Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I just got home from an epic trip on the Dusy Ershim trail. (Solo not the wisest decision but got extremely lucky and made it home in one piece)

Day 1, Friday the 6th left Lemoore and made it up dinky creek for some camping about 30 min from the southern trail head. Got set up about 1 am.

Day 2, made my way to the trail driving over the dam to get there gave an epic view. Made it to Thompson Hill in the afternoon, boy talk about a climb. Unfortunately did most of the hill at night as I underestimated the difficulty. Used the winch several times. Got to the camp at Thompson Lake around 2300.

Day 3, left early afternoon after watching two groups go towards Thompson Hill (probably much easier to go down) used the winch twice, made it to Ershim lake for another night of camping rolled in around 2000.

Day 4, woke up to some epic scenery lake in view. Left camp at 0900 and got to the north gate about 1600. I think this was the most difficult day due to the tight turns on rocks, the off camber angles etc used the winch three times.

Summary- sketchy ride going solo vehicle

Damage assessment, the skid plates (all 12) took a beating winch got a work out. I bent my tie rod, got rock rash on my wheels and broke the rear sway bar links. Managed to escape with no body damage or serious damage to the underside.

This trail is not for the faint of heart, definitely a very wise idea to travel in a group and need an experienced spotter. Armor up and have a good reliable winch. Took my rear lights off as they stick out. I would recommend either quick disconnect sway bar for the rear or take it off if you have a long body like a gladiator. Also recommend a hitch skid plate (saved my a$$)

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip image000000

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0464

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0460

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0458

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0450

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0449

the Gladiator X Comp A/T tires really impressed me!! I aired down to 18 PSI no bead locks and I punished these tires, the flex and grip that i got was amazing and the side walls held up awesomely as occasionally they would be pushing the jeep around rocks or trees.
Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0448

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0443

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0442

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0440

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0436

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0435

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip image000001

Jeep Gladiator Talk about a butt clencher -- Dusy Ershim Trail trip IMG_0482
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I love the look 😳of your lady friend on the steep loose rock downhill when you jumped out to take the picture!! Thanks for sharing awesome pictures and kick ass trail…..Jack

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
A friend of mine ran that in a 2 door JK a couple years ago.

- Caved in the front skid plate, which in turn smashed the oil pan.

- Came down on a rock so hard it cracked the driver side door glass.

- Mashed up the lower control arm mounts (frame side) to the point you couldn't slide the bolts out of them without bending the lips back down.

Etc.

Said up to that point it was the nastiest trail he had ever done. Drove that JK 4,200 miles round trip for it too (no trailering).

I said no thanks :CWL:

Sponsored

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
the one in Fresno doesn't look too bad. EDIT: I just read your post fully. I guess pictures do not show the steepness.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
the one in Fresno doesn't look too bad. EDIT: I just read your post fully. I guess pictures do not show the steepness.
Definitely not lol and I didn’t get a pic of Thompson hill, check out the reviews on all trails it’s nuts lol

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Got to do it with some buddies 25 years ago. One in a Toyota 4runner and an FJ 40. Great trip. Got almost exactly 1 mile to the gallon in the FJ. Basically had to coast from the top of Kaiser pass to save gas to get out.

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
That sound like a fun trip but crazy to do as the only vehicle. I am glad you made it safely and the pictures make the trip look great

Sponsored

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Thanks for this post. The pics are great and I appreciate the comments. Every time I see stories like this I am inspired to get out West.

Dave-in-RI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GrowMeaningful.com
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback (trade-in for 4xe Gladiator)
Occupation
Nonprofit Organizational Development Consultant
Sigh…

IMG_6689.jpeg

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just got home from an epic trip on the Dusy Ershim trail. (Solo not the wisest decision but got extremely lucky and made it home in one piece)

Day 1, Friday the 6th left Lemoore and made it up dinky creek for some camping about 30 min from the southern trail head. Got set up about 1 am.

Day 2, made my way to the trail driving over the dam to get there gave an epic view. Made it to Thompson Hill in the afternoon, boy talk about a climb. Unfortunately did most of the hill at night as I underestimated the difficulty. Used the winch several times. Got to the camp at Thompson Lake around 2300.

Day 3, left early afternoon after watching two groups go towards Thompson Hill (probably much easier to go down) used the winch twice, made it to Ershim lake for another night of camping rolled in around 2000.

Day 4, woke up to some epic scenery lake in view. Left camp at 0900 and got to the north gate about 1600. I think this was the most difficult day due to the tight turns on rocks, the off camber angles etc used the winch three times.

Summary- sketchy ride going solo vehicle

Damage assessment, the skid plates (all 12) took a beating winch got a work out. I bent my tie rod, got rock rash on my wheels and broke the rear sway bar links. Managed to escape with no body damage or serious damage to the underside.

This trail is not for the faint of heart, definitely a very wise idea to travel in a group and need an experienced spotter. Armor up and have a good reliable winch. Took my rear lights off as they stick out. I would recommend either quick disconnect sway bar for the rear or take it off if you have a long body like a gladiator. Also recommend a hitch skid plate (saved my a$$)

image000000.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg