First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I wonder how the old-fashioned theft device "The Club" for the steering wheel would work in today's high-tech theft world? :idea:
they work great for the unprepared, but I have seen them defeated relatively easy. They can use Co2 and quickly freeze the lock and break it, or they carry a small portion of a hacksaw blade and cut directly through the steering wheel.
Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
With today's hi technology with the battery operated hand tools just makes it just that much easier also...

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Back when the club first came on the market a friend of mine had his truck stolen. The thieves left the club in his parking place. They cut the steering wheel.

BigDKY

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport

RomeyIII

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and have been in love for the past 1.5 years. Everything came to a sudden end this morning when I woke up and went outside to find that it was gone. From video surveillance I obtained from two of my neighbours, we can see two thieves walk up like they owned it, reached under the engine area (Assume they cut the horn wires, disabling it from sounding by the alarm) opened the hood, you can see quick car light flashing on/off, and they jump in it and drove away. Took under 4 mins from the time they walked onto my property at 4:50AM. Called the police and it was the second Jeep Gladiator reported for my area today. There have been several thefts of Jeep Gladiators reported in the past few days in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Please take precautions to protect your Jeep Gladiators, Wranglers, and other Jeep products as they are all susceptible to new theft measures.

Add a separate hood horn or other deterrent devices along with video security. Wish I had a garage big enough to park mine.

Be safe, protect yourselves and your very defenceless Jeep babies!

IMG_0135.JPG
Did not read through this whole 26 page thread, but do you the U connect software on your phone? tracks your Jeep location....

Sponsored

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
The day after I picked up my Gladiator I added hood locks. Mainly to keep my batteries and LED lights safe….and now the jeep itself.

My last Wrangler (TJ) had “The Plug” installed. Now that Iloved!!!! Good luck stealing the Jeep with that. Properly installed it is AWESOME! I have put it on my other cars over the years as it is not some stupid alarm piece. You could leave the keys on the seat without the doors on the car and without the matching unique plug pin the car still will not go as the plug is required to complete the electrical circuits within the car for starting.

They have held contests to see if someone could steal the vehicle with the plug and nope. You have to spend hours tracing all the wires in the engine bay as it is camouflaged etc. Sure they could tow away your JEep but easier to move on.

Most thieves do not even know what the Plug is so have it installed somewhere reachable but somewhat obscure. Even if they figure out the obscure gray plug is involved and cut the wire right at the plug it does not do a bypass letting them steal it.

https://www.ravelco.com/

That so sucks they took it.
Had an appointment with them for Thursday install. $600. They called me today At 3. To cancel. I had already scheduled the day off for them. They stated “ it was. Not worth the money to came to San Diego to do one install.” This appointment has been set up since last week. I read that there customer service was not good. I do like to give the eveyone a chance. However it seems those people are correct. I canceled my order with them. It’s a shame, seems like a good product

ParatusExpeditions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I've read some concerning stuff about Ravelco. They've also tried to shut down reviews that were criticizing the product. Most of them can only be found via the web archive now...
I was all in for this, but after reading a bit, not sure if it's the best solution in 2022.

(cross-post of my original post on the SD tremor forum).

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Back when the club first came on the market a friend of mine had his truck stolen. The thieves left the club in his parking place. They cut the steering wheel.
Thieves actually target and prefer the club to many other security devices.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I've read some concerning stuff about Ravelco. They've also tried to shut down reviews that were criticizing the product. Most of them can only be found via the web archive now...
I was all in for this, but after reading a bit, not sure if it's the best solution in 2022.

(cross-post of my original post on the SD tremor forum).
An installer screwed up. Yes the wires could be cut and then someone can work under the hood to reassemble the OEM wires as article stated (hello hood locks) but 99.9999% of car theives except professional ones are not going to do this. They are not going to spend 30 minutes doing electrical work on your car when they can move on to one and steal it in under 3 minutes. Having been a law enforcement officer I will say that almost every single car thief I ever saw, arrested or recovered a car from is one of opportunity and ease, such as cloning the fob etc.

Ravelco is a unique kill switch and yes in my opinion too expensive. But is it a kill switch you cannot just toggle off and on if you find it. All in a good product in layered security. Combine that with the alarm noise (or other thing to make it a pain in the as) or anything else you want to add and your jeep is pretty darn safe. They move on to an easier target.

It is just like lug nut locks. With the right tools it can be defeated. Every single anti theft device can be defeated by the right person. Dont let anyone tell you different. The idea is to be the pain in the ass to steal car so they will pick a different car (like a house…windows unlocked and no alarm versus windows with track bars, dog and alarm).

You dont have to run faster than the bear, you only have to run faster than the other guy.

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To prevent my jeep from being stolen I fill my gas tank with sand and then take it back out before I go anywhere. :CWL::LOL:

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
It is just like lug nut locks. With the right tools it can be defeated. Every single anti theft device can be defeated by the right person. Dont let anyone tell you different. The idea is to be the pain in the ass to steal car so they will pick a different car (like a house…windows unlocked and no alarm versus windows with track bars, dog and alarm).
Exactly this!

The key is put several levels of security to slow most of them down, they won't bother, UNLESS your vehicle is for some reason VERY desirable, i.e. rare, loaded with 'stuff', famous. This is what I do, double triple layer when possible.

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
How easy is this with our current steering wheels? Anybody know of any specifics, actual experiences? Would thieves cut the Club instead?

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Why not add a hidden fuel pump kill switch. It did prevented my Honda Prelude from being stolen twice. Can be creative and use one of the Aux button or any unused dash button.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the end of the day the gladiators have a sentry key system that ”immobilizes” the engine when key fob is not at the vehicle and the vehicle is locked. Not saying this is a perfect system, but it is one.

Most likely what happened with the initial jeep (since one of the thiefs had a laptop next to the car) was that they were relaying the key signal from inside his house to the jeep outside and basiclaly broadcasted to the jeep allowing it to be stolen. Someone was standing at the house door or side picking up the signal and then sending it to the laptop.

Get a nice faraday pouch for your key fob and keep your key in it when you are away from your vehicle.

Then throw some form on hood lock on to keep your goodies in the engine safer.

Paranoia only breeds paranoia.
Sponsored