Silverado EV promises 20k towing capability + mid gate design

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
No, it's more regional. MidAmerican, the company here, is among the lowest cost in Iowa.
We pay about 2 and a half cents at peak, off-peak summer is just under 2 cents per kilowatt hour.

This is the highest we pay summer rates - not even 3 cents/kilowatt hour - so I'm not going to complain!
1641505261939.png

Winter rates are even cheaper.
Wow, yeah thats great pricing. Our's used to be even higher than 10 cents per k/h . Rates dropped once the legislature allowed the public to shop around. That said, the cheapest provider I've ever been able to sign up with was for 9 cents per k/h.
Sponsored

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
This forum is devolving into a EV shillfest. I wonder whos behind all the pro ev posts?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This forum is devolving into a EV shillfest. I wonder whos behind all the pro ev posts?
If there was a shill as you accuse, it would literally be every single auto maker. And the post was about an electric truck. Did you expect a conversation about 80ā€™s GM square bodies?

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I know some say the gladiator is ugly, but almost every chevy truck i've ever seen is either the most boring looking vehicle, or the most hideous.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I'm in but only if they call it the grand truckoneer
I'm for it.

That leads to the next question: how has GMC not seen the marketing opportunity with a special Denali-like version of the Canyon pickup? The Grand Canyon. That's gold right there.

Sponsored

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
If there was a shill as you accuse, it would literally be every single auto maker. And the post was about an electric truck. Did you expect a conversation about 80ā€™s GM square bodies?
No but Iā€™m just mentioning it because nobody really wants electric vehicles. It seems to be just the government mandating it and a handful select 3% of the population that actually thinks itā€™s a good idea. But in reality when everybody starts to realize that electricity will get more expensive because it will be higher demand, when you realize all the lithium ion battery manufacturing is going on in China, and enough people are left stranded to wait hours for their car to charge up maybe then people will start to realize it was a bad idea. Itā€™s literally been 30 years Iā€™ve been hearing photovoltaic cells weā€™re going to become more efficient eventually one day here we are 30 years later and theyā€™re still operating at 70% efficiency .

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
No but Iā€™m just mentioning it because nobody really wants electric vehicles. It seems to be just the government mandating it and a handful select 3% of the population that actually thinks itā€™s a good idea. But in reality when everybody starts to realize that electricity will get more expensive because it will be higher demand, when you realize all the lithium ion battery manufacturing is going on in China, and enough people are left stranded to wait hours for their car to charge up maybe then people will start to realize it was a bad idea. Itā€™s literally been 30 years Iā€™ve been hearing photovoltaic cells weā€™re going to become more efficient eventually one day here we are 30 years later and theyā€™re still operating at 70% efficiency .
It's a new technology that improves with time. It already has shown improvement since the early Prius days, has accelerated in quality and capability substantially over the last 5 years, and continued adoption across manufacturers is driving development even more. The same is going on with battery technology. None of this is stagnant or will remain stagnant. The fact that there are obstacles to overcome doesn't mean you don't try and solve them. You push forward. You develop, innovate, and adapt to change. What we're seeing here is just another step in that develop>refine>adopt cycle.

I also don't know where this "handful select 3%" number is coming from. Most people recognize that development of electric technology is the future. That's not even a statement on it's "green"-ness or anything, it's the simple fact that electric motors are far superior to ICE in almost every way. I think everyone agrees more needs to be done to the specific detracting points you mentioned, but voicing concerns over roadblocks is not the same as saying it's a bad idea. People like you eventually get out of the way for those who are driving innovation forward.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I love it when people make up statistics, and use generalizations like ā€œnobody really wantsā€ in a thread with people interested in discussing this. Youā€™re stuck in the past.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No but Iā€™m just mentioning it because nobody really wants electric vehicles.
Really? You're sure about it?
And the fact that in other countries they are selling very well and a number of people in parts of the US are all over 'em? The stats prove they are coming - the wave has started. Maybe people over 40 - no, can't even say that as I think my wife would like it except she'd be the sort that would come in the house, close the garage door, and the next day be pissed because she has 10 miles left and needs to go 50 because she forgot to plug it in. If they were like the automatic vacuums that seek their own charging port and dock when done to self-charge, that would be different, but I can see a few people being upset because of forgetting or something went wrong and it didn't get plugged in or there's bad weather and who's turn is it to go out in the 20 below cold and wind and plug the car in..... That's the thing I see stopping people like my wife. Otherwise if she could go and never spend a penny on gas - she might just be a customer.
But she will NOT give up her Grand Cherokee on the WK2 platform so she's convinced she must make this one last forever since the Grand Cherokee as she loves them is dead.

OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
come on man. Iā€™ve owned 5 Jeeps and I absolutely love my DIESEL glad.
JEEP is going electric (and very soon) so Iā€™m just trying to glimpse into the future a bit. I think itā€™d be incredibly awesome if our Jeeps had a mid gate personally since Iā€™ve only had a backseat passenger 1 time (besides my pug)

Sponsored

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
People donā€™t necessarily hate electric vehicles, they hate change.

As for this Chevrolet truck, I DO see the resemblance from the rear to the Avalanche and Iā€™m certain Chevy does too. They would not have missed it and they know of the market for Avalnaches so perhaps they wanted to skirt the design between a conventional Silverado and the old Avalanche. I disliked the Avalanche and truly hated the look of the Aztek. Yuckiest car Iā€™ve seen since Edsels.

TJRjeepn

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Gator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2011 Buick Enclave, 2009 Chevy Malibu
Occupation
Account Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The fact they didnā€™t name this the Avalanche is another missed mark by GM. Specs look pretty much as expected, and from the 3/4 view itā€™s very easy to see the Hummer EV influence. But come on GM! You had the perfect opportunity to bring back a storied nameplate and you missed it.
Thatā€™s what they do. Swing and a miss.
I hate how they ruined the Blazer and Trailblazer name with these small crossovers.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
People donā€™t necessarily hate electric vehicles, they hate change.
I haven't actually met anyone that's drive or ridden in a phev that hasnt been impressed. People hate change and it's easy to poo poo changes as being "not quite ready". This is why I think phev is the near term future because once you have one for a week and get rid of all the incorrect preconceived notions you really start to wonder why the hell everything isn't a phev. It's that I between gas and ev that lets you experience the best of both worlds but not require you to have 2 separate vehicles.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m all for the innovation, however I canā€™t see myself in a full ev yet for a few reasons:

cost, 100k for a truck I canā€™t swing - that said, as tech improves and full Evs are more common price will come down, innovation costs.

distance and charge times, I do a lot of driving, not all of it commute either. I drove from Cali to Colorado in two days. With a full ev my trip would have been longer just because of charge times, also the availability of charging stations on long routes especially on desolate highways limits travel plans.

again as the ev becomes more common so will charging stations.

lastly a full ev will limit my back country and hunting times. I have brought gas cans and stayed out of civilization for a week or longer.

so I wonā€™t be getting one anytime soon, but I am very interested in seeing how this all develops.
Sponsored