m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Many MT vehicles have dual mass flywheels. My previous 3 vehicles all had them with stock clutches and there were no issues related to drivability. I dont think the DMF has anything to do with the ASS or drivability on this platform. I believe the drivability and stall-happy nature of these is 100% related to the twin disk clutch setup and for some of us, the really tall stock gearing. I have zero evidence to support this, but this is my opinion from driving 500,000+ miles on other vehicles with DMFs with no discernible difference in drivability between single and dual mass. Maybe FCA will pick something from the LuK catalog instead of just doing another reflash.. wishful thinking.
My understanding of the issues is that the clutch is not completely disengaging and building up enormous heat and failing. Besides a simpler single clutch design and a heavier flywheel, the Centerforce hydraulics have a longer rod on the release cylinder and additional insulation and braided lines. They are mum on their redesign except that “factory specifications were inconsistent”.
Sponsored

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
My understanding of the issues is that the clutch is not completely disengaging and building up enormous heat and failing. Besides a simpler single clutch design and a heavier flywheel, the Centerforce hydraulics have a longer rod on the release cylinder and additional insulation and braided lines. They are mum on their redesign except that “factory specifications were inconsistent”.
It appears CF is adapting the JK hydraulics to the JL/JT to increase release bearing travel to operate their larger 10.4" clutch. The difference in both cylinder sizes make a small change in the hydraulic ratio.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Many MT vehicles have dual mass flywheels. My previous 3 vehicles all had them with stock clutches and there were no issues related to drivability. I dont think the DMF has anything to do with the ASS or drivability on this platform. I believe the drivability and stall-happy nature of these is 100% related to the twin disk clutch setup and for some of us, the really tall stock gearing. I have zero evidence to support this, but this is my opinion from driving 500,000+ miles on other vehicles with DMFs with no discernible difference in drivability between single and dual mass. Maybe FCA will pick something from the LuK catalog instead of just doing another reflash.. wishful thinking.
There can be huge differences in DMF behavior depending on relative masses and coupling. I can very clearly detect a springy rattle easing engagment at idle speed. That rattle will easly become a stall. Thats my clutch with 38k on it. The clutch its self is quite nice and has zero slip even pulling trailer with 3K honda fit. I do agree the engines low torque aggrevates the issue.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Bummer. How hard it is to make an manual transmission that works properly and lasts 200k these days. This was something that was very doable 30yrs ago. This takes me back to my sweet 2009 regular cab Tacoma, classic bench seat and all the glorious cheapness of Toyota... They had Luk and Asin making the pressure plate for them... The Luk had more 'fingers' on the plate, which led them to be weaker and warp causing slipping during normal driving acceleration.

WTF.... The autos keep getting better and the manuals (except in the Tacoma! my 2018 TRD Off-road auto was a steaming pile of garbage) keep getting worse, poop.
What toy just described is exactly whats happening to these clutchs

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
Generally a clutch that drags enough to get hot will make shifting very difficult. I suspect the heat issue is simply naive drivers not realizing how much slipping they are doing. And its hard to control that dual plate until is bedded in.

I wonder what constraints are preventing Jeep from chaning the design parameters to match the truck use case.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It appears CF is adapting the JK hydraulics to the JL/JT to increase release bearing travel to operate their larger 10.4" clutch. The difference in both cylinder sizes make a small change in the hydraulic ratio.
Generally a clutch that drags enough to get hot will make shifting very difficult. I suspect the heat issue is simply naive drivers not realizing how much slipping they are doing. And its hard to control that dual plate until is bedded in.

I wonder what constraints are preventing Jeep from chaning the design parameters to match the truck use case.
I think dual mass design can shift a bit easier even even when not completely disengaged. That said this has affected a small sample size

I suspect Jeep bean counters just want to kill the manual transmission and make it go away. My guess is that they starved the engineering team of resources during development and they are starting them now instead of getting this fix right.
Frankly they could flip the script and offer a good quality, well engineered manual transmission, clutch, hydraulics and proper gearing from the factory and charge a small premium. Most people don’t buy auto because it’s cheaper - they do it for the experience or b/c they are old coots who will have a manual transmission in their hearse, like me

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
I think dual mass design can shift a bit easier even even when not completely disengaged. That said this has affected a small sample size

I suspect Jeep bean counters just want to kill the manual transmission and make it go away. My guess is that they starved the engineering team of resources during development and they are starting them now instead of getting this fix right.
Frankly they could flip the script and offer a good quality, well engineered manual transmission, clutch, hydraulics and proper gearing from the factory and charge a small premium. Most people don’t buy auto because it’s cheaper - they do it for the experience or b/c they are old coots who will have a manual transmission in their hearse, like me
You may be right. Ill bet they thought the manual was a cost saving feature. This asin manual is a dull tranny too. There are much better designs.

ericnewcom

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR MT

They did similar things to the HD rams the last few years the manual was available. I bought a 2018 ram because it was the last year for a full size in the states would offer a manual. Ram only offered 1 rear end gear ratio 3.42 I think it was for all SRW HD trucks. You can get away with that in an auto but it was not only horrible in the manual it caused an early death of the clutch using it as a tow and haul rig like designed.

