Sponsored

So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy.

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Yeah, that’s not what I’m seeing with my JT. I’m seeing much higher oil and coolant temps before a derate.

Are you running hot on your trans? Also with the 35’s are you bouncing between 7/8 a lot?

Fyi, I’ve had mine to 12100 ft altitude and don’t see derates.

Your coolant is likely at 220 in that photo by looking at the vertical gauge.

I would try driving in manual ‘mode’ and see what happens.

Again this isn’t what I have experienced so far.

I wonder if your issue is DPF related, or fuel quality issues.

Also I see your adaptive cruise was enabled. Turn that off and see if that helps.

maybe fill up at a different station?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That vertical gauge will read like that all the way from 180 to 230. Ours was running 230 on the way back from CO and the gauge in the cluster never wavered from roughly 1/2.

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is such an interesting thead. Again I will say I Love my diesel Rubi. I don't really know what all this "towing" you guys are talking about. My vehicle will derate at the drop of a hat, on a slight incline. Few weeks back we headed to Moab. Idaho is tough because the speed limit is 80, and people want to go that fast, and the hills are steep. I lost power a 5 or 6 times in Idaho and Utah... Family of 4, with our stuff for a week long vacation... that's it.

So after we returned from our trip, I started tinkering. Ordered the SB hood scoops, Moved the Horns... Here is a pic of the dash, derated, heading up Mt. Hood recently... Again, family of 4, and gear for a week road trip.

I do have 35in BFG AT's and a tazer to set the tire size.

Dash_pic.jpg
You may have something else going on. I have not heard of anyone derating without towing a load, especially in cool weather. So unless I'm wrong, or unless your family is bringing gold bars and your tires are flat, I'd take it to the dealer. Because I really, really hope we are not derating just driving around. If so, I'm out.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
This is such an interesting thead. Again I will say I Love my diesel Rubi. I don't really know what all this "towing" you guys are talking about. My vehicle will derate at the drop of a hat, on a slight incline. Few weeks back we headed to Moab. Idaho is tough because the speed limit is 80, and people want to go that fast, and the hills are steep. I lost power a 5 or 6 times in Idaho and Utah... Family of 4, with our stuff for a week long vacation... that's it.

So after we returned from our trip, I started tinkering. Ordered the SB hood scoops, Moved the Horns... Here is a pic of the dash, derated, heading up Mt. Hood recently... Again, family of 4, and gear for a week road trip.

I do have 35in BFG AT's and a tazer to set the tire size.

Dash_pic.jpg
Man, that doesn't give me high hopes for my diesel I ordered... It can get hot in Atlanta, sometimes around 100 degrees... Please report back with what the dealer can find out.

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Man, that doesn't give me high hopes for my diesel I ordered... It can get hot in Atlanta, sometimes around 100 degrees... Please report back with what the dealer can find out.
As long as you are not on 40s or are towing uphill you should be fine.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Seems like few complaints from owners in Texas. Guessing elevation with heat seems to be the biggest problem area.

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Yeah, that’s not what I’m seeing with my JT. I’m seeing much higher oil and coolant temps before a derate.

Are you running hot on your trans? Also with the 35’s are you bouncing between 7/8 a lot?
Fyi, I’ve had mine to 12100 ft altitude and don’t see derates.
I would try driving in manual ‘mode’ and see what happens.
Again this isn’t what I have experienced so far.
I wonder if your issue is DPF related, or fuel quality issues.
Also I see your adaptive cruise was enabled. Turn that off and see if that helps.
maybe fill up at a different station?
I should have took pictures of the other temps... always forget to pull up ORPages ;) Coolant temps were 212-218 usually, and the trans never ever seems to get hot. I use ACC in the lowlands, but I like to use my foot in the hills, so it was indeed enabled, but not active. Oh and in regards to the 35's, I was worried that it would be shifting all the time, but it doesn't. I just seems to want to hang out in 8th, unless I ask it to go, and then it shifts down and goes.. unless it decides to derate :(

Assume you meant DEF, not DPF? (not snarky, just making sure don't know what DPF is?)Yeah not sure about DEF, lot of reading about what is best, but no clear answer, so I just use whatever is on sale, with a new date, and clean packaging.

Fuel? Could be it... I don't fill up at the same station every time, especially on the way to Moab... I run 76, Walmart, Fred Meyers, Shell, and Sinclair...

Good Idea on trying the Manual shift option, I can give that a shot.

@yolo If I had gold bars, I would just keep the Diesel for me around town and get my Wife a gasser for road trips... but my tires all just got rotated, so they are running at 42 PSI when they are warm. Forgot to let some pressure out to soften the ride.

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I don't think my dealership wants to hear from me anymore since the Front bottoming out issue. Not sure how helpful they will be on this one, since they won't be able to recreate the issue, and video proof is not sufficient.

