Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's what I found that worked for me.

And, for what it's worth, I've owned a half-dozen solid axle Jeeps of all models and years. There IS an issue with the JL. I hope it doesn't translate to the JT but apparently it will.

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
So while Iā€™m waiting for my LE, I have been driving a variety of rentals. The current is a 2019 Malibu.

It has electric power steering same as the JL and JT albiet rack and pinion vs recirculating ball. Guess what? It drifts and overcorrects until you are used to driving it. Even then it steers numb on center. We will all have to get used to this because it it driven by Cafe standards to reach fleet mileage goals. Features such as annoying Stop/Start,electric power steering and the regenerative breaking alternatorā€”BMW are all efforts to get extra MPG to meet CAFE.

I have a JLUR. Does it drive the same as my old CJ-5, 69 Gladiator, 76 J-10, 79 Cherokee, 85 2 door baby Cherokee or any of my previous 4 JKURā€™s? NO!

It drives better. Set the tire pressure where itā€™s supposed to be, put the tilt and Telescoping wheel in a comfortable position and drive the hell out of it until youā€™re used to it. If you canā€™t get comfortable with itā€”sell it and buy something else.

Look at the volume of Jeeps sold. At 25k JLā€™s a month, if there was a real steering issue the news would be all over Jeep and forget about Trump. Every Ambulance chasing attorney would have a billboard up trying to get you to sue because they rann out of 90 year old Melothesioma WW2 shipyard workers who chain smoked 5 packs of Palll Malls a day to represent.

Sorry for the rant but this steering BS has got to stop. And to the person who posted about Bias Ply tiresā€”this hasnā€™t been a factory offering since the ā€˜70ā€™s or early ā€˜80ā€™s.

We ran bias tires back then because they were cheaper and more reliable than radials. Radials had a lot of belt separation issues. Bias 10.50 x31.50, 12.50x33 and even the 44 super swampers on my 77 F-100 lifted to the moon didnā€™t drift any different than radials. In fact I think they were better with beefier sidewalls.

Letā€™s find something else to Bitch about. If your not happy with your steering- guess what? You will probably get your sale price back on a trade for something else. Iā€™ll bet the Land Rover guys would kiss you to trade for some of their dead 17, 18 or 19 inventory!!!ā€™

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So while Iā€™m waiting for my LE, I have been driving a variety of rentals. The current is a 2019 Malibu.

It has electric power steering same as the JL and JT albiet rack and pinion vs recirculating ball. Guess what? It drifts and overcorrects until you are used to driving it. Even then it steers numb on center. We will all have to get used to this because it it driven by Cafe standards to reach fleet mileage goals. Features such as annoying Stop/Start,electric power steering and the regenerative breaking alternatorā€”BMW are all efforts to get extra MPG to meet CAFE.

I have a JLUR. Does it drive the same as my old CJ-5, 69 Gladiator, 76 J-10, 79 Cherokee, 85 2 door baby Cherokee or any of my previous 4 JKURā€™s? NO!

It drives better. Set the tire pressure where itā€™s supposed to be, put the tilt and Telescoping wheel in a comfortable position and drive the hell out of it until youā€™re used to it. If you canā€™t get comfortable with itā€”sell it and buy something else.

Look at the volume of Jeeps sold. At 25k JLā€™s a month, if there was a real steering issue the news would be all over Jeep and forget about Trump. Every Ambulance chasing attorney would have a billboard up trying to get you to sue because they rann out of 90 year old Melothesioma WW2 shipyard workers who chain smoked 5 packs of Palll Malls a day to represent.

Sorry for the rant but this steering BS has got to stop. And to the person who posted about Bias Ply tiresā€”this hasnā€™t been a factory offering since the ā€˜70ā€™s or early ā€˜80ā€™s.

We ran bias tires back then because they were cheaper and more reliable than radials. Radials had a lot of belt separation issues. Bias 10.50 x31.50, 12.50x33 and even the 44 super swampers on my 77 F-100 lifted to the moon didnā€™t drift any different than radials. In fact I think they were better with beefier sidewalls.

