First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I hate the hood locks on the market that integrate with the grill because I have a front camera. No good for me.
Yep, that is why I didn't get the front camera...I love my rear camera though...BUT, if jeep was to do this right on new cars, they would just put in a cable system like most of us have had in our other cars.

Someone might say they can just break your glass and pop the hood sure they can, but it does act as a deterrent - it filters out lots of a-holes. Or jeep can put a locking system on it so they would have to defeat that too...A lot of ways to do it.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It is a no-brainer and Jeep should do this for both a security enhancement and a safety enhancement (save the clichés folks we heard them already 100X lol). They can keep the outside hood latches one really has nothing to do with the other...They still have a secondary function, and many folks like the look. I like them, but if I had to choose I'd give them up for locking hood.
How is it a safety enhancement? There's still a secondary latch. That part is no less safe than anyone else. It's required by fmvss to have a secondary latch, so it doesn't fly up while you drive. In that sense, jeep actually has 3 latches, everyone else has 2.

But I would hate to give up the latches on the outside. I would not want to anyway. Since that's one of the things that has never changed, despite all that has, I think it's one of those things most people like. And most people consider part of the DNA of the Jeep. Top off. Doors off. Latches on the outside. Hinges on the outside, stick on bulging fender flares. Solid axles.

Hood locks are readily and cheaply available for those who want them. I might get some if I modify at all.

Anyway, scary, but check these videos out. Hood latches or not, mopars are flawed, but it's not the hood latches. It's been a major issue on challengers and chargers for many years, and their hoods lock. The hood latch is a red herring. The real issue is the security of the keyfob.

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Not exactly sure how this forum works, but is there a way for mods to lock threads for going way off topic? This thread has run its course, we all need to move on here.
Usually for politics or really way off.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
How is it a safety enhancement? There's still a secondary latch. That part is no less safe than anyone else. It's required by fmvss to have a secondary latch, so it doesn't fly up while you drive. In that sense, jeep actually has 3 latches, everyone else has 2.

But I would hate to give up the latches on the outside. I would not want to anyway. Since that's one of the things that has never changed, despite all that has, I think it's one of those things most people like. And most people consider part of the DNA of the Jeep. Top off. Doors off. Latches on the outside. Hinges on the outside, stick on bulging fender flares. Solid axles.

Hood locks are readily and cheaply available for those who want them. I might get some if I modify at all.

Anyway, scary, but check these videos out. Hood latches or not, mopars are flawed, but it's not the hood latches. It's been a major issue on challengers and chargers for many years, and their hoods lock. The hood latch is a red herring. The real issue is the security of the keyfob.

On the hood latches, it is just me, I am old school - lol, as much as I like the look of those side latches now (i didn't at first), they don't give me a warm-fuzzy at about 70+ mph :).

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
So it sounds like there are several ways to disable the ignition - question is, which is easiest and cheapest and most effective.
wiring a relay to the clutch or brake switch seems like it would be very simple so you could disengage the ability to “depress,the brake or clutch to start”.
I have a Sprint Booster and it has a disable mode so I haven't needed a kill switch. On my manual trans you need to push in the clutch to start, auto trans you need to push the brake to start. I think that's where I would start looking to add a switch. Let me know what you come up with.
some method to remotely disable either of the fuses would seem to be a bit more complicated than the brake or clutch option.
Pull a relay or two. Fuses can be replaced or improvised with a wire poked in the holes.
Pulling K03 or K06 or maybe both would prevent - or should prevent - starting, or cranking at all.
Very simple to test in the driveway. Take out one of the relays - the starter relay should prevent it from cranking at all.
Wondering if the aux switches could be used in any of these situations. would Expect that anyone looking for kill switches would overlook the aux switches because they are in plain sight! A combination of switches would further enhance the Chances of figuring it out.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Passive entry not required. You approach truck, you push button on fob to unlock - that unlock signal is blocked but captured by the box. You press again, it unlocks.
Now they have a copy of a code that will unlock your truck, one that hasn't been used (because it was blocked by crook) and will still be good for xx number of unlocks.
The fob, of course, can be captured just because you have it.

I like the fact I could unlock, lock, or start my truck from many feet away with my fob, I hate the fact that I could unlock, lock or start my truck from so many feet away because the crooks like the fact that I can.

There's so many ways this could happen, and of course likely the instructions could be found on tiktok, and the stuff needed to make it happen on ebay.
Oh it’s on EBay. Our dealer ordered one, tested it, saw how easy it is to use, and surrendered it to the local officers to be aware. We had 5 durangos 3 Grands stolen in 1 month

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
The stolen jeep here didn't have the passive entry system. I guess the key is still the same on it though, since we all have push button start? My thought was they stole the signal from the fob, old school style, but it didn't require the passive entry system for them to do it.
I guess I should have said that’s the common and easy way.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking they put one of those devices up under the JT somewhere that recorded the last code used like the one in the “Wired” article I posted earlier.
And that's where many vehicle thefts and hacking have happened for many years - physical access to the vehicle. When parked in a public place, it's so simple to stick GPS trackers and other devices under the vehicle. My guess is they spotted it in a parking lot, used the ipad to track it, removed their device and it had the signals recorded - they're in.
Hood locks are good, too, the cost of batteries is crazy and even a bad battery can be sold for 5 bucks or even more locally here.

