Sponsored

So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
If that were the case, the JT could have a rating of double or more? By your definition, one could just switch into low range and pull 20k up the hill at 1 mph and arive at a good tow rating?

Torque is the measurement of the amount of work an engine can exert, while horsepower defines how quickly that work can be delivered.......The J2807 test would be to prove actual usable horsepower since the test dictates a 40mph minimum speed up the "Davis Dam Grade" for a SRW vehicle.

Another thing I have not found yet on the J2807 test.......Does the vehicle have to be warmed up at the start of the test, or could someone drop off a fresh chilled truck with a trailer attatched roadside and start the test? Surely that would buy some more overhead?
Are you sure you replied to the right comment? I said please *don’t* tow double the rated weight because the ability to move the weight *isn’t* the only criteria.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Are you sure you replied to the right comment? I said please *don’t* tow double the rated weight because the ability to move the weight *isn’t* the only criteria.
My bad.....Missed a couple of words in your post that changed the meaning. Apologies!

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
My bad.....Missed a couple of words in your post that changed the meaning. Apologies!
All good man! The internet is an easy place for misunderstandings!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Mine gets hot too on steep grades but i am towing way more . My camper is a 20 foot nobo that is 24 feet long and is 5k lbs louded . Also way more truck weight 4 people and a need full . On a scale i was about 11500 loaded . Also i did have to floor it on a couple steep grades but it maintained 75 mph and i am on 37s . Also look into the banks daringer for a good upgrade option , i do not have it yet

20210514_125630.jpg

Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I saw that on the road I'd steer clear

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, guys!

FWIW, I came very close recently to ordering a 2021 diesel Gladiator Rubicon. A very beautiful light/medium truck, no doubt about it, and how cool is that to be able to take off the doors and roof, and drive off-road, with the added ability to tow light loads, as necessary?

But, just like another poster here stated, I tend to overkill things, juxtaposed to pressing my luck. My towing needs are similar to the OP’s, pretty light weight and small stuff, but I never, ever, ever want to worry about over heating, and stressing both my vehicle and myself out, even when going up very steep and long hills at 70mph.

I have therefore recently made the decision to place an order for a 2022 F450, equipped with the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel. Yes, it’s going to cost me $20k over what the fully loaded Gladiator would have cost me, and it’s certainly no way going to be an off-roader (albeit I will spec it out with the Off/Road 4X4 package). But, I will have tons and tons of nice excess reserve power. So, no worries, and I will be a super happy camper, smiling all the way, as I tug my trailer up any hill, with my A/C blasting cool air, even if the ambient temp is north of a 100 degrees!

Of course, to each his own, and YMMV!

Trucks have their purpose and none can do it all

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 11.57.34 PM

Sponsored

tjZ06

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 JGC Overland 4.7 HO, '18 JGC Trackhawk 6.2 SC
Occupation
Tech
Hindsight is always 20/20, but yes, you should have asked to take the Gladiator home for a few days to test drive the vehicle.
What dealer are you working with that is going to allow that, especially towing with a brand new vehicle that isn't past the required 500 miles?

-TJ

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I saw that on the road I'd steer clear
Nah, looks worse than it is. NOBO's, e-pros/geo-pros, and some of the Winnies are pretty light. My e-pro is similar, all aluminum build and is ~4000k lbs dry, probably around 4300 with batteries, propane, some water in the lines, silverware, etc, and ~4500 lbs ready to go camping. It could be a little more or less.. I have not weighed in yet, but it's just the wife and me and we pack light.

That said, I would never tow mine without a good weight-distribution/anti-sway hitch (I use an Anderson style). And of course a brake controller is mandatory. But, I have zero stability issues and can comfortably drive with one hand and relax (minus the occasional semi blowing past me doing 90). It's not an F350 obviously, but it's not bad really.

Now, you are pulling a wall down the highway, so the faster you go you will feel it, and your gas mileage plummets, especially on hills, but anything at or below 65mph is a breeze (unless of course it's hot outside and you are on hills).

Mine is 22ft. Notice how bad one angle makes it look. Also, in one photo I have stock 33" tires on and no weight distribution (was bringing it home from the dealer). You can see it sag, and it was sketchy driving it home on bumpy back-road highways. I don't have a pic handy of it with weight-distribution, but there is almost no sag.

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. IMG_1805
Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. Image 12-24-20 at 11.24 AM

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
What dealer are you working with that is going to allow that, especially towing with a brand new vehicle that isn't past the required 500 miles?

-TJ
I've got three dealers that will let me take a vehicle home for a few days. Interestingly, I normally won't buy a vehicle off the lot. Instead, I test drive them, then order what I want. ;)

tjZ06

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 JGC Overland 4.7 HO, '18 JGC Trackhawk 6.2 SC
Occupation
Tech
I've got three dealers that will let me take a vehicle home for a few days. Interestingly, I normally won't buy a vehicle off the lot. Instead, I test drive them, then order what I want. ;)
I do the same (test drive, order exactly what we want) and I've even had some overnight test drives... but I've never had a dealer allow towing or more than an overnight.

-TJ

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I do the same (test drive, order exactly what we want)
I've got a really good dealer in Utah. They always get me below invoice plus rebates. For example, we got $12,400 off MSRP on our 2020 Longhorn EcoDiesel, plus a heavily discounted extended warranty, and 2 free oil changes.

