First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
So, the trailer I bought (take delivery 1/25/21) has a backup camera already installed.

Does anyone know if when the trailer is hitched up and plugged in, does the backup camera automatically switch over to the trailer camera so I can see when backing into places?

Otherwise it's get a solar powered license plate mounted bluetooth camera (to cell phone) type of setup...
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The Jeep back-up camera is digital, and I'm not aware of any connections in the trailer plug (4-pin or 7-pin) for any kind of video, digital or otherwise. There may be some sort of wireless connection (think Bluetooth,) but I don't believe the uConnect has any feature for Bluetooth video (but I have the 7" radio, so can't speak to the 8.4" features.)
What did the trailer dealer have to say about it?

Kevin

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The Jeep back-up camera is digital, and I'm not aware of any connections in the trailer plug (4-pin or 7-pin) for any kind of video, digital or otherwise. There may be some sort of wireless connection (think Bluetooth,) but I don't believe the uConnect has any feature for Bluetooth video (but I have the 7" radio, so can't speak to the 8.4" features.)
What did the trailer dealer have to say about it?

Kevin
Didn't ask...yet...I take mine in for an oil change and to have them look at my HVAC issue this week. I'll ask then as well. The worse they can tell me is "nope".

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Following

DaioRider

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
The trailer camera(s) will have it's own monitor; they don't connect to the Jeep's monitor. Depending on how the cameras are wired, you may have to have your light's on to power them.

My trailer cameras are wireless and I just plug in the monitor to power while I'm pulling the trailer. Also I have my camera's set up in observation mode so they're on as long as power is applied that way I can use them for lane changes, etc.

Enjoy your new trailer!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So, I'm thinking that my trailer does not have the camera installed but does have the place for one. Looking at the manufacturer's website it seems to be an expensive option that isn't on mine.

SO, in light of that, I decided to buy a wireless camera that transmits to a WiFi phone. Not wanting to tie up me Samsung S10 that I use regularly, I have an old LG G6 lying around. So I downloaded the app for it and will use that as my backup camera monitor. Oh, BTW...the camera mounts to the bumper with a strong magnet and can be charged via USB type charger.The battery is supposed to last for like 24 hours of continuous use...we'll see how it goes.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
So, I'm thinking that my trailer does not have the camera installed but does have the place for one. Looking at the manufacturer's website it seems to be an expensive option that isn't on mine.

SO, in light of that, I decided to buy a wireless camera that transmits to a WiFi phone. Not wanting to tie up me Samsung S10 that I use regularly, I have an old LG G6 lying around. So I downloaded the app for it and will use that as my backup camera monitor. Oh, BTW...the camera mounts to the bumper with a strong magnet and can be charged via USB type charger.The battery is supposed to last for like 24 hours of continuous use...we'll see how it goes.
I ended up wiring in 3 haloview cameras myself. Came with a 7in display. they even have an adapter that connects directly to what I am assuming is a furion plug in your trailer. I actually find my side cameras way more useful than the rear one

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Sarge Mojave, ā€˜21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I ended up wiring in 3 haloview cameras myself. Came with a 7in display. they even have an adapter that connects directly to what I am assuming is a furion plug in your trailer. I actually find my side cameras way more useful than the rear one
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but where are you putting the 7" Haloview monitor when you drive? I just got it and it feels like it takes up half of the windshield.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but where are you putting the 7" Haloview monitor when you drive? I just got it and it feels like it takes up half of the windshield.
Right in the center it actually ends up resting on that tray thing in the dash. It takes up some space, but really doesn't effect my view at all. I am 6'3 with a long torso though so I am always looking down in the JT.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Right in the center it actually ends up resting on that tray thing in the dash. It takes up some space, but really doesn't effect my view at all. I am 6'3 with a long torso though so I am always looking down in the JT.
Ahh, height will do that. Iā€™m 6ā€™ and itā€™s barely workable, but my 5ā€™2ā€ wife canā€™t see anything with that screen there. I guess Iā€™m going to have to find a smaller option.

