Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is great info! I did notice the 2020 JL's are having these same issues on the JL Wrangler forums. :(
CRAP - so much for the reliable, high miles 3.6 engines. They had quite a good reputation - we've loved 'em in our Grand Cherokees and I was actually happy there was one in the JT lineup.
Jeep will have to work really hard and fast on this one - Ford is watching.......
Sponsored

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
Build date: not sure
Mileage when it first occurred:3500
How many times has it occurred:1
What exact codes did it throw:P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Cleared code
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

my first ESS light came on around 900 miles. Upon restart it would work fine for a few weeks, do the same thing again. Now an engine light came on with it, and was on until a reader was plugged in. This was just today so no further info on the code coming back. I will keep it updated.
Just out of curiosity what model does every have that has been having this issue. My first one before lemon lawed was a overland, the one currently also having the issue is the overland as well
I don't have all information such as build date ect.
I had the miss fire codes come up as well as the ESS light on mine after about 600 miles
I had my Check Engine light on with 1200 miles on my Gladiator
Here is my update, hopefully helps others. Good luck.
Kinda hard to be happy when as of March 18th Your Brand new JT has been in the shop for 82 days out of the 123 days
Received vehicle back last week with new camshaft phasers. All power has been restored and no check engine
I have not had the Engine light turn on again.
Can you all please respond with your build dates and any additional updates? I'm working in getting more complete information. Thanks.

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
I have same issue.
I had a check engine light, with only 18 miles.
Just took my 2020 rubicon 5,000 miles in for the check engine light
I also have the same issue. In shop now and they wanted to replace engine.
Been in the shop twice, total of 8 days so far, for the code 0300 misfire CEL
I also have the same issue.
Make me #31,
before it had 400 miles I had my first misfire
dealer did the swap independently. Bad news is two days and 46 miles and ESS / CEL rough idle no power have started
I don't believe any of you posted your build dates. Can you please respond with your build dates so we can update the forum with more complete information? Also, any updates (good or bad) would be fantastic. Thanks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Build dates please. Door frame sticker look for MDH as that is month, date, hour.

Papa Yeti

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Coachman Mirada
Occupation
Retired
Full time rv-ing so I have not been able to get inTo service for this issue... until now. I’m scheduled for Tuesday... they have a Gladiator in the shop thats been there 75 days ! Was told they are doing the newest fix recommendation from Chrysler tomorrow on it. They also said it’s affecting some Wranglers and Grand Cherokees. Other than the check engine light mine runs fine... great gas mileage, great power. When this first started , after not being able to get a service appointment I called Chrysler/Jeep and had them start a case.

Sponsored

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a new theory for those of us only with the random misfire code
I had the TSB 18-053-20 done on my gladiator at 2800mi. 3 days later hit 2900mi and it all came back
I too will include my build date once I get it back.
Good afternoon. Could you please reply with your build date and any updates (good or bad) so we can gather some more complete information from this thread? Thanks.

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed the ESS messages since I got the vehicle on 8/11/2020. I've also noticed hesitation/miss-fires when at low speed and not fully warmed up. Yesterday was the first time I got the CEL. SOOO excited I get to play this game. =(

Build date: 01/12/2020 12:00pm (from MDH)
Engine build country: Mexico (per window sticker)
Mileage when it first occurred: 176
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing yet, scheduling with service now.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues Build Sticker

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
I've noticed the ESS messages since I got the vehicle on 8/11/2020. I've also noticed hesitation/miss-fires when at low speed and not fully warmed up. Yesterday was the first time I got the CEL. SOOO excited I get to play this game. =(

Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing yet, scheduling with service now.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues Build Sticker
in the famous words of John McLane. "Welcome to the party, pal."

I know this sucks. They have to do something soon.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;

Is the issue on going? Y

Build Sticker.jpg
I am through my fourth visit to address the problem. Check out my last post above. Resetting the CEL Light does not work. Flashing the PCM with the update does not work. Replacing rockers and lifters and VVL solenoid on left side of the engine did fix the problem, at least for one day now. My path to the current fix was demonstrating the engine misfire after cold start to my service advisor.

