First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
USAF
2021 Mojave, 10/21 build date. P306 (cylinder 6) misfire since about 300 miles. Been in the shop 5 times. New rockers, lifters, VVT Solenoid, plugs and swapped injectors and coil packs. No fix. Currently having new head installed now. After reading all this, I'm pretty sure the light will come back. Sounds like a new engine is needed....
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
2021 Mojave, 10/21 build date. P306 (cylinder 6) misfire since about 300 miles. Been in the shop 5 times. New rockers, lifters, VVT Solenoid, plugs and swapped injectors and coil packs. No fix. Currently having new head installed now. After reading all this, I'm pretty sure the light will come back. Sounds like a new engine is needed....
They didn’t change the camshaft? I’m surprised they are deep diving into the engine to replace the head.

I had the cam replaced and engine runs amazing HOWEVER, my issue and still current today is my engine is consuming coolant since day one from factory to 33k kms. Nobody wants to consider a head leak causing misfire because “we can’t replace the head without the customer signing a payment agreement if we don’t find the leak”. So, misfire is fixed,…for now. Maybe in a few thousand kms and more coolant dumping in through the head gasket, things will gunk up again and cause another misfire. I’m consuming 10ounces coolant per oil change period. And oil analysis ALERTS me every time I take in a sample and I ALERT Chrysler every time I get a report BUT I have to sign a payment agreement if some wrench monkey goes in, looks around and can’t find a leak.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They didn’t change the camshaft? I’m surprised they are deep diving into the engine to replace the head.

I had the cam replaced and engine runs amazing HOWEVER, my issue and still current today is my engine is consuming coolant since day one from factory to 33k kms. Nobody wants to consider a head leak causing misfire because “we can’t replace the head without the customer signing a payment agreement if we don’t find the leak”. So, misfire is fixed,…for now. Maybe in a few thousand kms and more coolant dumping in through the head gasket, things will gunk up again and cause another misfire. I’m consuming 10ounces coolant per oil change period. And oil analysis ALERTS me every time I take in a sample and I ALERT Chrysler every time I get a report BUT I have to sign a payment agreement if some wrench monkey goes in, looks around and can’t find a leak.
That's what got me - all the other stuff that was changed but not the cams? There's some TSBs out there that even cover cam replacement in some of these cases. I'd never put used lifters (or followers, etc.) on a used cam. IMO - replace on, you replace the other.
I was surprised to not see the cams for that side being mentioned.

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sort S
Occupation
Security
Good luck. Same here. 4th time in the shop and I'm over it. They want to keep replacing parts that they've already changed and have had the truck for a total of 2 weeks already. Plugs, coil packs, Injectors, rocker arms, lifters....no dice. Waiting on chrysler to call back. Just replace the darn engine.
So after my last post the Dealer replaced the motor. After talking to a buddy that runs a garage he tells me the 3.6 liter motor is garbage. Nice Jeep just a poor choice of a motor. Runs fine now but I hear ghost ticking and don’t trust it. My 2001 Wrangler had 164,000 mile on it with no issue. Not a happy camper.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So after my last post the Dealer replaced the motor. After talking to a buddy that runs a garage he tells me the 3.6 liter motor is garbage. Nice Jeep just a poor choice of a motor. Runs fine now but I hear ghost ticking and don’t trust it. My 2001 Wrangler had 164,000 mile on it with no issue. Not a happy camper.
He's the only one that thinks they are garbage. There are what, a million 3.6 out there, some with way over 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. Sounds like he just doesn't like it like some people will say "Ford engines are garbage" because they don't like them.........
We've had multiple 3.6 engines, never an engine problem. The only trouble we've ever had that required "engine work" was a spark plug problem.
I'm always wary of blanket statements about "xxxx is garbage". I'd not want that sort to be working on one of mine if he hates them that much - he won't take the same care he would with others (not that I'd have a shop like that work on something anyway.....)

Sponsored

Herc10HueyFE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
USAF

So far, all is well. They did a test and seems that Cylinder 6 had a small leak in the exhaust valve. They tested the camshafts and everything else while it was apart and said it was all good.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Last night I picked up my 2020 JT after they had it for 15 days at the dealer. This morning I heard the ticking in the video. Brought it back in this morning, service manager says it’s a known issue and they have no fix yet, Jeep is in process of writing a software patch. My issue is they installed a new Cam Shaft that is now creating a ticking noise that will eventually cost thousands. See the service ticket. I’m told the software patch could be out next week or next unknown number of years. i am so pist off. $49,000 boat anker.

92E9E1AA-0DA6-479D-8C42-CCF7AE05A99E.jpeg

6F080855-B832-4B43-A346-BE515068C6CD.jpeg
So - I too had a misfire issue that I thought was a bad coil. Dealership told me - nope. Camshaft got ground to crap. Misfire was because an intake valve was not opening up fully. Result of one or more bad rockers. OK says I - thanks for fixing... Oh BTW I said to the dealership - did you do an oil change after all of this. He says nope - no need. I said surely there will be metal contamination and he says nope. So I'm headed to another dealership who will do an oil change for me and give me samples so I can have them analyzed. If there are any significant metal contaminants from the cam shafts or rockers I will be pursuing an extended warranty...
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1644523693163

Any advice @ShadowsPapa ?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As for the OP and the reason for this post:

Build date: (see picture below) can be found on drivers door well. MDH=month/day/hour (24 hour format)
Mileage when it first occurred: 21,000ish
How many times has it occurred: intermittent at high RPM, plus clattering sound above 3K RMS, until CEL came on and stayed on.
What exact codes did it throw: See below.
Is the issue on going?
No - new camshaft and rockers on right side intake.
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? New camshaft and rockers on right side intake
Was the iss
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1644523935497
ue ever fully resolved?
Time will tell...
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1644523933107

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So - I too had a misfire issue that I thought was a bad coil. Dealership told me - nope. Camshaft got ground to crap. Misfire was because an intake valve was not opening up fully. Result of one or more bad rockers. OK says I - thanks for fixing... Oh BTW I said to the dealership - did you do an oil change after all of this. He says nope - no need. I said surely there will be metal contamination and he says nope. So I'm headed to another dealership who will do an oil change for me and give me samples so I can have them analyzed. If there are any significant metal contaminants from the cam shafts or rockers I will be pursuing an extended warranty...

