Sponsored

Tow package on a Mojave, is it worth it?

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Unless I was a hard core off roader. In which case I'd pass. Looking at all these hitches I'm realizing that if departure angle really matters, you are better off without a hitch.
If I was a hard core off roader and still needed a hitch I would replace the rear bumper with this. Looks nice and hidden hitch under the flip away plate holder, because who needs to see a plate hard core off roading! :bandit:

Click this bumper link!
Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was a hard core off roader and still needed a hitch I would replace the rear bumper with this. Looks nice and hidden hitch under the flip away plate holder, because who needs to see a plate hard core off roading! :bandit:

Click this bumper link!
That's very cool. But $1500ish shipped. Ouch.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase

Click this bumper link!
Intersting..... Off subject a bit but I wonder how this would hold up to the Jeep MaxTow specifications. Nice product though.

• ² Designed to support the loads of the factory tow capacity, but carries no SAE certification, nor is it designed to meet any DOT or FMCSA regulation.
    We produce these products in a low volume compared to the OEMs or aftermarket receiver hitch companies. As such, it's not feasible for us to get this product tested against SAE J684 specifications or design it meet specific DOT or FMCSA regulations. So while we try to over-engineer our products with the loads of the factory vehicle capacity in mind; towing a trailer on public highways is at your own risk and we make no claims on the legality or viability of doing so. We cannot offer any recommendations on capacity beyond this. If the ratings of the factory receiver hitch are important to you, we would recommend choosing a bumper that keeps that in place.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Hey, even though there are tow hooks on the rear, that receiver also makes a great centerline tow hook point. Get it. You won't regret it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's a damned good point, I've used Clevis receiver inserts for 25 years.

Hey, even though there are tow hooks on the rear, that receiver also makes a great centerline tow hook point. Get it. You won't regret it. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup. And If I'm going to attach some kind of jerk strap, its always better to have it secured with a shackle than to have it just draped around a hook.

I wonder if anyone makes replacements that bolt up where the factory hooks are that are eyes for a shackle??

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Friends, I have a follow up question I hope you can square in my newbie mind now that I am placing my order with the local dealer for the Mojave:

I am getting the Tow Package, and of course some of you pointed out in this thread that all Gladiators come with a 4 pin and 7 pin conector...

I've also read that the 7 pin conector is used for trailer break control when "needed" and the trailer has this capability (larger in size typically).

So my question is, what exactly is the seperate line-item option in the 2022 order guide: "Trailer Break Control" for $365 in the Mohave option list? It this some electrical function in the Mojave that controls the trailer breaks and via the 7 pin conector? Or something else?

Thanks,
-Joe

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Friends, I have a follow up question I hope you can square in my newbie mind now that I am placing my order with the local dealer for the Mojave:

I am getting the Tow Package, and of course some of you pointed out in this thread that all Gladiators come with a 4 pin and 7 pin conector...

I've also read that the 7 pin conector is used for trailer break control when "needed" and the trailer has this capability (larger in size typically).

So my question is, what exactly is the seperate line-item option in the 2022 order guide: "Trailer Break Control" for $365 in the Mohave option list? It this some electrical function in the Mojave that controls the trailer breaks and via the 7 pin conector? Or something else?

Thanks,
-Joe
Its the actual controller.

The wires from the 7 pin connector would be wired to the brake controller. Without buying a controller, the 7 pin connector will provide lights but not brakes.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Its the actual controller.

The wires from the 7 pin connector would be wired to the brake controller. Without buying a controller, the 7 pin connector will provide lights but not brakes.
I see thanks.

Just curious on how it works a little bit...Just a guess, is it an electrical/mechanical system which depending what is happening with the JT breaks provides electrical controls via the 7 pin conector?

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see thanks.

Just curious on how it works a little bit...Just a guess, is it an electrical/mechanical system which depending what is happening with the JT breaks provides electrical controls via the 7 pin conector?
I don't know how exactly trailer brake controllers determine how much trailer brake to pull in. But I'd bet you that 5 minutes with Google would make you an expert. ha.