Letā€™s find something else to Bitch about. If your not happy with your steering- guess what? You will probably get your sale price back on a trade for something else. Iā€™ll bet the Land Rover guys would kiss you to trade for some of their dead 17, 18 or 19 inventory!!!ā€™
Being the person who posted about bias ply tires, I can say I posted it to inform the discussion, specifically that people have been commenting on steering from the beginning of steering. So, understood properly, it actually supports your position.

Since we're having this chat, you may like the information contained in FCA Safety Recall U48. Here's a glimpse:

"New Safety Recall Advanced Communication ā€“ U48
FCA US LLC (FCA US) has announced a safety recall on certain 2018 model year
(JL) Jeepļƒ¢Wrangler vehicles.
VINs identified as being involved in this campaign are currently live and searchable.
Stop sale is in effect for the above-identified vehicles.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
Some 2018 MY Jeep Wrangler vehicles may contain a steering intermediate shaft that
has an incomplete long seam weld, which may result in a split where the external spline
is formed. Under high steering wheel torque, the intermediate shaft may index on the
spline, causing the steering wheel to lose center positioning. Emergency maneuvers
may result in diminished steering responsiveness, which can cause a vehicle crash
without prior warning.
SERVICE ACTION
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall to inspect the steering intermediate shaft
of the suspect population of vehicles and replace the shaft if necessary. Dealers will be
notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.
This recall is estimated to launch in 2nd Quarter of 2018.
We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this
communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries
regarding involved vehicles.
Customer Services Field Operati..."

Be that as it may, I added a picture of two different sized steering wheels off a vintage Jeep. Early on, all this electric stuff was accomplished by changing the leverage, larger steering wheel, less play.

1 (1).jpg

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
There was also a TSB in 18 for a loss of power steering assist in clod weather. It was a simple computer flashā€”I had it done myself.

Like those steering wheels. Brings back a lot of memories driving no power steering cars and trucks!

WNCJEEP

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition Rubicon Gladiator; 2014 JKU Rubicon; 1981 CJ7 Laredo
I can't stress enough how much difference airing down from 45 psi to 37 psi made for me. It's now a dream to drive.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Wandering on the highway can be brought on by over inflation, unequal inflation, internal shifting of tire plys. improper caster adjustment to much-to little or caster to far apart, [caster is set at each front wheel wheel up to a .5 degree variance is ok, get beyond that and you can get wander.

Your not have a burning sensation in feet are you? Any chance you are hauling Plywood? Lot of factors come into play.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
There was also a TSB in 18 for a loss of power steering assist in clod weather. It was a simple computer flashā€”I had it done myself.

Like those steering wheels. Brings back a lot of memories driving no power steering cars and trucks!
I bought my FIRST PS car in 1974, never knew I was missing something, also my first car with AC.

STEELCITYDJ87

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM White, 2021 JLR Black
My wifeā€™s BMW X4 M40 floats and pulls on every ridge in the road with the terrible run flat OEM tires. When I put on the winter wheels with Blizzaks...floating disappears.

After reading this thread i decided to air down the tires a couple PSIs and kept doing it until I got it more settled on the road and it worked pretty well. Not perfect but the run flats pose another whole element to the mix.

So when I finally take possession of my JTR next month I will be airing down or changing out the tires.

LowOnCash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
JT (and JL) have Electrohydraulic power steering and its a little bit different then Electric power steering. The JT (EHPS) uses an electric pump for the fluid and can vary the amount of assist added in situations via software but the system cannot turn the wheel (that im aware of). Electric power steering (EPS) usually has an electric motor connected directly to the steering rack either via gears or belt that add force to either assist or resist turning. with EPS you can actually tune out road wondering and drift from road crown using sensors and providing the force input against it so the driver does not have to. You can also do fancy party tricks like parallel park a car without touching the wheel and turn the car with one finger while the engine is off.

Now, @Vismich from your video, this looks normal for the situation... hear me out lol. There are a lot of physics at play here (yay more vehicle dynamics!) and jeeps, unlike most vehicles have heavier tire tread and more side wall. At high way speed there can be enough force that the small amount of steering input (I know it looks big on the steering wheel but try the same input when stationary and look out the window at the wheel there is not much travel at the wheel face) can possibly be taken up by the tire deflecting. I had / did this on my JK after I added bigger tires. I could saw at the wheel and the vehicle would continue to track straight. If I just made one input, there was no problem and the vehicle would go where I pointed it.