I've put over 200k miles on a stock clutch with 85% of those miles towing with a full steel enclosed work body on a previous truck so I know I don't abuse clutches. The ram clutch was slipping in 4th by 20k miles. I fully believe it was due to having to overcome the tall gears with similar work duties.

A re gear and a southbend clutch made the truck like it should have been from the factory.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
There can be huge differences in DMF behavior depending on relative masses and coupling. I can very clearly detect a springy rattle easing engagment at idle speed. That rattle will easly become a stall. Thats my clutch with 38k on it. The clutch its self is quite nice and has zero slip even pulling trailer with 3K honda fit. I do agree the engines low torque aggrevates the issue.
I understand that and if the argument against the DMF were instead, "the stock flywheel is too light", I might agree but there's nothing inherently wrong with having a DMF. I think some people want to use it as a scapegoat when it's not likely the problem.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
I understand that and if the argument against the DMF were instead, "the stock flywheel is too light", I might agree but there's nothing inherently wrong with having a DMF. I think some people want to use it as a scapegoat when it's not likely the problem.
Maybe. I tend to think of DMF as the worst of both worlds. You get the easy stall of a super light flywheel ( like my 7" clutch aluminium track car) and the sluggish mass of a solid flywheel. Note that when aftermarket flywheels are fitted the trucks idle about with clutch fully engaged without stalling. And, it you try that with the DMF just befor it stalls you can hear the DMF rattling.
Try it.

Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
@seven30 Yeah, I'm really just postulating here from limited experience as I can say that my other vehicles with DMFs aren't at all stall-happy (3000ish lb curb weights and 30lb DMFs) and don't make noise either. You come off the clutch pedal and like you'd expect, the car moves forward without any resistance or throttle input (depending on road grade of course) so therein lies my opinion about the inherent nature of the DMF having nothing to do with stall. Hell, maybe 29lbs is just too light in a vehicle with curb weight of 5000lbs. I'm sure it's more complicated than that though.

I'm not sure the rattling noise us manual trans folks hear is actually the DMF either. JKs have the same rattle. My JT makes so much rattling noise close to stall RPM in 1st. Going up my driveway in 1st every day sounds like marbles in a can.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My issue with Dual Mass system and light flywheel is the added complexity and relative lack of durability trade offs with minimal benefits in shifting, NVH, and probably minor gas mileage IN A SOLID AXLE OFFROAD VEHICLE. Just doesn’t align well with the do anything, go anywhere marketing and supposedly intended purpose of a Jeep Truck. Probably nothing inherently wrong with DMF but sometimes the simplest, toughest solution is the best solution.

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Bummer. How hard it is to make an manual transmission that works properly and lasts 200k these days. This was something that was very doable 30yrs ago. This takes me back to my sweet 2009 regular cab Tacoma, classic bench seat and all the glorious cheapness of Toyota... They had Luk and Asin making the pressure plate for them... The Luk had more 'fingers' on the plate, which led them to be weaker and warp causing slipping during normal driving acceleration.

WTF.... The autos keep getting better and the manuals (except in the Tacoma! my 2018 TRD Off-road auto was a steaming pile of garbage) keep getting worse, poop.

This is exactly what I came in here to say when I saw this thread. Remember when high hp vehicles had to be manual, the auto just couldn't handle it? Manual was the bulletproof option.

I'd love to have my JT as a manual, I've had several in my life and truly prefer that driving experience. But when I was buying mine even then in 2020 there was talk of this clutch being an issue, scared me away from it.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly what I came in here to say when I saw this thread. Remember when high hp vehicles had to be manual, the auto just couldn't handle it? Manual was the bulletproof option.

I'd love to have my JT as a manual, I've had several in my life and truly prefer that driving experience. But when I was buying mine even then in 2020 there was talk of this clutch being an issue, scared me away from it.
The JT manual with Centerforce clutch and hydraulics and proper gearing is awesome!

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Programer
My issue with Dual Mass system and light flywheel is the added complexity and relative lack of durability trade offs with minimal benefits in shifting, NVH, and probably minor gas mileage IN A SOLID AXLE OFFROAD VEHICLE. Just doesn’t align well with the do anything, go anywhere marketing and supposedly intended purpose of a Jeep Truck. Probably nothing inherently wrong with DMF but sometimes the simplest, toughest solution is the best solution.
The devil is in the details no doubt. Just like live axle suspention DMF has plenty of paramters that can make a huge difference. I for one believe the design favors making it easy on the ASS hardware and driveability was second. Tough design choices with big consequences.

Another point is whether the stock clutch pedal system can withstand extended higher pedal pressure. My old Comanche truck has a problem with pedal linkage after installation of a stiffer clutch.
Sponsored