Sponsored

So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
So the sound after you shut down the eco diesel I thought was the def system purging to prevent freezing ?
@Chance575 is saying that, "the diesel circulates coolant for like three minutes after you turn the truck off. It makes a electric whine that is easily heard in a garage."

Is he wrong or his is right? If he is right, then what makes the coolant circulate? Is there a built-in electric pump?
Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
T

This is exactly what a turbo timer does. The convince it provides is you don’t have to wait in the vehicle. It does the cool down for you. Once the timer hits zero, the engine shuts down.
So, does the 2021 JTRD have a fully automatic Jeep onboard turbo temp monitoring system, whereby when you stop, like to fill up, etc., the 'computer' will automatically contiue to circulte the coolant, run the engine, and whatever else might be necessary, all fully automatically, unitl it is safe to shut the engine off, of which the latter will also be done fully automatically by the computer? If so, how come so many ppl are having the car go into limp mode after starting it up when the motor is hot, after a fill up? Very confusing right now, so many posts seem to conflict with each other. My Gecko JTRD has shipped, and arrives in 30 days, so I'd sure like to understand this before I go on a trip where my turbo might get hot. Don't want to go into limp mode, or worse yet, blow my brand new motor. At this point, I sure won't do any towing with my JTRD. I will use my F450 for those tasks, even for very extremely light loads.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
So the sound after you shut down the eco diesel I thought was the def system purging to prevent freezing ?
No, the electric pump noise is in the engine for circulating the turbo.

A separate noise could be heard behind the cab, that would be the def.

The quote from Garrett is correct. It is correct because it seems most turbo vehicles have a built in method to cool them.
The M5 will idle after you turn it “off” all on its own.

The wrx has a gravity fed system where coolant circulates to the turbo, evaporates and returns to a reservoir mounted high on the engine. It condenses and flows back to the turbo. This cycle continues until enough heat is gone that the coolant no longer evaporates.

The gladiator has a set time it circulates.

This has been discussed several times in other threads.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Is there a pump? If so, can you explain exactly where the pump is mounted?

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD

A separate noise could be heard behind the cab, that would be the def.

The quote from Garrett is correct. It is correct because it seems most turbo vehicles have a built in method to cool them.
The M5 will idle after you turn it “off” all on its own.

The wrx has a gravity fed system where coolant circulates to the turbo, evaporates and returns to a reservoir mounted high on the engine. It condenses and flows back to the turbo. This cycle continues until enough heat is gone that the coolant no longer evaporates.

The gladiator has a set time it circulates.

This has been discussed several times in other threads.
So, how come we see so many similar posts here where folks with diesel JT cars stop to fill up with diesel, then it goes into limp mode, soon after they pull away from the gas station, presumably becase the turbo has overheated. One guy called this sinking.

Sponsored

FlyingPig2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
So, does the 2021 JTRD have a fully automatic Jeep onboard turbo temp monitoring system, whereby when you stop, like to fill up, etc., the 'computer' will automatically contiue to circulte the coolant, run the engine, and whatever else might be necessary, all fully automatically, unitl it is safe to shut the engine off, of which the latter will also be done fully automatically by the computer? If so, how come so many ppl are having the car go into limp mode after starting it up when the motor is hot, after a fill up? Very confusing right now, so many posts seem to conflict with each other. My Gecko JTRD has shipped, and arrives in 30 days, so I'd sure like to understand this before I go on a trip where my turbo might get hot. Don't want to go into limp mode, or worse yet, blow my brand new motor. At this point, I sure won't do any towing with my JTRD. I will use my F450 for those tasks, even for very extremely light loads.
This was talking about an aftermarket turbo timer in response to another member saying he sits in his truck for two minutes while it idles.

It’s not always feasible to sit in your truck for two minutes every time you want to shut it down. An aftermarket turbo timer will do it for you. Turn it off, take your key, lock your truck and walk away. Two minutes later when the timer counts down to zero, it shuts off the ignition.

I was not talking anything about an internal water pump or an onboard turbo temp unit. It’s simply a timer that you set the idle time that you want it to run before shutting down.

This would only assist the heat soak issues. I explained it earlier in my first post about it.

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
When you diesel folks are starting on an incline do you experience 3-4 seconds turbo lag?

I live in a neighborhood where when I leave I have to get up to speed due to oncoming traffic, and even if I totally floor it, it takes a few seconds at least to make any power. Flat land it’s not as notable.

Just curious.

While it may seem 3 seconds isn’t a long time, it is when you are crossing a 4 lane road with traffic from both sides

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Some people have recommended letting the vehicle idle for a minute or two after parking to let the turbo drain and cool down.
I bet that happens rarely.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
An F-450 to tow a little camp trailer. 😝 come on

bl1ndman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JTR EcoDiesel
When you diesel folks are starting on an incline do you experience 3-4 seconds turbo lag?

I live in a neighborhood where when I leave I have to get up to speed due to oncoming traffic, and even if I totally floor it, it takes a few seconds at least to make any power. Flat land it’s not as notable.

Just curious.

While it may seem 3 seconds isn’t a long time, it is when you are crossing a 4 lane road with traffic from both sides

I have never had that much lag, but I have noticed lag when starting from a stand still.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Haha. Me too. Getting close to solving this mystery I think.
I haven’t researched the eco-d, but a lot of modern turbo vehicles have an six electric oil pump that circulates after shutdown. Could be the same thing here.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The lag is due to emissions. It gets worse in the summer and better in the winter. A tune will eliminate that problem.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I tried searching forums where they discussed the turbo timer for the 3rd gen EcoDiesel. I sent a PM to a person who thought there was an electric pump, but now he said he could never confirm it. The owners manual doesn't mention it, either.
Sponsored