Survey- For those with misfire issues

Flea1987

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
If you have had the CEL light come on with misfire codes, please respond to this thread.
Build date:
Mileage when it first occurred:
How many times has it occurred:
What exact codes did it throw:
Is the issue on going? Y/N
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue?
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Y/N

I'm just curious how many of us are dealing with the same issue and how much of a problem it truly is. I know for a fact that on my build date that 10 other JT's failed final inspection for the same misfire issue so I know there are plenty out there based off of this alone.
Not sure of the build date but just dropped mine off 10july.
Started at 16k
Had a yellow start stop light and code p0300

Hope to hear back today as to the solution.
Sponsored

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Not sure of the build date but just dropped mine off 10july.
Started at 16k
Had a yellow start stop light and code p0300

Hope to hear back today as to the solution.

This is what worries me. Most people seem to have the initial problem almost immediately, but there are a handful who have no problem for a lot of miles and then bam! You get a misfire!

Vickie Sae

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired photographer
My hunch is that there are many more Gladiators sitting in lots waiting to be sold after the pandemic and just itching for a few miles to throw a CEL and P0300 code.
Well I think you are right. This is a real nightmare. I was so excited at 60 years old to join the JEEP family but I hope us Gladiator owners aren't the red headed step kids. "nothing against red headed step kids"

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
Blinking CEL light this morning backing out of my driveway first thing in the morning, with engine shake. Third visit to Dealer this morning with the same issues of ESS needs service and CEL light. I have not owned the vehicle for 2 months yet. Mileage is 1,831.

DTrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Blinking CEL light this morning backing out of my driveway first thing in the morning, with engine shake. Third visit to Dealer this morning with the same issues of ESS needs service and CEL light. I have not owned the vehicle for 2 months yet. Mileage is 1,831.
Sorry to hear the bad news SJK. Mine is/was similar. 62 days of ownership. 40 days in the shop on 3 occasions -- CEL/ESS lights (still in the shop). I put less than 300 miles on the JT. FCA buyback is in process. I really do love the JT but not sure I'll buy another one. This process is no fun at all!

Sponsored

Gladiator Rube

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Owner
Status on second drop off at the dealer.. They reset the CEL P0300, and said they couldn't recreate the problem (really?). I literally did not make it off the lot and the ESS light came on again.

He said he contacted FCA and they told him they are trying to figure it out. No ETA however. Same issue as everyone else intermittent ESS and vehicle runs like crap. I have been taking pictures every time the ESS light comes on and will take it back for try number 3.

FCA finally called me and said they are working on a solution but no ETA.

Dealer agreed to not tear apart engine until FCA tells them to.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear the bad news SJK. Mine is/was similar. 62 days of ownership. 40 days in the shop on 3 occasions -- CEL/ESS lights (still in the shop). I put less than 300 miles on the JT. FCA buyback is in process. I really do love the JT but not sure I'll buy another one. This process is no fun at all!
Dtrees,

How did you initiate FCA buyback? Did Jeepcares offer? Did you assert a Lemon Law claim? My selling dealer suggested they might trade my vehicle, but I have a lease and am not sure that will work because I certainly do not want to pay more $$ for a problem I did not cause.

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
Build date: 12/10/19 - 1400
Mileage when it first occurred: 100
How many times has it occurred: First at about 60 miles, cleared it myself. Second today @ 380.
What exact codes did it throw: P0300 - rough idle, and occasional power drop off.
Is the issue on going? Yes
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? I dropped it off at the Jeep dealer today. Awaiting contact from them.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Not yet, but fingers crossed.

Last edited:

JayHop

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Creative Director
Add it to the growing list of customers with similar issues. I just picked mine up today after the third 0300 code CEL. Two different dealers trying to figure it out, and 25+days in shop. Drove it home, only about 15 miles, so far no CEL. If it happens again, I will probably throw my own code.

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
Add it to the growing list of customers with similar issues. I just picked mine up today after the third 0300 code CEL. Two different dealers trying to figure it out, and 25+days in shop. Drove it home, only about 15 miles, so far no CEL. If it happens again, I will probably throw my own code.
Hi, what repairs were made to remedy the issue? I hope it works for you and eventually for the rest of us. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

JayHop

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Creative Director
Hi, what repairs were made to remedy the issue? I hope it works for you and eventually for the rest of us. Thanks in advance.
Cleaned the entire fuel system (dropped and cleaned tank, cleared injectors and fuel lines, new filters, new fuel pump, checked both batteries (which were fine), and replaced the ESS sensor.

I love this vehicle, but hate driving it with the underlying dread of when the CEL might come again. It may take a few hundred more miles of clean driving for me to get over this.

ForestTech

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
Sounds exactly like mine except mine started st 250 miles. Although after 26 days at the dealer and a lot of work mine seems to be fixed. I've had it back since Fridsy and no problems yet.

ForestTech

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
Build date: 12/19
Mileage when it first occurred: 100
How many times has it occurred: First at about 60 miles, cleared it myself. Second today @ 380.
What exact codes did it throw: P0300 - rough idle, and occasional power drop off.
Is the issue on going? Yes
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? I dropped it off at the Jeep dealer today. Awaiting contact from them.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Not yet, but fingers crossed.
I just got my Gladiator back from the dealer for the exact same problem, mine started at 250 miles. They replaced 1 cylinder head, 1 cam shaft, rocker arm, rockers, cam censor and a few other things. It took them 26 days to fix it. I got it back Friday and all good so far.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my Gladiator back from the dealer for the exact same problem, mine started at 250 miles. They replaced 1 cylinder head, 1 cam shaft, rocker arm, rockers, cam censor and a few other things. It took them 26 days to fix it. I got it back Friday and all good so far.
i just hung up from my dealer service manager. She reported that software update For this problem is now available and was installed. Gladiator will be test driven tomorrow to verify the fix. I will update this thread
once I hear back tommorrow.