Sponsored

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So much of towing is staying in the strongest part of your torque curve. The diesel has the torque, even with the added weight it should Tow better than a gas motor IMOP.

Y’all with the 37’s and lift completely change so many dynamics of the JT whether it be the diesel or the gas. I like the looks of the 37’s and accessories like bumpers and winches lights etc. That said you need to decide which is more important and what your intentions are for your JT. If it is towing 5000+ lbs and a trailer that is 20+ feet long with poor trailer aerodynamics, maybe that lift and 37’s isn’t a good idea.

That said, this diesel is heavily restricted. I do not own a JT diesel, but I’ve owned plenty of 1 Ton Ford diesel 7.3 turbos ( I know not apples to apples). Before chipping, changing intake and exhaust (read un-restricting these) EGT’s on the ton diesel Fords would get high towing heavy loads. After these changes, no issues except for the stock transmission.

Back to the JT; I think in the near future there will be plenty of ways to un-restrict the exhaust and intake. Make sure you don’t have a winch and lights on the front bumper restricting airflow. Get better venting from real fender side vents and change the hood to something that actually helps as well.

Drive it slower, especially at higher elevation. I know we all get in the trap of wanting to go faster, but slowing down and staying in your max torque range will keep the JT happy.

The 8 speed auto in the diesel is stronger than the gas 8 speed. Using manual on steep grade and high elevation will help. Also a re-gear would help as well. Even with stock Rubicon 33’s.

I have the gas engine and I HATE my 245x75x17 tires, but when I am daily driving or towing weight, those small tires with the 4:10’s are awesome. The Jeep performs very well with stock Sport Max Tow setup.

IMOP you are going to need to just get used to slow easy driving towing these big RVs with the JT.

Dong this doesn’t make you weak, just realize it lets more people see your awesome rig as they drive by.

P.S. the big Ton trucks with lift and large tires rolling coal as fly by you, know that most are melting transmissions and turbos.
I think one of the things people overlook when making the change to a tire larger size is re-calibrating their system. From the factory the automatic transmission is specifically "married" to whatever tire size is on that model of the JT (Rubicon, Sport, etc). When you alter the size of the tires the rotational aspect changes, and this throws off when the transmission shifts. There are a number of devices out there, like the Tazer, that allows you the ability to access the computer within the vehicle and enter in the exact size of the tire you're now running. I am still running the stock Rubicon Wildpeaks so I cannot give any firsthand information, but I've watched a number of videos that report a smoother/correct shifting experience when making that alteration.

I've been interested in some of the products offered by Banks Power https://www.bankspower.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvNregPn28QIVmB6tBh3-LQDGEAAYASAAEgIJWfD_BwE If I understand correctly their iDash is a plug and play that will monitor their system in real time, and one has a memory stick that will record any error messages/events for future analysis. Couple that with their PedalMonster and it seems to be quite the system. At this point, since everything is running fine, I don't see a reason to make any changes.

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think one of the things people overlook when making the change to a tire larger size is re-calibrating their system.
I'm hoping most folks either have the dealer reprogram theirs, or buy a programmer so they can do it themselves. I went with the latter because I assumed I was doing to go up and down in tire height.

I think I paid ~$200 for the tazer light version if I recall.

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
This is such an interesting thead. Again I will say I Love my diesel Rubi. I don't really know what all this "towing" you guys are talking about. My vehicle will derate at the drop of a hat, on a slight incline. Few weeks back we headed to Moab. Idaho is tough because the speed limit is 80, and people want to go that fast, and the hills are steep. I lost power a 5 or 6 times in Idaho and Utah... Family of 4, with our stuff for a week long vacation... that's it.

So after we returned from our trip, I started tinkering. Ordered the SB hood scoops, Moved the Horns... Here is a pic of the dash, derated, heading up Mt. Hood recently... Again, family of 4, and gear for a week road trip.

I do have 35in BFG AT's and a tazer to set the tire size.

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. Dash_pic

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
This is such an interesting thead. Again I will say I Love my diesel Rubi. I don't really know what all this "towing" you guys are talking about. My vehicle will derate at the drop of a hat, on a slight incline. Few weeks back we headed to Moab. Idaho is tough because the speed limit is 80, and people want to go that fast, and the hills are steep. I lost power a 5 or 6 times in Idaho and Utah... Family of 4, with our stuff for a week long vacation... that's it.

So after we returned from our trip, I started tinkering. Ordered the SB hood scoops, Moved the Horns... Here is a pic of the dash, derated, heading up Mt. Hood recently... Again, family of 4, and gear for a week road trip.

I do have 35in BFG AT's and a tazer to set the tire size.

Jeep Gladiator So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy. Dash_pic
Oil temp and coolant look totally fine there!? Was that going downhill after?

OrangeCJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ5, 2021 JTRD
Oil temp and coolant look totally fine there!? Was that going downhill after?
Nope, that was on the way up. Just cuts the power and starts to lug at 248 oil temp. Not sure why... I did see 250 degrees for a sec, but then back to 248. First time it did it I was coming back on to the highway from a rest stop in Idaho, almost caused an accident when I couldn't go over 60mph. It was hot then too, but as you can see from the pic, when I saw the issue last time it was was not hot outside.

Really don't know what the deal is...altitude? Maybe the computer can't adjust the air mix quick enough coming up from sea level... Hard to believe a truck with these power/towing specifications cant haul my family through the mountains without shutting down the engine.
Sponsored