First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Just canceled. No scoops to reduce air intake temp is a pretty mute point for me. Factory tune is going to allow for the required air to be drawn through the factory filter. I looked at this as an option to reduce air intake temps- which is NOT going to happen without the scoops.

just an FYI for anyone else who had the same thoughts.

IMG_1403.jpeg
Sponsored

freebird_78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Just installed. Pretty easy install. My 3rd or 4th S&B.

Definitely hear the turbo a lot more now, and has a tiny little rumble at idle. It's kinda funny.

I had no fitment issues. I think I can understand how one might. The clocking of the intake tube is not very intuitive, and I can see where it might end up a few degrees "off" and cause interference with the engine cover. The cover does touch the intake, but just barely.

Guess we'll see over time.

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Just installed. Pretty easy install. My 3rd or 4th S&B.

Definitely hear the turbo a lot more now, and has a tiny little rumble at idle. It's kinda funny.

I had no fitment issues. I think I can understand how one might. The clocking of the intake tube is not very intuitive, and I can see where it might end up a few degrees "off" and cause interference with the engine cover. The cover does touch the intake, but just barely.

Guess we'll see over time.
Let us know if you see a difference in the performance.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see the point. The Jeep has an OE cold air intake with a nice large filter element. This looks like it's at least keeping the OE cold air, but that filter is thinner than factory with less surface area. It's also an oiled pod filter, which I've never seen work better than a high quality filter element. They flow more air, but they do so by allowing more dirt and dust through. All my track bikes had race filters, but I'm not a fan of rebuilding an engine after every weekend.

The dust making it through the filter gets coated in oil as it goes through the filter and coats everything in the intake system in oily crud.

I just removed the previous owner's pod filter from the LJR and had to remove, clean, and rebuild the intake runner and throttle body to get all the crud off.

I have a graveyard of removed "race filters" from motorcycles and cars that I've put back to paper filters. I've never found a decrease in performance and in many cases the long term performance is better because things like the IAC valve don't get crudded up.
Maybe I should post my charts on how poorly the oiled filters (K&N specifically) actually clean the air..........
Jeep Gladiator S&B COLD AIR INTAKE total-dirt-passed-2

Still want a wet filter? reaches higher restriction sooner and passes more dust.

Jeep Gladiator S&B COLD AIR INTAKE total-dirt-passed

Good for the short term, racing, very high RPMs and high air volume, but.......... long term health?

I've just thrown three of them away.

OP
OP
Rubiman

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Maybe I should post my charts on how poorly the oiled filters (K&N specifically) actually clean the air..........

Still want a wet filter? reaches higher restriction sooner and passes more dust.

Good for the short term, racing, very high RPMs and high air volume, but.......... long term health?

How does the dry perform?

Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

What are your thoughts on this s&b

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer

What is the air filter you use? What is the average silicone level in your oil analysis?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is the air filter you use? What is the average silicone level in your oil analysis?
Stock to this point - may see if AC/Delco has a replacement. They've been good filters over the years even without looking at the charts I have.

I'll be doing another analysis after I drive a bit more with this oil as I towed several hours with the oil that's in it.

These results are from the second oil the engine had in it.

Jeep Gladiator S&B COLD AIR INTAKE 1694714008418

Around here, planting and harvest seasons toss up crazy amounts of dust, and this year with our big drought, it's all dust all the time. I've got to keep changing filters on my mower and washing out the pre-filter it's been so bad.
My javelin is covered with dust and it was totally cleaned on Saturday morning for the show - it was spotless. Not now.

I'm running less filter media on my dual quad Javvy (over 6.1 liter displacement) than what these trucks come with.

Jeep Gladiator S&B COLD AIR INTAKE 1694714379800

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Stock to this point - may see if AC/Delco has a replacement. They've been good filters over the years even without looking at the charts I have.

I'll be doing another analysis after I drive a bit more with this oil as I towed several hours with the oil that's in it.

These results are from the second oil the engine had in it.

Around here, planting and harvest seasons toss up crazy amounts of dust, and this year with our big drought, it's all dust all the time. I've got to keep changing filters on my mower and washing out the pre-filter it's been so bad.
My javelin is covered with dust and it was totally cleaned on Saturday morning for the show - it was spotless. Not now.

I'm running less filter media on my dual quad Javvy (over 6.1 liter displacement) than what these trucks come with.

We been dry up here in Calgary and with that dry dusty air we’ve also had massive forest fires west of us in BC and north in mid to upper Alberta. Our skies have been thick with smoke so bad my eyes and lungs hurt. With that said, (and I know how you feel about oiled K$N filters) I run one, and have for nearly 2 decades, my silicon numbers are low too. It gets cleaned often especially after the air quality is in the toilet.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We been dry up here in Calgary and with that dry dusty air we’ve also had massive forest fires west of us in BC and north in mid to upper Alberta. Our skies have been thick with smoke so bad my eyes and lungs hurt. With that said, (and I know how you feel about oiled K$N filters) I run one, and have for nearly 2 decades, my silicon numbers are low too. It gets cleaned often especially after the air quality is in the toilet.
Keep in mind that silica (silicon dioxide) isn't in all dust.

If you have an engine with hyperuetectic pistons, silicon can be from the pistons themselves. (I had hyper pistons in my 70's 390)

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Had horrible luck with S&B on my JLUR, so I went with Mishimoto on the JLUR and on my JTM. Zero issues

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

JeepCode4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator HA
I’ll chime in also. Have always bought S&B intakes prior and in general usually added a CAI. Before my Gladiator I had a 4Runner, the S&B did nothing, fact was it made it unacceptably loud, and that motor was seeing no improvements. So I thought screw it I’ll try something for the gladiator, bought a S&B. Literally did nothing, sounded louder but added vibration in the higher RPM band also. Put it back to stock.

The current cars I have do not have any aftermarket intakes, and I’ll probably never buy one again. I’ve always thought they were snake oil, but years back I liked how they looked and ease of replacement. I’m done. My hellcat has a stock CAI that’s properly designed for the forced induction system. The 3.6 has 0 need for a CAI, and at this point in my life I’m just here to say save your money.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I am going to try and find and post the Banks video talking about NEW motors and air velocity. Apparently things are so sensitive now without tuning to match that the MAF sensors, and the manifold pressure sensors basically have to read OEM flow or check engine lights start popping up. This to me explains why there was so much lag with getting any intake out and why such high emphasis was put on “no check engine light” claims are being made… maf position, air velocity are now critical.

Regardless, I looked to the S&B to reduce air intake temps- without the additional scoop I would be willing to bet under stock ecu tuning there is literally no “gain” in performance or efficiency. Motor is calling for x air to provide y power. Increasing the flow of still limited by a maf and manifold pressure sensor (with differential parameters) it’s all a wash.
Sponsored