON on personal vehicles.

This is an internet myth posted over and over and over.

In some States, AWR may apply to personal vehicles.

Obviously being grossly overloaded (go define that) will be an issue. But there is no legal item here.

Here is a work out for a 16' Airstream and a Gladiator Overland. This is the only way to find if you are legal not only on MFG ratings, but also staying within the LEGAL limits for your tow unit. One item i find is usually missed is the actual weight of the Load Equalizing unit you pick. That can easily be 100+ lbs with the hitch weight and the load bars. Take care, Bob

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
What's funny is, a tandem axle trailer with a WD hitch will probably tow better than you set up.

Your rig a rubi? I agree soft spring rears probably not the best.

I towed for the first time this week. My trailer is 1900 lbs with 300 lbs of camping junk in the bed and that was too much. Truck sagged bad. For me it isnt weight but wind resistance... and making sure you dont skip a gas station. Those of you towing 6k, your nuts...
Jeep Gladiator RV Towing 171419802_1260380601050903_6269460952239305235_n
Sponsored