Sponsored

So disappointed in this Diesel platform; wish there was a return policy.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
A buddy of mine is a diesel tech in Ohio. He has access to the Mopar service information. Here's his response about a coolant pump:

"It’s not in the wiring diagrams, and it’s not mentioned in the cooling system section of the manual."
Sponsored

Rat2Desert

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Creative Director
If you do shut down, how long do you need to wait?
I really don't know, after the first derate I've been extra cautious and not shut down until my final stop when towing or in really hot weather.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I did some digging and think it’s either some sort of electric pump to circulate coolant through the turbo (ala Alfa/abarth turbo technology) or it’s part of the fueling system keeping itself primed.
Seems odd it runs for so long at shut down.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I did some digging and think it’s either some sort of electric pump to circulate coolant through the turbo (ala Alfa/abarth turbo technology) or it’s part of the fueling system keeping itself primed.
Seems odd it runs for so long at shut down.
The EcoDiesel doesn't have a pump to circulate coolant nor is that an option. The Alfa Romero has built-in technology as verified in the wiring diagram below.

RoodKnr.jpg

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Obviously, there’s a few different viewpoints on this heat soak subject, but however the system works, how long does the coolant circulate after you shut-off the motor? Is it a fixed time, or variable, and if it’s the latter, is it based on thermal conditions at whatever points in the motor, or some other algorithm?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
So what is that sound then, it's obviously not a coolant pump. I am also being told it's not DEF purge. Is it Some sort of EGR cooling or something?

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Is it Some sort of EGR cooling or something?
When the engine is turned off, the throttle plate cycles back and forth and so does the turbo actuator.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Any idea what that does?
I know what it does, but I'm not sure if that's the sound that you guys are talking about. My 2020 EcoDiesel makes some noise, but as far as I know, it's either the DEF system purging or the High Pressure Fuel Pump returning fuel.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
My diesel is in D status still, but I'm trying to gain as much info as I can. Has anyone in the Arizona desert, where water freezes at 72F, having any overheating issues during the summer months without towing?
Phoenician here ... no overheating in 3500mi, I generally accelerate hard and coast easy, help to "break-in" a new engine and this engine prefers a burst and cruise. I tried easy driving with slight acceleration only to see my average MPG drop... I constantly get between 26 and 30 mpg (30 being pure hwy at 70-75)

Sponsored

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A buddy of mine is a diesel tech in Ohio. He has access to the Mopar service information. Here's his response about a coolant pump:

"It’s not in the wiring diagrams, and it’s not mentioned in the cooling system section of the manual."
Funny how little we know about these diesels and their systems ... back in the day manufacturers were all too happy bragging about their technology, giving many acronyms and flashy names. But these days, tech seems "hidden"

anyways, the sound I hear after shutdown seems to come from or very near the injection pump. Jeeze, This truck makes a lot of sounds, clicking, whining, buzzing... not to derail this derailed thread, but the sound I cannot pinpoint is one that sounds like excessive valve lash, comes and goes, but in time with the cam, i suspect its the fuel pump (since tied to cam). GDE has stated they quieted down the fuel pump ...

Azriel62

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge dually, 05 Toyota Sequoia, 49 power wagon
Occupation
Retired
Phoenician here ... no overheating in 3500mi, I generally accelerate hard and coast easy, help to "break-in" a new engine and this engine prefers a burst and cruise. I tried easy driving with slight acceleration only to see my average MPG drop... I constantly get between 26 and 30 mpg (30 being pure hwy at 70-75)
Ericshere03 I received my JTRD on 10/20. Currently just under 500 mi. Have been doing easy acceleration and driving and current mpg is 24.2. (Both highway and city)
Have been over several speed bumps and pot holes in the roads with no bottoming out. I live on a dirt with plenty of wash boarding.
I am loving my Jeep!! I haven't measured but looks like I have a good 3-4 inches to the bump stop with a nice nipple.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ericshere03 I received my JTRD on 10/20. Currently just under 500 mi. Have been doing easy acceleration and driving and current mpg is 24.2. (Both highway and city)
Have been over several speed bumps and pot holes in the roads with no bottoming out. I live on a dirt with plenty of wash boarding.
I am loving my Jeep!! I haven't measured but looks like I have a good 3-4 inches to the bump stop with a nice nipple.
Try accelerating with a “stiff foot” let the turbo spool and get the torque flowing, RPMs should only ever be at 2500-3000, when you hit 45-50 then coast. See if that brings you better MPG than granny footing it to 45-50 then coasting. I can’t get below 26mpg on the meter.

I have always driven this way, I call it “riding the torque curve”, it’s harder with an automatic, but I move my foot slower and can really get some sweet torque from the engine without downshifting. Or if I’ll need power I’ll blip the throttle to kick down a gear and the add some throttle as I need to get over a hill…

this strategy has always returned good MPG.Like 34mpg in a Datsun 280z, TJ would get 16-17 city and 14hwy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can we say that here?
Nipples are not sexist, men, women and everything in between have them.

Adam’s apple on the other hand, that’s pushing it, might what to use something PC like esophagual fruit.
Sponsored