Any advice @ShadowsPapa ?
Oil and filter - cheap - and they didn't do a change right away?
Camshaft failure (and multiple other parts) and no oil change?
Here's what we used to do on a cam failure-
Do all the work, replace cam, lifters, clean everything up that you can see, change the oil and filter, run it a while, then change oil and filter again.
This isn't typical or normal wear where the particles are only found in trace amounts in oil samples, this is pieces that can actually circulate and mess with oil pumps, and in modern engines the phasers and lifters and other parts.
I'd document details - who you spoke with, when and how (in person or on phone) time if you can and so on. There may be nothing bad happen but even doing just a valve job on an engine, I do a full oil change and recommend the owner do another one in a few hundred miles.
I have seen the oil pump pickup screens plugged with debris in the past although anything is likely to be really small and not plug the screen (which is worse in a way) . Imagine those tiny flecks of steel circulating in the engine - usually filtered out but then how long would the filter go with all of that debris?

I busted a couple of pistons due to detonation in my 70 Javelin and found traces of small metal bits in the oil pan. You'd think everything would be isolated to the top end, it wasn't.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As for the OP and the reason for this post:

Build date: (see picture below) can be found on drivers door well. MDH=month/day/hour (24 hour format)
Mileage when it first occurred: 21,000ish
How many times has it occurred: intermittent at high RPM, plus clattering sound above 3K RMS, until CEL came on and stayed on.
What exact codes did it throw: See below.
Is the issue on going?
No - new camshaft and rockers on right side intake.
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? New camshaft and rockers on right side intake
Was the iss
ue ever fully resolved?
Time will tell...
PS - a 2021 and the misfire/cam issues still showing up......... interesting (well, beyond interesting for the owners of such trucks!)

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
This is how mine sat out in the parking lot for 50 days in July waiting for my cam shaft with air so thick with smoke from wild fires blowing in from BC. The air constantly filled with fine ash. Could have even had rodents running in and out of the rags for a month and a half.
25F92C8D-0429-40D3-890A-48245543A00B.jpeg

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and filter - cheap - and they didn't do a change right away?
Camshaft failure (and multiple other parts) and no oil change?
Here's what we used to do on a cam failure-
Do all the work, replace cam, lifters, clean everything up that you can see, change the oil and filter, run it a while, then change oil and filter again.
This isn't typical or normal wear where the particles are only found in trace amounts in oil samples, this is pieces that can actually circulate and mess with oil pumps, and in modern engines the phasers and lifters and other parts.
I'd document details - who you spoke with, when and how (in person or on phone) time if you can and so on. There may be nothing bad happen but even doing just a valve job on an engine, I do a full oil change and recommend the owner do another one in a few hundred miles.
I have seen the oil pump pickup screens plugged with debris in the past although anything is likely to be really small and not plug the screen (which is worse in a way) . Imagine those tiny flecks of steel circulating in the engine - usually filtered out but then how long would the filter go with all of that debris?

I busted a couple of pistons due to detonation in my 70 Javelin and found traces of small metal bits in the oil pan. You'd think everything would be isolated to the top end, it wasn't.
Thanks. I'm going to have to assume that they cleaned up inside the top end when they put the camshaft back in etc. I'm getting a full oil change on Monday. No choice but to drive about 300 miles between now and then. My ride is my only ride... I'm doing the oil change at my preferred dealership and they will give me oil samples. They are aware of my concerns and agreed with me that I would be much better off doing an oil change (so little cost, so many potential issues solved...). I've been watching the "oil life" indicator but have generally been getting to changes at about 7500 miles... as the vehicle ages I will probably try to keep changes to between 5 and 7K miles even if I have plenty of "life" left according to the computer.

So far, with 23K miles I've had the axle seal leak and now a camshaft. I feel like I am back in my old Rover but of course all of this is under warranty. But the worst part is that in the first year of ownership I've really only been offroad a couple of times - dirt trails and fire roads. Nothing challenging. Fingers crossed - these are supplier QA issues and I'm seeing the common ones. Everything else is holding up.

PS - I will say I felt so much better getting out of the Nissan Versa and back into my JTR. Just saying. Nice to have a smile on the road again!

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Build date: 11/17/19
Mileage when it first occurred: 5500ish (not puttying a lot of miles on it)
How many times has it occurred: Eventually every trip
What exact codes did it throw: P300, also live monitored with Jsacn and saw misfires on cylinders 1,3 and 5.

Currently waiting at the dealer for TSB 18-024-21.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What exact codes did it throw: P300, also live monitored with Jsacn and saw misfires on cylinders 1,3 and 5.

Makes sense as you know as P0300 is multiple misfires detected.
If it was just cylinder 5 it would be P0305

Makes sense also that it's all on the one side - the passenger or even numbered side is the one others have had problems with, isn't it? Or am I recalling that incorrectly? Seems to me it's the passenger side cams people have had issues with.

This is what it was in my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee -

2021/01/04 11:52:06.281
Faults found.
P0303
Error code: P0303
Cylinder 3 ignition failures
Test not complete
Error intermittent
Error warning lamp not requested

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT

The TSB is done and the misfire is gone.
Sponsored