Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
silverado,suburban,grand cherokee
Build date MDH: 041014
Mileage 12267
Ongoing: yes
Code: P0300 and auto stop/start malfunction

I have not been to the dealer yet because my schedule is all over the place.

When I spoke with the dealer he claimed he had never heard of this with the Jeeps yet, but agreed it needed to come in.

I have always seen threads like this with other vehicles I have owned, but never thought I would ever deal with something potentially crazy like this.

Is there really no fix?

I bought this 3 weeks ago, yikes.
Sponsored

Oakstump

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Mileage 12267

When I spoke with the dealer he claimed he had never heard of this with the Jeeps yet, but agreed it needed to come in.

I have always seen threads like this with other vehicles I have owned, but never thought I would ever deal with something potentially crazy like this.

Is there really no fix?

Iā€™m super salty about this but it seems some people have had luck? Maybe??

Iā€™m supposed to pick mine up Friday from the dealer after 30-40 days there between 3 service tickets. So far they have replaced batteries, updated computer, cleared codes and this week are replacing cylinders, lifter rods and the cam shaft. To quote the service manager ā€œI donā€™t think this will fix the problem and we donā€™t know why itā€™s happening.ā€ This third service ticket is the longest and they are hesitant to close it due to Lemon Law.

Iā€™d recommend getting it in. Be warned that Jeep Cares, Jeep wave and the retention team are an absolute joke. Document everything, get the name of the district service managers, STAR service tech ect. I hope you donā€™t have the plague but if you do strap in a practice deep breathing or alternate relaxation techniques. Good luck.

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
JT performed admirably along the northern tip of the OBX all last week, even though the ESS light popped on once (I forgot to turn ESS off manually at startup). No CEL all week, but a repetitive knock at low RPM developed (b/t 1k-2k RPM). Taking it to a dealership that's worked on a JT w/ similar issues (one of y'all?) next week. Getting a JLU as a loaner. Will report back once I have something to share.
Got my JT back after 4 days at the dealer. Invoice states:
- Couldn't replicate the (@!) or misfire, but installed the flash per TSB 18-053-20 REV. B. Seems to be running at 500 higher RPM, which I actually thought would have helped from the beginning
- Road tested it and heard my knock complaint. The invoice shows they call it a "spark knock." Their solution? Recommending higher quality fuel with a note that it could be "related to changing seasonal fuel formulas?"
- I'm on the list for the upgraded steering gear

Dealer said to keep ESS on, b/c if it misfires again it might indicate a bigger battery issue. We'll see what happens next.

EDIT: Adding a description of the Flash changes that @ShadowsPapa posted in another thread, b/c he did a helluva job describing how different it acts after the Flash:
"This thing winds up tight before shifting, holds gears a lot longer, rarely gets to 8th and on the last stretch stayed in 6th with 7th about 2/3 of the time, never hitting 8th at under 45-50 where it used to get into 8th a lot, then back out, then in, then out... it winds up, holds gears, about half as many shifts!"

Last edited:

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Mileage 12267

Is there really no fix?

Hello @husker_fan
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your new Jeep. Please know that our team is available to you via private message for additional support alongside your dealer service. Do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Oakstump

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Well I got mine back. According to the dealer nothing needed to be replaced and the cam shaft was misaligned by more than 2 degrees on the intake cams. They did a cam crank relearn, itā€™s supposed to be good to go.
Between the dealer and home everything seemed fine; so hopefully itā€™s fixed? We will see how the next cold start or two go I guess.
Donā€™t know anything about cars much...any of you have input on their fix?

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine up for trip #2 today. Was hopeful that it was just the flash and done. Got a call this afternoon that they ordered parts and they are a week out. Guess it was worse than I thought. :(

Vickie Sae

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired photographer
My original post from last June 10th.
500 miles on mine and with a cold start vibrates like crazy and check engine light blinks. It's at the dealership. Love that Gladiator so much and I sure hope they find out what is going on. They said something about a star ticket and the engineers are looking and working on this problem...

Yesterday we did get it all settled and had a buy back. While I wasn't at all impressed by FCA, Our dealership made all the difference in the world. So kind and helpful all the way. I am too spooked to buy a 2021 but I am looking at seeing what the 2022 bring. Lesson learned..... Always buy from a good dealership. I am so glad we did.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I would like to take a look at one of these, with an unlocked ECM from HP tuners. Get a couple data logs and possibly confirm or disregard some theories I have.

flatboycms

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Account Rep
I hope this helps any others of us out there. This is the results of my second CEL trip to the dealer. 859 miles on the vehicle at dealer from 10/5 - 10/15. Total at dealer now 11 days between the two visits. I feel I am lucky in that respect but not out of the woods. They did the steering box as well.

2nd cel trip.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few days and few hundred miles since the dealer installed the powertrain control module flash per TSB 18-053-20 REV. B, and I'm happy to report all symptoms are gone.

Here's the TSB and the invoice for JTs w/ similar symptoms and January 2020 build date. Hoping it can help someone else.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues TSB1

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues TSB2

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues TSB3

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues Invoice1

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues Invoice2

adam25560

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler 4.0, 21 Glady 80th Anniversary Ed.
Build date: 090923, 2021 80th Anniversary Ed.
Mileage when it first occurred: 550
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: P0306
Is the issue on going? No
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Spark Plugs fouled out, replaced and re-greased. Cylinder 6 and 4 coil swap to help troubleshoot if it happens again.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Two hour drive home and so far yes.

Original Issue: Driving on the interstate for the first time and noticed a slight engine stutter, pulled over and felt the misfire. No CEL light. Turned engine off and back on, continued to misfire and CEL steady illuminated. Called for tow and its now sitting at the dealership, guessing they will dig into it this week. No other problems so far.

Last edited:

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build date: will look up, but its a 2021 80th Anniversary Ed.
Mileage when it first occurred: 550
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: P0306
Is the issue on going? Currently sitting at dealership
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Nothing because it was the weekend...
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Y/N

Driving on the interstate for the first time and noticed a slight engine stutter, pulled over and felt the misfire. No CEL light. Turned off and back on, continued to misfire and CEL steady illuminated. Called for tow and its now sitting at the dealership, guessing they will dig into it this week. No other problems so far.
Oh shit. I was hoping they fixed it for the 2021 model years (also didn't even know next year's models were on the lot). Did you literally buy it over the weekend?

adam25560

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler 4.0, 21 Glady 80th Anniversary Ed.
Oh shit. I was hoping they fixed it for the 2021 model years (also didn't even know next year's models were on the lot). Did you literally buy it over the weekend?
Bought it on Sept 30th, was the first road trip with it, fortunately the dealership had a full size pickup for us to use so we could still go camping, and from reading this thread it sounds like I may want to start getting settled in with it.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The interstate misfire I am pretty sure is a bad integration between the transmission software and throttle body air flow model. Which puts the engine in a bad spot on the timing map. I have a file that makes it happen almost on command. Changing the timing gets rid of the misfire code, occasionally the Avengers logo pops up. I believe the ESS gets angry when the the throttle body osscilates and the lockup clutch slides in and out. I have noticed on the 2020 rams they have really pulled back on the throttle closed loop control and limit the amount of correction it is able to do. I imagine that is why many feel the throttle is lazy off the line in those trucks. For the record I don't think any harm will come from the interstate misfire code. It is not really a misfire. It may eventually be hard on the torque converter. The actually engine misfire is due to the engine controller racking the cams to the min setting and limiting throttle body opening, after the code is set. If you have a Tazer, you can just clear it and be on your way.
Sponsored