Sponsored

Sound deadening

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
OK turns out I couldnt take the whole top off without taking my ARE bed cap off so I ended up getting a local custom shop to do the work for me.

I also tasked them with re-installing the factory headliner over top of it... because why waste it? The coverking one fits the contours of the top so well, maybe it could work?

So they removed the factory headliner/velcro/adhesive, installed the coverking headliner then took the 'hooks' part of the factory headliner velcro off the headliner pieces themselves and replaced it with the 'loops' that are normally stuck to the hardtop and it worked.

Double headlined and doesnt feel bulky. Sound is improved from the factory headliner only but really the temperature insulation is most impressive. Especially with the 5000ft high desert utah sun. Quality of carpet is OK- not super high end feel but what I would expect for the price point. I don't look up that often anyway so I haven't really thought about it living with it now for a month. The back is mostly covered by the factory headliner anyway which feels more 'finished.'

Overall I'd say it's worth the money. If you have the factory headliner- know that you can reuse it by reversing the velcro, so don't toss the 'loop' strips that are on the hard top

(sorry pics are a bit dark- hopefully you get the picture)

2020-09-06 12.55.48.jpg
2020-09-06 12.58.14.jpg
2020-09-06 13.54.40.png
Really like the use of the mopar hothead along with the cover king. Did it deaden any of the sound?
Sponsored

OP
OP
f2f46

f2f46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Really like the use of the mopar hothead along with the cover king. Did it deaden any of the sound?
I've only driven it with the factory alone and both headliners- not with the cover king alone. So I can't say for sure but it's definitely quieter than stock alone.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 1989 YJ
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
Anyone have experience with the coverking liner? it definitely looks the cleanest, but does it have a foam layer, or is it just formed carpet? I need to throw liner in our JKU, and the Mopar is only $230 on amazon.
They are the only ones we've seen that cover the entire top. Based on what I can see, I'd imagine they would have to be thinner than the alternatives. We're going to get a set and will likely shoot a product comparison video to show everyone the similarities & differences in the products and materials used so everyone can have a better idea and make the choice that best fits their needs.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
They are the only ones we've seen that cover the entire top. Based on what I can see, I'd imagine they would have to be thinner than the alternatives. We're going to get a set and will likely shoot a product comparison video to show everyone the similarities & differences in the products and materials used so everyone can have a better idea and make the choice that best fits their needs.
Wound up using the Mopar. Nice fit, staying put so far. I would definitely spend more for a set that has filler panels for the single layer portions with full coverage on all exposed fiberglass.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 1989 YJ
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
Awesome. How much weight do you think that added? Anything significant?
Sound Damping & Thermal Insulation material isn't that heavy. Our butyl-based, Sound Assassin Full Floor Packages for the JT have a shipping weight under 25lbs. Spread out over the entire floor, it's nothing in terms of added weight.

Each individual sheet (20" x 14.5") weights just over 1.0 lbs. So if you're also putting them in the doors, it's not much added there either.

Sponsored

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
OK turns out I couldnt take the whole top off without taking my ARE bed cap off so I ended up getting a local custom shop to do the work for me.

I also tasked them with re-installing the factory headliner over top of it... because why waste it? The coverking one fits the contours of the top so well, maybe it could work?

So they removed the factory headliner/velcro/adhesive, installed the coverking headliner then took the 'hooks' part of the factory headliner velcro off the headliner pieces themselves and replaced it with the 'loops' that are normally stuck to the hardtop and it worked.

Double headlined and doesnt feel bulky. Sound is improved from the factory headliner only but really the temperature insulation is most impressive. Especially with the 5000ft high desert utah sun. Quality of carpet is OK- not super high end feel but what I would expect for the price point. I don't look up that often anyway so I haven't really thought about it living with it now for a month. The back is mostly covered by the factory headliner anyway which feels more 'finished.'

Overall I'd say it's worth the money. If you have the factory headliner- know that you can reuse it by reversing the velcro, so don't toss the 'loop' strips that are on the hard top

(sorry pics are a bit dark- hopefully you get the picture)

2020-09-06 12.55.48.jpg
2020-09-06 12.58.14.jpg
2020-09-06 13.54.40.png
What local shop did you use for the install?

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Has anyone added sound deadener to their door panels? I installed the hotheads liner (noticable difference) and lined my front footwells (not as noticable) but was thinking about ordering another batch of deadener. We mostly use this vehicle for long camping trips so anything that reduces noise on the highway is always nice.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote HotHeads. I installed it and really like just the basic stereo now. It's better than good enough for sure.

*sidenote: I forgot how much the HotHeads added to sound deadening until I pulled my Freedom panels for a Sunrider. I love the SunRider, but damn near pulled it back out just because of the difference in stereo and overall cabin noise...

And YES, I'm being a "b!tch" about additional noise. :)

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Has anyone added sound deadener to their door panels? I installed the hotheads liner (noticable difference) and lined my front footwells (not as noticable) but was thinking about ordering another batch of deadener. We mostly use this vehicle for long camping trips so anything that reduces noise on the highway is always nice.
Yes, I put SoundSkin brand in the doors and floor boards. Got a 3-4 decibel improvement in road noise and stereo sound was better. Also seem to help with the AC/Heat as well. My Gladiator already had the OEM headliner with sound deadening.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Yes, I put SoundSkin brand in the doors and floor boards. Got a 3-4 decibel improvement in road noise and stereo sound was better. Also seem to help with the AC/Heat as well. My Gladiator already had the OEM headliner with sound deadening.
Awesome 👍

I opted out of the sound assassin strips and bought Noico 80mil instead, which covered the hard top as well as the footwells. That soundskin seems to be quite a bit more expensive, what made you decide on that brand?

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Awesome 👍

I opted out of the sound assassin strips and bought Noico 80mil instead, which covered the hard top as well as the footwells. That soundskin seems to be quite a bit more expensive, what made you decide on that brand?
Just researched reviews and ease to work with for cutting.. Seems all the top brands will do fine. Be real careful and take your time with the trim tool not to break any tabs when removing the door panels. Not hard, but a second set of hands at times certainly helps.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Just researched reviews and ease to work with for cutting.. Seems all the top brands will do fine. Be real careful and take your time with the trim tool not to break any tabs when removing the door panels. Not hard, but a second set of hands at times certainly helps.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll end up giving this a try in the near future

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
I just got my topliner in and was surprised at how plush and dense the material is. The odd thing is it looks thinner in some of the JL oriented videos from awhile back, I was expecting to nearly be able to see though it but no chance. I can barely see any light from my iPhones flashlight coming through pressed directly against it. Looking forward to the install over the next few days.

I'm going with thin 50 mil sound deadener on nearly all of it. I usually use 80 mil but I don't want to disrupt the molded liner from settling down nicely nor add too much weight. I picked up 2 rolls of .5" 3M 300LSE double sided tape to bolster the edge adhesion in areas where they aren't calling for it. With our full rack and RTT, wind noise is pretty significant. I'll post a thread covering the install for sure.

Jeep Gladiator Sound deadening coverking-topliner-carpet

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Curious if the Cover King and the @Invictus Off Road freedom panel molle liner could be combined? Get the benefit of the molle with the sound deadening of the Cover King with sound assassin liners underneath?
Sponsored