I love the quality of the image on the Haloview, and the price, but Iā€™ve read the 5ā€ screen wonā€™t do a 3 image split (rear and side cameras) and the mirror screen only shows part of the image at any given time, and I donā€™t think the front camera on the mirror screen will be able to see around the radar/camera box.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Ahh, height will do that. Iā€™m 6ā€™ and itā€™s barely workable, but my 5ā€™2ā€ wife canā€™t see anything with that screen there. I guess Iā€™m going to have to find a smaller option.

I love the quality of the image on the Haloview, and the price, but Iā€™ve read the 5ā€ screen wonā€™t do a 3 image split (rear and side cameras) and the mirror screen only shows part of the image at any given time, and I donā€™t think the front camera on the mirror screen will be able to see around the radar/camera box.
I will say it comes right out when I get to the site and when I get home. Thats more so since I leave the soft top, and once even the doors at the site. My advice would be try to make it work. The side cameras are so nice and useful. Anything smaller wouldn't give a large enough image.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I will say it comes right out when I get to the site and when I get home. Thats more so since I leave the soft top, and once even the doors at the site. My advice would be try to make it work. The side cameras are so nice and useful. Anything smaller wouldn't give a large enough image.
Oh yeah, definitely not leaving anything in place once I park. I spent a year full-timing it with a 30ā€™ Airstream and a Ram 2500. Screen size wasnā€™t an issue in that truck as it had 2 miles of dashboard and10 square miles of windshield. Even with all that space the screens still came off when I parked.

If the suction cup mount for the 7ā€ wasnā€™t so long it might actually drop into the tray on top of the dash and that would probably make it work better. Between the camera screen, the trailer TPMS screen, and my Garmin (built in nav sucks, Carplay is nice for 90% of the time, but get truly in the middle of nowhere and nothing beats a Garmin) Iā€™ve lost half of the windshield.

I wonder if one of those overhead radio racks would work for holding the screens?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Oh yeah, definitely not leaving anything in place once I park. I spent a year full-timing it with a 30ā€™ Airstream and a Ram 2500. Screen size wasnā€™t an issue in that truck as it had 2 miles of dashboard and10 square miles of windshield. Even with all that space the screens still came off when I parked.

If the suction cup mount for the 7ā€ wasnā€™t so long it might actually drop into the tray on top of the dash and that would probably make it work better. Between the camera screen, the trailer TPMS screen, and my Garmin (built in nav sucks, Carplay is nice for 90% of the time, but get truly in the middle of nowhere and nothing beats a Garmin) Iā€™ve lost half of the windshield.

I wonder if one of those overhead radio racks would work for holding the screens?
Damn thats a lot of stuff I can see where that screen makes a difference. There is no space left after adding those two. Time to get creative. And some compact cars have a huge windshield relative to the JT! lol

Mine actually came with an arm and a 3m tape mount as well. Maybe you can stick it there to lower it a bit? Maybe the tps can be mounted off the passengers side grab handel? Since you don't need eyes on it all the time? They sell some ball mounts for that that might work.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Damn thats a lot of stuff I can see where that screen makes a difference. There is no space left after adding those two. Time to get creative. And some compact cars have a huge windshield relative to the JT! lol

Mine actually came with an arm and a 3m tape mount as well. Maybe you can stick it there to lower it a bit? Maybe the tps can be mounted off the passengers side grab handel? Since you don't need eyes on it all the time? They sell some ball mounts for that that might work.
Iā€™ll have to do some more playing. Maybe thereā€™s someway to make the thing work out. You wouldnā€™t happen to have any pictures of your screen with the 3 cameras up, would you?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Iā€™ll have to do some more playing. Maybe thereā€™s someway to make the thing work out. You wouldnā€™t happen to have any pictures of your screen with the 3 cameras up, would you?
I just looked sadly I do not. I am doing some work on the trailer. might be able to get you one in the next week or so.
Sponsored