Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
LOL - but you are asking Jeep people if you should buy a Toyota.
No one can really answer that objectively.
Asking about trading for another Jeep, a different Jeep, etc. - these people know Jeeps. Many are here though because they moved away from Toyota or another Jeep.
Will be interesting to see what the ratio of "dump the Jeep and buy a Toyota" thoughts will be.
Yep, I'm moving from a 2018 TRD Pro with three recalls to a Gladiator. When I was talking to the dealer, another guy in a Tacoma drove up to trade for a Gladiator.
Sponsored

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
Not to be a Dick but I don’t know why people ask stuff like this. Everybody has their own opinions based on individual need and likes. I traded in a Tundra for the Taco I then traded in for the JT. Not once did it occur to me to ask anyone else what I should do. YMMV…

Edited to add that I can see asking about performance or reliability as that is a different issue altogether.
I effectively did the same thing. Went from a 2018 Tundra TRD Sport to a 2021 Tacoma TRD Pro, then over to the 2021 Gladiator Rubicon.

My personal experience is the Tundra is great for hauling around big kids in the back seat but the Gladiator comes in a close second. Don't even think of the Tacoma. There isn't enough room in the back for big kids or even small adults.

If you can find a pre 2022 Tundra with low miles, you may get a break. But a new Tundra will be well north of $60K if you try to get anything worth buying. A Rubicon or Mojave will be money well spent, but you will get close to what you spend for a barebones 2022 Tundra.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If I was rolling in "F*ck You" money, I would own both. I have owned a 2010 and 2014 Tundra and found them to be great trucks but neither one of them gave me a smile like owning a Gladiator does.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
You did mention your height and feeling uncomfortable in the gladiator. I’d say give the Tundra a test run and if more comfortable go for the tundra

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
There’s also other options. Tremor, power wagon, at4. No they’re not jeeps but have some off-road capability. Nothing against Toyota. Never had one. But I think if your going 1500 there’s lots of options

Sponsored

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Tundras always the fourth or last in fullsize truck rating. Why u want that hideous looking truck?

Gladiator is a toy truck for super light duty. Ask yourself if u need fulllsize trucks capabilities?

Deleted member 28696

Ok guys I bought a gladiator a few months ago lifted it added 37’s and 2 day after getting it I was broadsided and jeep was totaled. While I loved it for those 2 days I did not get to get out of the honeymoon phase. I’m looking for a new vehicle I was going for the rubicon gladiator again, but started considering the tundra. Now I know this is a biased place to ask but I know members have considered the same. My off-roading consists of logging roads around my camp and the yearly trip to Arkansas. Another factor is I have 3 children and I am 6,4”. Thanks for any helpful info you can give to lean me either way.

25D82D66-D54F-413D-8442-CA608F91E4C4.jpeg
Ok guys I bought a gladiator a few months ago lifted it added 37’s and 2 day after getting it I was broadsided and jeep was totaled. While I loved it for those 2 days I did not get to get out of the honeymoon phase. I’m looking for a new vehicle I was going for the rubicon gladiator again, but started considering the tundra. Now I know this is a biased place to ask but I know members have considered the same. My off-roading consists of logging roads around my camp and the yearly trip to Arkansas. Another factor is I have 3 children and I am 6,4”. Thanks for any helpful info you can give to lean me either way.

I’d consider the all Electric Sierra, Silverado, Ford F-150. I had a volt & loved it went over a year without visiting a gas station ⛽

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I’d consider the all Electric Sierra, Silverado, Ford F-150. I had a volt & loved it went over a year without visiting a gas station ⛽
But I'll bet your electric bill went up...

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Do you want the overweight prude, or the nimble sports model that will go naked when you want?

Despite what others say, the toyota is more expensive, just compare option for option and you'll easily see that. (removable doors and top are not easy to account for, but look at the difference in price between a sedan and convertible of the same vehicle to get an idea for that price)

Sponsored

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys
Three kids and a wife, get a bigger truck. I traded my F150 SCREW for the JT and I LOVE it, but you can’t beat the comfort of that Ford. My kids love the cool factor of the Jeep, but ask which vehicle they would rather drive to the cottage 2.5 hours a way and the Jeep loses.

I look at my JT as more of a toy that can do some of the things my truck could. But at the same time it can do way more stuff that my truck couldn’t.

Tough choice dude.

Edit: take a look at a Power Wagon

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith

I think that the fact that you are asking should indicate that you're not convinced. Really, Id think the Tundra, Ram, or F150 would better suit your needs.

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
While my Gladiator is in the shop, they gave me a brand new Ram 1500 Laramie. While it's a nice ride, some cool features and a lot of power, it just isn't a fun truck to drive. My Gladiator puts a smile on my face everything I drive it. The Ram 1500 sucked in a parking lot, but the Gladiator is light and nimble.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Yep, I'm moving from a 2018 TRD Pro with three recalls to a Gladiator. When I was talking to the dealer, another guy in a Tacoma drove up to trade for a Gladiator.
That doesn’t surprise me. If I was from The Shire, I’d probably be happy rolling in a Tacoma.

Papa mojo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mohave, 15 Challenger
Occupation
Retired Senior Quality Engineer
I would be leery of a first model year vehicle with turbos, but if anyone can nail it Toyota can. Ford did a relatively good job with the Ecoboost (I had one) and they really make good power with fair to good gas mileage. I guess in the end it is a personal decision. The Tundra will absolutely be a more plush ride with more capabilities but 1/2 tons are a little more cumbersome to drive and park.
Sponsored