Gladiador

First Name
Edmundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales consultant
I don't believe any of you posted your build dates. Can you please respond with your build dates so we can update the forum with more complete information? Also, any updates (good or bad) would be fantastic. Thanks.
Yes, I haven’t provided that. Right now my vehicle is in the shop. Last thing we’ve been told is that an FCA representative is going to go to the dealership where my Gladiator is and check with them. They are proposing a second software update and quite honestly I am so out of patience I hope I never see anyone from FCA in front of me. I’ll get ugly

Sponsored

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Is it just me or is it starting to look like if the pandemic hadn’t happened then FCA would have kept right on producing bad Gladiator engines right up to this point. Like a year worth of screwed up cylinders?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me or is it starting to look like if the pandemic hadn’t happened then FCA would have kept right on producing bad Gladiator engines right up to this point. Like a year worth of screwed up cylinders?
PERHAPS, more likely it would have been caught sooner as they are operating on partial staff in most locations, reduced hours and so on.
It's impacted quality control and production of a lot of things. I have trouble getting lab work done on my plating chemicals - an analysis by a chemist, I heard all of their customers have that issue and are behind.
More staff, full hours, normal conditions could have found things sooner. TSBs - for example, all companies are behind on research and engineering.
The 2021 Grand Cherokee that was announced - delayed because engineers didn't have enough staff/hours to complete the project. So the 2021 GCs will be the same as 2020. The changes won't come until "sometime next year".
Now if they don't have engineering resources to complete a product already in the works and expected - would they have enough resources to deal with this in a timely manner?
Just wondering.............

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT
Got the battery changed and latest TSB done and as soon as I pulled out of the dealership, Check engine light and Start stop light was back ON but both together. The dealer plugged in and said earlier there were multiple codes but this time it’s only P0300. They will look into it deeper tomorrow

black_gladiator_TX

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Alright, long time lurker and first time poster!

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Here are my details on the CEL - P0300 problem I’m dealing with.
  • 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
  • Build date:
    • 10.26.19 - 11PM (via MDH code)
  • Purchased
  • Engine build country:
    • Mexico (per window sticker)
  • Mileage when it first occurred:
    • ~ 5300 miles (Early June 2020)
  • How many times has it occurred:
    • 4 times w/ CEL
    • ESS light has been on at least 25 days over the past 4 months
  • Is the issue on going?
    • Y
  • If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue?
    • first service appointment, I cancelled because the light went off on its own and I thought it was a loose gas cap
    • second service appointment, I received a PCM code update (issue re-appeared a few days later)
    • third service appointment they could not replicate issue and told me it was because my engine was dirty (to be fair, I hit some mud on a trail and the engine bay was pretty muddy …. Although I know without a doubt that that did not cause it.
    • fourth service appointment is later this week, walking in with the updated service bulletin I pulled from another comment in this thread. Also going in for service diff light, I suspect I got some water in the front diff breather tube … but we’ll see how that complicates things as well.
  • Was the issue ever fully resolved?
    • N
Initiated a Jeep Wave / Jeep Cares case early on in the process, been difficult to get in touch with the agent … tried again today so hopefully I can get some air cover from them on what’s best to resolve it.

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Like many folks, I’m stuck at home … so most of my driving is short runs 1-2 times a day. Seems like the lights are more consistent when the Jeep has been sitting at home, cold starts … versus a few road trips recently where the Jeep was parked outside or run for longer periods of time.

Last edited:

WvJeeper304

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI
Alright, long time lurker and first time poster!

Here are my details on the CEL - P0300 problem I’m dealing with.
  • 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
  • Build date:
    • 10.26.20 (via MDH code)
  • Purchased
  • Engine build country:
    • Mexico (per window sticker)
  • Mileage when it first occurred:
    • ~ 5300 miles (Early June 2020)
  • How many times has it occurred:
    • 4 times w/ CEL
    • ESS light has been on at least 25 days over the past 4 months
  • Is the issue on going?
    • Y
  • If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue?
    • first service appointment, I cancelled because the light went off on its own and I thought it was a loose gas cap
    • second service appointment, I received a PCM code update (issue re-appeared a few days later)
    • third service appointment they could not replicate issue and told me it was because my engine was dirty (to be fair, I hit some mud on a trail and the engine bay was pretty muddy …. Although I know without a doubt that that did not cause it.
    • fourth service appointment is later this week, walking in with the updated service bulletin I pulled from another comment in this thread. Also going in for service diff light, I suspect I got some water in the front diff breather tube … but we’ll see how that complicates things as well.
  • Was the issue ever fully resolved?
    • N
Initiated a Jeep Wave / Jeep Cares case early on in the process, been difficult to get in touch with the agent … tried again today so hopefully I can get some air cover from them on what’s best to resolve it.

Like many folks, I’m stuck at home … so most of my driving is short runs 1-2 times a day. Seems like the lights are more consistent when the Jeep has been sitting at home, cold starts … versus a few road trips recently where the Jeep was parked outside or run for longer periods of time.

I think you meant to post your build date as 10/26/19 at 8 p.m maybe? MDH reads as month date hour.
Sponsored