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Coward is defined as… a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things. If you won't fight against criminals for something as simple as property rights, you won't fight for anything at all. Appears you have chosen the role you wish to play in this life.
I never said I wouldn't fight, I said I wouldn't murder them.

You want to "win" an argument with an anonymous person online, fine. You win. Feel superior now?

Murdering a person for stealing a THING is a wrong and always will be. You can't handle that someone freely and openly admits having a position you don't agree with? Grow up, there are only BILLIONS of people that don't agree with either of us.

Last edited:

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I never said I wouldn't fight, I said I wouldn't murder them.

You want to "win" an argument with an anonymous person online, fine. You win. Feel superior now?

Murdering a person for stealing a THING is a wrong and always will be. You can't handle that someone freel and openly admits having a position you don't agree with? Grow up, there are only BILLIONS of people that don't agree with either of us.
Stopping a felony, defending your property, and using deadly force against another that will do you harm is not murder. The sad state this nation and other nations are now in is the direct result of apathetic individuals such as yourself... unwilling to hold criminals accountable.... unwilling to enforce laws... unwilling to do what is necessary... unwilling to fight back. Enjoy being a victim.

Sponsored

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
So it sounds like there are several ways to disable the ignition - question is, which is easiest and cheapest and most effective.
wiring a relay to the clutch or brake switch seems like it would be very simple so you could disengage the ability to “depress,the brake or clutch to start”.

some method to remotely disable either of the fuses would seem to be a bit more complicated than the brake or clutch option.

Wondering if the aux switches could be used in any of these situations. would Expect that anyone looking for kill switches would overlook the aux switches because they are in plain sight! A combination of switches would further enhance the Chances of figuring it out.
I don't think you can all three...cheap and most effective don't usually work.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can recall when access to the ODB (1 or 2) port was in the engine bay. Access to a lot of things was out there. To hack a vehicle meant only that you needed physical access to the vehicle for a few seconds, even with the doors locked, because you could access OBD ports. They were then moved into the cabin where they were more easily protected. If someone wanted to mess with a vehicle, they could open the hood, and they were able to install their wares.
So it would seem that hood locks at least reduce the risk of hacking or theft by making access to the fuse and relay panel a bit less easy.
I am an advocate of hood locks for those who believe they may be at risk for theft of parts (batteries and other parts) or other "damage" (to include theft of the entire auto)

I had a 68 Javelin and I parked on a college campus where things happened, and had to leave my car outside in the apartment parking lot. There were no garages, and in fact to this day, those apartment complexes have no garages. I installed hood locks. It involved drilling through the hood of course for the lock cylinders and the chrome bezels, but no one got my hood open. (it was also to prevent people from snooping under the hood after I trounced them in certain activities)

There are so many simple and inexpensive things that can be done to thwart the vastly most common threats/thefts. Yeah, the fob hijacking happens, but that is still a small percentage. The huge, and I mean it as it sounds, percentage of auto thefts are thwarted by more common sense things. Even some of the fob hijacking could be at least minimized. But honestly, the vast majority of all thefts are not high-tech.
It still comes down to common sense, accessibility, awareness. That's pretty cheap.
But still everyone is concerned more about the percentage of thefts that is really small and so unlikely to happen. It's interesting how when something is stolen, the thing turns instantly to the least likely and least common methods and that's what it's all about.
I still know some folks from the IHP - I might just ask them what percentage of thefts in our state are high-tech and how many are prevented by common sense stuff. But people will worry about the high tech no matter what.

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
There are so many simple and inexpensive things that can be done to thwart the vastly most common threats/thefts. Yeah, the fob hijacking happens, but that is still a small percentage. The huge, and I mean it as it sounds, percentage of auto thefts are thwarted by more common sense things. Even some of the fob hijacking could be at least minimized. But honestly, the vast majority of all thefts are not high-tech.
It still comes down to common sense, accessibility, awareness. That's pretty cheap.
But still everyone is concerned more about the percentage of thefts that is really small and so unlikely to happen. It's interesting how when something is stolen, the thing turns instantly to the least likely and least common methods and that's what it's all about.
I still know some folks from the IHP - I might just ask them what percentage of thefts in our state are high-tech and how many are prevented by common sense stuff. But people will worry about the high tech no matter what.
Yep, true facts, most thefts are due to owner carelessness and leaving things in plain sight in the cabin. I even pull my Midland GMRS unit out of the truck when parked, as many accessories only take seconds to hide from view. Simple visible things like steering wheel locks, e.g. Club, and hood locks will make amateur thiefs look elsewhere, another Jeep maybe.