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Also keep in mind most boat trailers use surge brakes which do not use a brake controller instead it is all mechanical built into the coupler on the trailer.
On campers and other types of trailers the brake controller uses inertia to determine how much power or gain to send to the brakes, you can adjust the gain on the controller on the fly on the controller you can also engage the brakes manually from the controller. The brakes are usually drum with a solenoid that actuates them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Still this debate persists. (and in dozens of threads here)
You can't bolt on a tow package. It's far more than having a hitch of some sort and a bigger alternator. If it has to be asked, then the whole concept of tow package isn't even understood.
The truck is a system of parts all working together and tested under specific conditions.
Yes, you can bolt on a hitch and tow - but it's not the same and you don't have the same ability or capacity.
If you are going to tow more than a couple thousand pounds- isn't a non-question, a no-brainer.
Too many try to make a truck something it isn't by bolting on parts.

Tow what a truck WITH a tow package is rated to tow - and your truck is not rated to tow that much, and get into an accident - you'll find value in that tow package after the insurance companies and lawyers are done.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still this debate persists. (and in dozens of threads here)
You can't bolt on a tow package. It's far more than having a hitch of some sort and a bigger alternator. If it has to be asked, then the whole concept of tow package isn't even understood.
The truck is a system of parts all working together and tested under specific conditions.
Yes, you can bolt on a hitch and tow - but it's not the same and you don't have the same ability or capacity.
If you are going to tow more than a couple thousand pounds- isn't a non-question, a no-brainer.
Too many try to make a truck something it isn't by bolting on parts.

Tow what a truck WITH a tow package is rated to tow - and your truck is not rated to tow that much, and get into an accident - you'll find value in that tow package after the insurance companies and lawyers are done.
He already said he was getting the tow package. he was asking what the 7 pin connector got him if he doesn't order the trailer brake controller.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He already said he was getting the tow package. he was asking what the 7 pin connector got him if he doesn't order the trailer brake controller.
You missed my point - first sentence - still this debate exists. It should not.
Aimed at the general population that lurks and looks and reads - and to those who are about to ask the same things. Note I didn't quote his post, your post, or any other post. It was a generic response.

As far as not knowing how the trailer brake controller works - most go by an accelerometer - it measures changes in speed and direction. Nothing to do, no connection with the truck brakes necessarily.
And how does it know? That's extremely well covered in these forums as well.
It's based on how fast or hard the vehicle is changing speed (or direction).
How does it know how much to apply? That's what YOU THE OWNER does - adjust the thing using the dial!
Every trailer will require different voltages to be applied based on the trailer weight, tire size, brake type and brand, number and size of brakes.
You adjust it yourself based on towing the trailer, making some stops, and setting the dial until it's right for your trailer.
This is where the Curt Echo shines - you can save multiple configurations for it you have 2 or 3 trailers. Boat this weekend, camper next weekend, car hauler, maybe haul a different weight car next time.

Once you set that dial for YOUR trailer, the controller will apply the correct voltage based on the speed change it senses. IF you apply the brakes more abruptly or quickly, the speed change is faster, it applied more voltage to the trailer brakes more quickly.

How to set brake controllers up is all over the web - etrailer, Curt has good info, REDARC's site - there's even some controller manuals out there to download and read.
My car hauler empty I set the dial to about 4 - with car, about 6.5 to 7.
I can push the button and stop my truck pretty quickly just by the trailer if I set it up too high.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
FYI, despite not being listed on the sticker, the Mojave has the same cooling fan as the Max Tow package. Checked my own versus friend with MT Sport. Same same.

The towing package is the class iv hitch, the alternator, and that same fan. Nothing more. If you add the package to the Mojave you are buying the fan twice. I wish option prices adjusted based on final configuration.
Sponsored