I am no tire expert, but I think this could be something people are feeling and just are not use to because of the small sidewall/big wheel trend. (other then the JL physical problems people have found, missing welds, loose joints...)

Anyway just my thoughts.:beer:

If anyone is into it, here is some info I found about tire dynamics. (Warning Enginerding / Maths heavy)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/aligning-torque

Thanks for the reply - electric steering is the wave of the future but at the same time can create problems. Large motor homes use a system called Comfort Drive which is an electric servo motor to help steer the coach and also serves to straighten the wheel while stationary. This system has a problem like our pickups if adjusted incorrectly. If the gain or assist is too strong the power steering overrides the vehicles positive cambers ability to return the steering to the chassis center. This is what is happening on the pickup. Every time you add a corrective steering movement the truck continues on that same track rather the return as it should so youā€™re constantly correcting the steering Instead of the steering camber correcting it.

Itā€™s my guess our assist is set too high over riding camber return, so a simple firmware update could cure the problem.

Regards Mike

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
My buddy complained to me of the wandering in his 19 Rubicon JL and I recommended he try the Fox Racing Shox, factory race series 2.0 ATS steering stabilizer. He pulled his old one off and could open and close it with very little pressure. He bolted the new one on and his wandering is significantly better. I'm taking him on a test drive in the JT with me to get his opinion on the wandering at highway speeds for comparision with the JL and how much I may be able to cut down on the wandering

Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
I've now driven my LE a couple hundred miles and the freeway I pop onto is an 80mph limit (yay Montana). I've not noticed anything concerning as it relates to steering. While its shape causes more push in cross winds, I can still drive it with my left arm on the rest and left hand on the bottom left of the wheel. I did lower the cold tire pressures from the dealership/factory to 36 from 42.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I drove a Sport S Max Tow yesterday (was just off the delivery truck) it was significantly better than the previous one I drove with the wandering. Both had the same cold tire pressure. I don't know if Jeep sourced better CV axles or a better stabilizer, but the difference was night and day. I easily held the wheel with one hand going 75 and it felt like the vehicle was taking less effort to hold 75. At this point, I am comfortable going ahead with getting a JT. Just need to decide Rubi or Sport S Max Tow. Ordering granite, so no issue with the wait, lol.

theHunter

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR-LE, 2019 F-250, 2011 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1997 TJ SE, 1995 F150, 1979 Corvette
I've had my LE for 2 weeks and driven 1500 miles, lowered tire pressure all the way down to 35psi, still wonders down the road like bias ply tires and yes I am old enough to know what that feels like. I have it at the dealer for another problem with the seat and have asked them to look at it for the wondering, they said nothing about it being an issue with JL's or other JT's. I own a '97 TJ with 33" tires and a '11 JKU Sahara with rubicon wheels and 33" tires and just drove it a little over 300 miles last weekend and it does not have any issues with steering, I know it doesn't have the electric assisted steering but it does have 95,000 miles with the original suspension. I will let you know what they tell me.

As for the run flats on BMW, had a '14 X3 with them and they have such a stiff sidewall that they tend to road walk on rutted streets but it never wondered on the road. Also have driven numerous Ford F150's with electric assist power steering with no issues similar to this.

Pazzo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I've now driven my LE a couple hundred miles and the freeway I pop onto is an 80mph limit (yay Montana). I've not noticed anything concerning as it relates to steering. While its shape causes more push in cross winds, I can still drive it with my left arm on the rest and left hand on the bottom left of the wheel. I did lower the cold tire pressures from the dealership/factory to 36 from 42.
This has been my experience as well. 45 PSI from the dealer and it wandered on the way home, 70 miles of highway and some gusty winds.
Since lowering to 36psi, the wandering is noticeably less. Steering is still relatively light compared to other vehicles I've owned.

theHunter

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR-LE, 2019 F-250, 2011 JK Sahara Unlimited, 1997 TJ SE, 1995 F150, 1979 Corvette
Just picked up from the dealer and they said the toe in was off and once that was set correctly they rotated tires and once I got it out on the highway it drives like my other Jeeps now. Not sure if the ones that are wondering all have the same problem or not but maybe the alignment machine was off that day or the guy operating didnā€™t feel good or something. I am just glad it is fixed now.
Sponsored