Sponsored

Steering issue?

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi Everyone,

I love the Gladiator, but really think something is wrong with the steering, or maybe it’s just my steering....

JeepCares saw my post, and someone called me. I’ve been to two different dealers, and both said that’s a common complaint with the JL and it is what it is ....

Below is a link to a video of the amount of Play I have in my wheel on a highway. Backroads are fine....

If it is what it is, that’s fine.... I’ll live with it. Do you guys have a ton of play in the wheel? I constantly and “steering” on a highway.
Sponsored

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Hi Everyone,

I love the Gladiator, but really think something is wrong with the steering, or maybe it’s just my steering....

JeepCares saw my post, and someone called me. I’ve been to two different dealers, and both said that’s a common complaint with the JL and it is what it is ....

Below is a link to a video of the amount of Play I have in my wheel on a highway. Backroads are fine....

If it is what it is, that’s fine.... I’ll live with it. Do you guys have a ton of play in the wheel? I constantly and “steering” on a highway.
Hi Everyone,

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
What is your daily driver? What are you comparing it to? Hell my ‘04 F150 has play in it fresh off the showroom floor.
European type sports cars are planted and more direct in feel.
My Cherokee ‘17 has more “play” than my
‘15 F150. Remember also it’s a different steering box compared to independent suspension. We are dealing with solid axle,
(You knew that) just making a point.
When I drove 2 different Gladiators I feel it was just fine. Maybe check tyre pressures and have a “safety “ look round.
Otherwise I think you’ll be ok.
Cheers mate

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Just looking at the video, every time you move the wheel the jeep responds by reacting. I am not sure what type of steering you have, but if its the std power steering pump and steering assembly then you could have some minor slop. And yes if it's like most there is an adjustment screw that allows you to tighten up. You may possibly have some air in the PS system, rare, but can happen.

Splash some water under the front tires and turn lock to lock, listening for any unusual sounds, grinding and check your PS fluid before and after to see if it has gone down any.

Or have your SO slowly turn the wheel lock to lock while you watch the PS fluid if it is visible looking to see if it goes up and down equally as your SO goes from left to center to right.

Let us know if you observe anything.

turkeyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Instead of moving it back and forth, move it to one side or the other By the same amount and see what happens. Will it cause you to turn, or stay straight?

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
It is very hard to tell from the video if you are just overreacting to the fact that it drives like a jeep.

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
Your issue is you have never driven a Solid Axle in a front vehicle. And not the rear but a front solid axle. Typically a solid front axle truck will have a walking sensation which she does wander. My big Ford F-250 and my F-450 did the same thing. Most trucks light trucks that is have an independent front suspension. And as an comparison this is my Ford Ranger which drives down the road like a Cadillac lol. Hope this helps and if you get a beefed up steering stabilizer and or 2 it may help a little
Welcome to the JEEP COUNTRY nothing drives like them good and bad lol.
F34980C6-2616-46AF-89A1-49350E185EA1.jpeg
09C4E897-53B7-4504-8FCB-1D0B3216C39B.jpeg

9E484FDA-A918-400B-937A-A718F0C8E421.jpeg

1776C92B-2840-4B69-B4E0-F09A9C0AF141.jpeg

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your issue is you have never driven a Solid Axle in a front vehicle. And not the rear but a front solid axle. Typically a solid front axle truck will have a walking sensation which she does wander. My big Ford F-250 and my F-450 did the same thing. Most trucks light trucks that is have an independent front suspension. And as an comparison this is my Ford Ranger which drives down the road like a Cadillac lol. Hope this helps and if you get a beefed up steering stabilizer and or 2 it may help a little
Welcome to the JEEP COUNTRY nothing drives like them good and bad lol.
F34980C6-2616-46AF-89A1-49350E185EA1.jpeg
09C4E897-53B7-4504-8FCB-1D0B3216C39B.jpeg

9E484FDA-A918-400B-937A-A718F0C8E421.jpeg

1776C92B-2840-4B69-B4E0-F09A9C0AF141.jpeg
I’ve owned Wranglers for the past 12 years or more. I sold my JK four years ago, and bought a Grand Cherokee. I don’t remember any of my old Wranglers wandering on the highway like this truck.

I think the wandering is one thing, but the “dead spot” in the steering makes it exaggerated. I find myself constantly steering.

I’ve never had that on my JKs

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
Interesting what model Gladiator do you have? And what Jk models did you have? The reason I ask the Rubicon is set up different and has bigger tires and wheels. Which bigger tires and wheels create more wandering and steering drift on highways and or higher speeds. And in the video why are you juggling the steering wheel? Let the steering wheel go and have your hand right there to see what it does I think your overreacting.

