Sponsored

Tow package on a Mojave, is it worth it?

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
I thought maybe y'all just needed to see a Mojave pulling a sweet ass flats boat. I opted for the tow package and never had 2nd thoughts. Just like having all the off road options right off the lot, so it is also nice pulling off the lot and hooking up the boat and not having to worry about it. I fish a couple of times a week and pull the boat up to an hour away and I make at least 4 trips a year pulling this boat for fishing vacations. The next one is Louisiana in November. 5 hour drive. The Mojave does great. Boat, motor and trailer are about 1500 pounds.
Jeep Gladiator Tow package on a Mojave, is it worth it? IMG_5060
Sponsored

Last edited:

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
You do not have to remove the bumper to install. You only have to remove the bumper if you don't want to drill out the plastic cover over the factory bumper hole. I just went ahead and drilled the hole in the plastic, made for a quick and easy install.
Don had mentioned removing the bumper for a cleaner, more factory looking install. What I meant in my reply was that if I was going to go through that much effort to make it look more like OEM, I would just spend the $175 more and buy the OEM hitch (which requires the bumper removal), and have a hitch rated for close to 8k lbs instead of 5k.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I don't understand why, in an attempt to save $500, you're going to put more time and money back into it to retrofit with less results. Just do it right the first time and order the factory kit. The time you'll save is worth it alone. You have literally everything to gain and nothing to lose by having it all factory installed.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I donā€™t even have anything to tow and I got the tow package on my Mojave. Iā€™d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus, I donā€™t have to waste time figuring out what works if I need it later. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Padre

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pastor
I donā€™t even have anything to tow and I got the tow package on my Mojave. Iā€™d rather have it snd not need it than need it and not have it. Plus, I donā€™t have to waste time figuring out what works if I need it later. My 2 cents.
And it makes resale better as well.

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical

tamu12th

First Name
Mike D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2022 Wagoneer Series II
Hi all,

I'm very close to placing an order for a Mojave and am going over everything to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tow often and originally intended to get the factory tow kit for $500.

But I started lookin at it and it includes.

larger alternator
receiver hitch
rear camera zoom
"heavy duty cooling".

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get a similar hitch for $175.
Because of my options, I'll already have the larger alternator.

So my question is this.

1) can you configure the zoom with Tazer?
2) what is "heavy duty cooling". Is it actually something? Is the radiator or oil cooler larger?
I know what they say. Has anyone ever actually seen a difference?

In all I'm thinking I'll save $300+ and just knock it off in a couple of hours.

We tow our ~4,000lb RV with our Mojave. I believe the factory tow package is one of the best value packages available. It is ready to tow, installed right, quality parts, and zero effort from you after market. It is a no brainer to me to include the factory tow package.

I insisted on the factory tow package in my JT. I had called around to truck rigging places to quote a receiver hitch, incase I found one without the tow package. Most had bad information and I had no confidence they were sourcing the right hitch. One dealer quoted $1,200 which included "wiring", even though the connections are pre-wired. Some of this is a moot point for you since you are willing to install, but I don't think you will save enough $ to justify the hassle.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
I donā€™t even have anything to tow and I got the tow package on my Mojave. Iā€™d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus, I donā€™t have to waste time figuring out what works if I need it later. My 2 cents.
When we bought my wife's Grand Cherokee I refused to look at any that didn't have the tow package, even knowing that we will never tow anything with her car. I always have a truck to tow with. The bigger fan and knowing that I would have to option should I ever need it was enough for me.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Hi everyone.

I'm spending $50k on a truck and wonder if it's worth an extra $500 for something I need and use often?

Yes.
/thread šŸ¤£

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Based on what Dark iron mentioned above, I was able to figure out that the "heavy duty cooling" is just a larger fan.

Which isn't really relevant to me. I'm in the northeast. Cooling isn't really a factor.

Your question about the trailer connector is a good one.

***Does a Gladiator without the trailer tow package come with a trailer connector? *****

I don't know. - - yet.
You would be surprised I tow in Maine all the time and the coolant, transmission and oil temp frequently go over 225 in traffic.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yea this is not where if look to save money. Pretty sure you don't get the 7 pin harness without the tow package. Also the sticker in your door jam is going to dictate the amount you can legally tow, which will be lower than if you have the tow package. So if you got close to a stock setup, you still couldn't legally tow more than what that sticker dictates.
The tow rating isn't listed on the door at all on our trucks. The payload and GAVWR are listed, but tow rating and GCVWR are conspicuously absent.

20211018_183211.jpg

20211018_183226.jpg

Reactions: Mac

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I NEVER buy a truck without the towing packageā€¦.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I'm very close to placing an order for a Mojave and am going over everything to make sure I don't miss anything.

I tow often and originally intended to get the factory tow kit for $500.

But I started lookin at it and it includes.

larger alternator
receiver hitch
rear camera zoom
"heavy duty cooling".

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get a similar hitch for $175.
Because of my options, I'll already have the larger alternator.

So my question is this.

1) can you configure the zoom with Tazer?
2) what is "heavy duty cooling". Is it actually something? Is the radiator or oil cooler larger?
I know what they say. Has anyone ever actually seen a difference?

In all I'm thinking I'll save $300+ and just knock it off in a couple of hours.
Even if you donā€™t tow, itā€™ll make it very easy to resell if you donā€™t. Hard to add the engine cooling later, if itā€™s possible. You get much more that a frame mounted 2ā€ receiver. Solid place to put a shackle for recovery if you donā€™t tow. :)

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
And it makes resale better as well.
Maybeā€¦.
But if you weā€™re buying the same used JT, one with and one without the hitch, would you pick the one that maybe got flogged towing?
When I was buying used vehicles when I was much younger, and not in need of a tow hitch, if I saw one on something I was looking at, I just passed.
Maybe itā€™s a plus for some at resale, just not for me.
Sponsored