Great chat... Thanks for all the feedback, this is really informative thead.

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
I should have took pictures of the other temps... always forget to pull up ORPages ;) Coolant temps were 212-218 usually, and the trans never ever seems to get hot. I use ACC in the lowlands, but I like to use my foot in the hills, so it was indeed enabled, but not active. Oh and in regards to the 35's, I was worried that it would be shifting all the time, but it doesn't. I just seems to want to hang out in 8th, unless I ask it to go, and then it shifts down and goes.. unless it decides to derate :(

Assume you meant DEF, not DPF? (not snarky, just making sure don't know what DPF is?)Yeah not sure about DEF, lot of reading about what is best, but no clear answer, so I just use whatever is on sale, with a new date, and clean packaging.

Fuel? Could be it... I don't fill up at the same station every time, especially on the way to Moab... I run 76, Walmart, Fred Meyers, Shell, and Sinclair...

Good Idea on trying the Manual shift option, I can give that a shot.

@yolo If I had gold bars, I would just keep the Diesel for me around town and get my Wife a gasser for road trips... but my tires all just got rotated, so they are running at 42 PSI when they are warm. Forgot to let some pressure out to soften the ride.

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I don't think my dealership wants to hear from me anymore since the Front bottoming out issue. Not sure how helpful they will be on this one, since they won't be able to recreate the issue, and video proof is not sufficient.

Great chat... Thanks for all the feedback, this is really informative thead.
Man! Tough that this is happening for you, also yes, curious if your diesel particulate filter (DPF) is getting clogged up (maybe an active regen (Dealer invoked) is needed?

thanks for the info on the 35’s

Last edited:

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Seems like few complaints from owners in Texas. Guessing elevation with heat seems to be the biggest problem area.
It’s happened to me on two separate trips while towing in Texas. The last time was the weekend prior to 4 July. It derated four times. The hills just kill this thing.

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
If you're derating while not towing a load, I would certainly take it back to the dealer. Your coolant/oil temps are way lower than what I've seen/experienced when mine started to derate.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
You may have something else going on. I have not heard of anyone derating without towing a load, especially in cool weather. So unless I'm wrong, or unless your family is bringing gold bars and your tires are flat, I'd take it to the dealer. Because I really, really hope we are not derating just driving around. If so, I'm out.

I derated this past Friday. up in Colorado.
I drove a back way from CO Springs to Woodland Park then up to St. Mary's glacier. came to a stop sign where I was going to make a left turn to then get on Hwy 40 that parallels I-70 west.

I was not towing. had one kiddo in the vehicle with me, nothing in the bed, small ice chest in the back seat.

The auto-start/stop kicked in at the stop sign, engine shut off.
It was my turn to go.
Let off the brake, engine immediately starts, no problem.
Went to accelerate and felt WEIRD.
I could only get up to 45 mph.
Put on my hazards, took foot of accelerator, slowed to 5mph.
Put my foot to the floor and the Jeep leapt off the line!
Felt perfectly fine and rapidly accelerated to 65ish-mph.
No check engine lights, nothing.

Elevation was probably around 8,000 feet
Temps:
231 Coolant
249 Oil
204 Transmission
29 oil pressure
14.2V battery

Just dropped it off at dealership this afternoon and only code is an injector circuit.

I'll update as I'm updated.

My dealership has been GREAT!!! The service writer spent about 20 minutes with me going over every detail to make sure he fully understood everything I had done prior to the lights and issue and when the issue popped up. It was not in a "you did something wrong!" way, but in a way that he truly wanted to help and get the problem resolved.

They secured a rental car for me (free) and advised they would contact me every day with an update, even if to say "no news".

I was advised they have two dedicated diesel techs that ONLY do diesel and they also have an in-house engineer to escalate the weird.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Update:

The wire harness that goes along the frame rail and the DEF pump was across a stud. Normal vibration and driving caused it to wear through the wire. This caused the code for the injector and service DEF. It is also the cause for my de-rate.

The wiring harness is being fixed and the jeep engineer has already put together a case so other dealers can help diagnose the problem if they run in to it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Update:

The wire harness that goes along the frame rail and the DEF pump was across a stud. Normal vibration and driving caused it to wear through the wire. This caused the code for the injector and service DEF. It is also the cause for my de-rate.

The wiring harness is being fixed and the jeep engineer has already put together a case so other dealers can help diagnose the problem if they run in to it.
Bravo - I assume if I remember correctly, this will "go on the books" of the STAR team so any dealership that looks for assistance with a similar problem will find it's already documented and they can get the diagnostic help they need.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Bravo - I assume if I remember correctly, this will "go on the books" of the STAR team so any dealership that looks for assistance with a similar problem will find it's already documented and they can get the diagnostic help they need.
Yes. Typically they put it where it can be found when putting the P code in the search area.
Sponsored