Sponsored

Tips to prevent adding regular gas in the Ecodiesel engine?

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Ecodiesel Gladiator Rubicon JT370 AEV pkg.
I'm ordering my EcoDiesel Rubicon on Thursday fully loaded then sending it to AEV for the AEV JT370 package. I know a guy at work that ruined a Jeep diesel engine with gas, he said it cost him 7000 dollars. At first I thought to myself how can someone make that mistake and it seemed sort of dumb. I mean diesel stations are usually green, it's obvious so how do people make the mistake?

So now that several people know I'm getting a Diesel all are sharing nightmare stories of smart people making dumb mistakes and it has my attention how this is happening or at least why are they not paying attention. I'm an engineer by degree, I get what happens mixing the two either way but perhaps I'm missing something. Is something that seems so simple that difficult?

Help me understand how not to make the mistake gas in diesel mistake. Do you have any reminder hacks, tips or tricks such as painting the fuel cap green? Do you only go to truck stops with high volume turn over?

Educate me how to never make a dumb mistake.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I think the gas cap will also be different/green. The f neck larger diameter

you might get a label and stick it inside the flap, “diesel fuel only”

The little blue def cap is a clue too.

All that said, habit is a powerful thing... I think you’ll figure it out

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Every gas station has green handles on their diesel pumps - except BP. BP is opposite, their gas pumps are green, diesel are black. Going to a BP station is probably the most likely way to put the wrong fuel in. I will never get fuel at BP because of this.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Really?
You drive a truck that makes a totally different sound both under the hood and out the exhaust, the smell is different, the feel when you crank to start it is different - and you'd forget?
I have ADHD (SEVERE) and even I'd be ok that way.
I had 3 big fuel tanks on the farm and a mix of gas and diesel tractors - never an issue.
If you have a gas trimmer, do you forget and put straight gas in it - or do you remember that chainsaws and 2stroke trimmers need the mixture? (I specify 2 stroke trimmers as I owned a 4 stroke trimmer for a while and had to think - ok, NOT the mixture in this one)

Sorry, but if anyone here is going to screw up such a thing, it's going to be me - I'm the guy who ran his junker $200 VW Rabbit into his F250 when he jumped into the car and forgot - oops, this one is a stick...... the starter moved the car 2 feet into my truck's front bumper. No damage, whew! So when I built my SX4 I rigged the NSS wire from the PCM to a switch on the clutch pedal - I can't crank it unless I push the clutch in.

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Really?
You drive a truck that makes a totally different sound both under the hood and out the exhaust, the smell is different, the feel when you crank to start it is different - and you'd forget?
It's not about forgetting you have a diesel. It's more about being distracted (getting a text or phone call, being bitched at by your SO, etc) when fueling and grabbing the wrong handle. Or alternatively going to the one station that inexplicably colors their pump handles opposite everyone else - because yes, people are creatures of habit.

I have yet to put the wrong fuel in my truck, but I also am not arrogant enough to think it can't happen someday.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
You're not supposed to use your phone, or get in and out of the vehicle while fueling. What would there be to cause such a distraction that you don't stop what you're doing, and fill the tank with the wrong fuel?

Sponsored

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
You're not supposed to use your phone, or get in and out of the vehicle while fueling. What would there be to cause such a distraction that you don't stop what you're doing, and fill the tank with the wrong fuel?
Like I said, I haven't done this. Have you met many Americans lately? They're not all as perfect in their fueling habits as you are.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Ecodiesel Gladiator Rubicon JT370 AEV pkg.
I respect the "ball busting" and can take it so I guess I deserve it for asking this question. I just asked the question because I don't understand how someone would / could make that mistake. As I said I work with an engineer who did it and I was literally shocked it could be done because it was the first I had heard of that mistake. What I learned is it happens weekly according to the local shop! I'm excited about my purchase and just want to make sure I dot all my I's and cross the T's.

Some interesting and humorous answers and I get the sarcasm, but I'll tell you what, I am humble enough that I take this mission seriously and will be extra cautious as if my life depended on it which in another past life my life did depend on not making mistakes in order to survive and thrive. I've never mixed up 2 stroke and 4 stroke fuel in my entire life and used to the mixture and managing it so I get that for sure. I ran an operation with Baker Linde forklifts with diesel engines and made them have two different color portable tanks green and red and did the thinking for them and it never happened...

I also like the fact one of you said it has a blue cap, if not I'd buy a nice one, it does not hurt to have the reminders. Another good piece of advice is do not let anyone fill it up, for me it won't be a problem because I am a "lone wolf" but those reading this that run in packs need to heed that advice. The no octane reading on the tank is another good reminder however they have dual stand fill stations these days which could be confusing for an amateur. Talking on the phone being distracted is a great point, I have never done that but I see others texting and driving, smoking while filling the tank with fuel in their vehicles while talking on the phone so yeah that's a dumb American thing and perhaps other countries!

Alright, I hope some of you got a laugh out of my dumb question, I am still glad I asked it and being a karma fanatic wishing good on mankind I hope this thread lasts the time and saves some innocent soul who did not think about the consequences.

Thanks gentlemen!✌

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Best thing to do is stay focused. Every time I have to pick up diesel for the tractor, I start saying "diesel" when I pull in the lot.
It is not as hard as some think to get confused when you have mostly gas engines, even when you have a big yellow five gallon jug in your hand

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
First off all, congrats on the purchase. I'm a bit envious. That's going to be an awesome rig.

Regarding your question: It really is a matter of basic situational awareness--something that many people don't practice or have. I had my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel for around 2 years, and never even came close to pumping gas, or DEF, instead of diesel. I had a handful of panicked people run up to me to tell me that I was putting diesel in my vehicle, which was entertaining and led to some very confused looks, but that was about it.

Get out of your vehicle, check the pump, trace the diesel fuel line with your eyes to make sure it goes to the correct side of the kiosk, trace it back, hit the button, and make sure that the correct type of fuel displays on the screen. I check one last time after I insert the nozzle and before I hit the button as well. It becomes habit in a short period of time, and adds maybe 5 seconds to the whole process. I now do the same thing with pumping regular gas.

Overall--don't sweat it. Just always pay attention and you'll be fine.
Sponsored