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Interesting what model Gladiator do you have? And what Jk models did you have? The reason I ask the Rubicon is set up different and has bigger tires and wheels. Which bigger tires and wheels create more wandering and steering drift on highways and or higher speeds. And in the video why are you juggling the steering wheel? Let the steering wheel go and have your hand right there to see what it does I think your overreacting.
I was just trying to show the play in the wheel... that doesn’t bother me as much as the wondering.... having the play just makes it hard to correct the wondering,

I saw that the JLs had the sand issue...

Sponsored

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
So many people bitching about the steering had me nervous about test driving one but coming from a clapped out XJ and watching that video I’m thrilled to drive a truck with that precise of steering again.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Hi Everyone,

That's normal for electric power steering. You'll get used to it.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
JT (and JL) have Electrohydraulic power steering and its a little bit different then Electric power steering. The JT (EHPS) uses an electric pump for the fluid and can vary the amount of assist added in situations via software but the system cannot turn the wheel (that im aware of). Electric power steering (EPS) usually has an electric motor connected directly to the steering rack either via gears or belt that add force to either assist or resist turning. with EPS you can actually tune out road wondering and drift from road crown using sensors and providing the force input against it so the driver does not have to. You can also do fancy party tricks like parallel park a car without touching the wheel and turn the car with one finger while the engine is off.

Now, @Vismich from your video, this looks normal for the situation... hear me out lol. There are a lot of physics at play here (yay more vehicle dynamics!) and jeeps, unlike most vehicles have heavier tire tread and more side wall. At high way speed there can be enough force that the small amount of steering input (I know it looks big on the steering wheel but try the same input when stationary and look out the window at the wheel there is not much travel at the wheel face) can possibly be taken up by the tire deflecting. I had / did this on my JK after I added bigger tires. I could saw at the wheel and the vehicle would continue to track straight. If I just made one input, there was no problem and the vehicle would go where I pointed it.

I am no tire expert, but I think this could be something people are feeling and just are not use to because of the small sidewall/big wheel trend. (other then the JL physical problems people have found, missing welds, loose joints...)

Anyway just my thoughts.:beer:

If anyone is into it, here is some info I found about tire dynamics. (Warning Enginerding / Maths heavy)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/aligning-torque

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Interesting history...

"Bias ply tires are strong, but the rigidity offers some interesting handling characteristics if you’re accustomed to driving on radial tires. The rigid construction means that bias ply tires do not conform to the road surface as efficiently as a radial tire. This creates a “wandering” sensation, as the tires tend to follow the ruts and breaks in the pavement. This wandering is not hazardous, but it definitely requires the driver to pay more attention, especially at highway speeds."

https://www.hemmings.com/hmw/bias-ply-or-radial-tires.html

OP
OP

Vismich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
JT (and JL) have Electrohydraulic power steering and its a little bit different then Electric power steering. The JT (EHPS) uses an electric pump for the fluid and can vary the amount of assist added in situations via software but the system cannot turn the wheel (that im aware of). Electric power steering (EPS) usually has an electric motor connected directly to the steering rack either via gears or belt that add force to either assist or resist turning. with EPS you can actually tune out road wondering and drift from road crown using sensors and providing the force input against it so the driver does not have to. You can also do fancy party tricks like parallel park a car without touching the wheel and turn the car with one finger while the engine is off.

Now, @Vismich from your video, this looks normal for the situation... hear me out lol. There are a lot of physics at play here (yay more vehicle dynamics!) and jeeps, unlike most vehicles have heavier tire tread and more side wall. At high way speed there can be enough force that the small amount of steering input (I know it looks big on the steering wheel but try the same input when stationary and look out the window at the wheel there is not much travel at the wheel face) can possibly be taken up by the tire deflecting. I had / did this on my JK after I added bigger tires. I could saw at the wheel and the vehicle would continue to track straight. If I just made one input, there was no problem and the vehicle would go where I pointed it.

I am no tire expert, but I think this could be something people are feeling and just are not use to because of the small sidewall/big wheel trend. (other then the JL physical problems people have found, missing welds, loose joints...)

Anyway just my thoughts.:beer:

If anyone is into it, here is some info I found about tire dynamics. (Warning Enginerding / Maths heavy)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/aligning-torque
Thanks for the reply. The loose steering in the video isn’t the real problem I think I’m having... i find the keep wandering on the highway, and at times I feel like I’m driving a bass boat or like its steering from the back. Hard to explain.
Sponsored