Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Curious if the Cover King and the @Invictus Off Road freedom panel molle liner could be combined? Get the benefit of the molle with the sound deadening of the Cover King with sound assassin liners underneath?
I don't see why not but I'd chalk line and sew the molle panels onto the topliner prior to installation while incorporating a bit more 3M 300LSE during the process to ensure the panels could hold some weight.
Sponsored

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
I built my own headliner, painted the freedom top and put sound deadener on the panels. I had some second skin laying around from a past project. Past research showed coverage of the sound deadening, need only be a percentage of the panel to obtain good results, once it got to a point the return on investment is not there. Sound system sounds better an road noise is reduced. Retains heat better. built it for less than a 100$ and my own time, one of the better upgrades I’ve done over the years. Probably have 4 hrs into the headliner, including making the templatess. I used 3/4” insulation board from lowes and still have enough to make another pair, for the front freedom panels, going to do another color, maybe red to go with the dash? The black hardtop feels more refined.
CC754EE2-9C94-4790-B381-A01D0585B54A.jpeg
B053CEC7-58A2-49A1-8598-7C4D606FEB59.jpeg
C90A5787-8998-4CB3-B63A-B7CF116F7666.jpeg
3DD69B97-F1F5-4C5C-80B2-5DD541C1CEC4.jpeg

tjd2003

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude Ecodiesel
I just got my topliner in and was surprised at how plush and dense the material is. The odd thing is it looks thinner in some of the JL oriented videos from awhile back, I was expecting to nearly be able to see though it but no chance. I can barely see any light from my iPhones flashlight coming through pressed directly against it. Looking forward to the install over the next few days.

I'm going with thin 50 mil sound deadener on nearly all of it. I usually use 80 mil but I don't want to disrupt the molded liner from settling down nicely nor add too much weight. I picked up 2 rolls of .5" 3M 300LSE double sided tape to bolster the edge adhesion in areas where they aren't calling for it. With our full rack and RTT, wind noise is pretty significant. I'll post a thread covering the install for sure.

coverking-topliner-carpet.jpeg
I’m looking forward to seeing your results. I’m ordering the Coverking and i’m trying to decide what sound deadening would work best underneath.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I’m looking forward to seeing your results. I’m ordering the Coverking and i’m trying to decide what sound deadening would work best underneath.
Came out great, I went with 91 mil NVX in areas I thought were sensible but I now feel the entire thing could have been covered with deadener as mentioned by one of the responses, here is the link:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/coverking-topliner-review-install.53330/post-878338

Sponsored

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
What about Dynomat though the whole cabin - floors, doors, headliner, etc? Anyone do this?
Check out post #62 above. I have enough damplifier to do the rest of the Jeep, at this time I don’t see it necessary to rip up seats & carpet, take apart my doors, for install. The install above really improved the Alpine sound system and reduced overall road noise significantly.

A link to the damplifier I have used on several projects with exceptional results
https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/damplifier
On this Jeep I used regular damp on the hard top. My XJ I removed carpet installed damp pro throughout an raptor lined it, came out pretty good. I know others have used asphaltic type roofing underlayment, it’s not the same as Dynamat Pro, or Second Skin which are designed specifically to combat vibration/noise, and are made from butyl rubber which don’t off-gas or make your Jeep smell like a freshly laid built up roof when the Jeep heats up in the summer .

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
What about Dynomat though the whole cabin - floors, doors, headliner, etc? Anyone do this?
I used 80mil Kilmat for mine. I did the roof (large pieces on the two freedom panels and the rear hardtop, traced the factory headliners and applied to the roof before re-installing headliners) and the driver / passenger side floor (pulled up the carpets and lined everything).

There is a noticeable difference and Im really happy I did it. Was cheap and easy, prolly an hour of work. Not only does it help block out wind and road noise, but it also helps the sound system have more body, similar to stuffing the sound bar with polyfill.

Havent bothered with the doors though.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
There is nothing in the doors or floors. I used SoundSkin Pro (4 roll kit will do it all) in my JT doors (all 4) and floor boards. Lowered about 4 decibels overall on the reading and improved the stereo sound. Put Hushmat and polyfill in the roll bar and that also improved the Alpine Premium stereo sound.

Also noticed an improvement in cab interior insulation or temperature control.
How's the SoundSkins holding up for you? I'm looking at their pre-cut kit for the Gladiator. Then considering getting a simple bulk roll of it for the roof sections before adding a CoverKing headliner.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
How's the SoundSkins holding up for you? I'm looking at their pre-cut kit for the Gladiator. Then considering getting a simple bulk roll of it for the roof sections before adding a CoverKing headliner.
No issues at all, I would do it again. I wish they had a Gladiator pre-cut kit back when I did mine.

sizmtrz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU, 2021 JL Gladiator
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Awesome đź‘Ť

I opted out of the sound assassin strips and bought Noico 80mil instead, which covered the hard top as well as the footwells. That soundskin seems to be quite a bit more expensive, what made you decide on that brand?
I ordered the Kilmat off Amazon, as it was the least expensive option (62 bucks for 36 sq ft) also 80 mil. Amazon is amazing. I ordered it at about 2 pm on a Sunday, and it was delivered at 815 pm same day.

Has anyone who sound deadened before adding the the Coverking had issues with the adhesive sticking adequately? Just deciding if I need to compensate with some commercial spray adhesive before installing. Thanks!

Sponsored

sizmtrz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU, 2021 JL Gladiator
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I was gonna go the same route. Super convenient, but for almost 300 dollars cheaper I will cut the kil mat my self and do the roof panels to ( 72 sq ft for 124 on amazon)

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I painted my roof black and made my own headliner panels from 3/4 inch sheet insulation. Eventually, I'd like to rip out the carpet, Herculine the floors, and install an Armorlite floor. I might put some sound deadening in the doors while I'm at it.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Never understand why they just don't put in sound deadening before they ever put the the seats and everything in at manufacturer along with something like armorlite flooring
Sponsored