Sponsored

The good and the bad of a roots supercharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Also now that I think about it. I am on my development tune, which has things way more amped up then what I let you all drive. Unless I specifically have asked you to test this.
Ha, sounds like our engines are going to cut loose at some point regardless of the SC anyway, so might as well enjoy it.
Facebook gladiator pages have been littered with cam/lifter problems.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Ha, sounds like our engines are going to cut loose at some point regardless of the SC anyway, so might as well enjoy it.
Facebook gladiator pages have been littered with cam/lifter problems.
Unfortunately

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watch this video, it is pretty easy to see how the lifters are screwed up

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
lol, if you're referring to the installer, the look on her face was about as confused as it gets!!

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
She installs one bank, then they cut the video as she rotates the engine 180 degrees to install the other bank of lifters. If they don't have the lifters sectioned off in the parts area she is pulling from one set will be installed backwards of the other. So that is why we are only having problems on the right side, but the left is correct! This is likely a manufacturing flow design flaw. Every engine manufactured probably will most likely have this issue!

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Dave what is the level of difficulty to get to those lifters and replace them with the correct parts before they do the damage?

I am an old school shade tree mechanic that has adjusted valves on my old chevy trucks in the past, but never done a tear down and rebuild. Is this something doable at my skill level, or should it go to the professionals?

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really is not bad at all if you get the cam tools for the 3.6. There is a video on you tube that lays out the procedure excellently. Once you have the battery and fuse box out. It really become a part replacement mission no special settings or anything. I had mine all done on a Saturday afternoon. Probably could of had beers, but I held off as I was tearing into a 60k daily driver lol.

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also If you pause and zoom in on the box labels they say intake and exhaust. She looked like she could care less were she was grabbing from

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Is there any particularly good way to diagnose this ahead of failure, short of tearing it down? Iā€™m assuming dealer wonā€™t bother unless there is a code/performance issue, will they?

Tried comparing to some random videos, but my search skills are lacking: a lot of them just say there is a tick/how to fix without an actual recording of it. Did a quick recording of mine, nothing stands out as prominent as in the videos that did have a good recording of it:

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I had to guess on that, you have an exhaust rocker not doing well. If you have the intake issues it sounds like a box of dominoes at about 2800 rom and goes away by 3400 rpm.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I got to say im so glad i traded my 2020 3.6L for a 3.0L. The description of your issues sound very familiar.

I would also get the multiple cylinder misfire "soft code" if I pushed my stock 2020 at the limiter snow wheeling or topping out on the freeway. Dealer said it was normal and so was the ticking. It had 40k on it when I traded it in but had the misfire issue from very early on. Only threw a mil above 5k for extended periods. If you drove around slowly you wouldnt notice much but the power on the top end was lacking and if you drove hard it would throw flashing codes for misfire but they would clear themselves with normal driving.

I believe this issue was the same with my engine and I was getting those symptoms.

If you stay out of the high lift VVT range you wouldnt even notice the issue.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜99 XJ, ā€˜09 JKUR, ā€˜21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
So the one thing I didnā€™t replace under my bank 1 camshaft cover was the phasers. I did replace both VVL solenoids as well. Itā€™s back together now. Wrong rockers on the intake cam, but it just barely started to slap the lobes (stuck high lift?) so it has been sitting waiting on parts. Long story short: still rattles when coming down to idle from the 3k rpm limit in park. Still on bank 1 side. All new parts except the $28/31 phasersā€¦..SMFH. It is 100% upper engine, the rattle comes and goes at idle at random. And between 2500-3600 rpm it sounds like a diesel. Phasers are coming.
Borescope doesnā€™t show a broken ring land (it would rattle constantly I think if that was the case) and the cylinder walls donā€™t even look broken in yet. If phasers donā€™t fix it I have no clue what else it could be. Any ideas or suggestions for further troubleshooting?

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜99 XJ, ā€˜09 JKUR, ā€˜21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
P.S.

When I try to initiate the process to clean the phasers through Alfaobd orJSCAN three behave like they should, with clicking as the phasers blast oil through the OCVs, but the Bank 1 Intake almost kills the engine every single time and eventually pops a ā€œbank1 intake cam lazy to respondā€ message and code. I wonder if I donā€™t have some sort of blocked oil passage???

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it shouldn't try to die when phasing back, if anything it should pickup rpm. Wonder if it is clogged with shavings. Also you did not put it near anything magnetic did you?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.