First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Though the F-150 bed has been aluminum for a while now, so I wouldn't try this there either.
Don’t forget, it’s been advertised as “military grade aluminum”. 😉. It’s gotta be waaaay better than civilian grade.
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Yeah you can only expect so much out of single layer sheet metal. The second you drilled through it you should have know it was not adequate for the task.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
How does that work? My 37 has to get pressed in between the frame rails as it is to fit. Which, coincidentally, also clears the stock track bar. I guess you could air it down
I’m not sure to be honest because have 35s and their old straight rear track bar. I just noticed MC added a bent bar version recently.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
This would be the cheapest and easiest option. Get a easy rider gun rack, throw some antlers and beer cans in the back, leave the holes just like they are. Conceptual art.

Conceptual art: Art in which the idea or concept presented by the artist is considered more important than its appearance or execution.

Nailed it!

I have no clue where this shit comes from, it's like unboxing a mystery box nonstop. Hey, I make myself laugh, that's all that really matters.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
This would be the cheapest and easiest option. Get a easy rider gun rack, throw some antlers and beer cans in the back, leave the holes just like they are. Conceptual art.

Conceptual art: Art in which the idea or concept presented by the artist is considered more important than its appearance or execution.

Nailed it!

I have no clue where this shit comes from, it's like unboxing a mystery box nonstop. Hey, I make myself laugh, that's all that really matters.
😂 I love it

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
Don’t forget, it’s been advertised as “military grade aluminum”. 😉. It’s gotta be waaaay better than civilian grade.
And those are usually cheap to get a house built and sold fast and cheap.
Speaking from experience as a project manager for a custom home builder, that is spot on. It’s all about maximizing profit for a tract home builder so the cheapest stuff gets installed. Custom is slightly better as long as the homeowner picks out decent products.

Speaking from experience as a member of the military for 14 years so far; I don’t know what military grade is haha. It’s either cheapest bidder wins or whatever company government officials have bought more stock in. Typically military equipment is decent but will weigh more and not function as well as other commercially available options.

Those marketing folks get paid good money to spin things because people generally think that construction is tough and the military looks cool.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Speaking from experience as a member of the military for 14 years so far; I don’t know what military grade is haha. It’s either cheapest bidder wins or whatever company government officials have bought more stock in. Typically military equipment is decent but will weigh more and not function as well as other commercially available options.
Back when I worked in the semiconductor industry we had commercial grade products and military grade products. They were identical, physically - to become "military" grade there was a bunch of extra testing that we had to perform. Most of the testing had to do with power supply ratings: the commercial product had to pass all the specs with +/- 5% power supply (4.75VDC-5.25VDC) while the military product had a 10% tolerance (4.5VDC-5.5VDC) on the power supply. The commercial product also had an operating temperature range of 0 degrees C to +70 degrees C while the military product had an operating temperature range of -55 degrees C to +125 degrees C.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Back when I worked in the semiconductor industry we had commercial grade products and military grade products. They were identical, physically - to become "military" grade there was a bunch of extra testing that we had to perform. Most of the testing had to do with power supply ratings: the commercial product had to pass all the specs with +/- 5% power supply (4.75VDC-5.25VDC) while the military product had a 10% tolerance (4.5VDC-5.5VDC) on the power supply. The commercial product also had an operating temperature range of 0 degrees C to +70 degrees C while the military product had an operating temperature range of -55 degrees C to +125 degrees C.
I used to do consulting and other work (network, servers, etc.) for Cementech.
They had just gotten a military contract for their concrete handling equipment and the CFO was really proud of that fact and showed me around a bit and showed some of the new equipment they had to buy to pass muster - including measuring the thickness and hardness of the paints used, special provisions for wiring harnesses and more.
Reminded me of the control systems we shipped to Eastern Europe and other places for use by Gazprom. They had tough specs but then when you operate in the heat of the Middle East or the cold of Siberia..........

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
Thanks for the firsthand knowledge! It’s good to hear that they actually do some different testing. I can’t imagine anything in my line of work (aviation) getting up to 125C. Our jets don’t seem to like anything over 90F but they are ancient 😬. A quick example of what I was talking about: we had rugged laptops that probably cost WAYYY too much money to procure. Those were phased out for iPads. It would be interesting to have someone familiar with the aluminum industry chime in. I can’t imagine there’s a difference between military aluminum and car aluminum.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
After getting the truck new, I installed the lift and tires only to figure out that the 37" wouldn't really fit under the bed anymore without making a few tweaks.
The only tweak I made to fit my 37" Toyo R/T's under the bed was to air it down to about 20#.

I mean, feel free to spend money on redoing the bed mount, or getting a hitch carrier, or one of the bent track bars; but a cheap option would be to air your spare down and try seeing if it will fit...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the firsthand knowledge! It’s good to hear that they actually do some different testing. I can’t imagine anything in my line of work (aviation) getting up to 125C. Our jets don’t seem to like anything over 90F but they are ancient 😬. A quick example of what I was talking about: we had rugged laptops that probably cost WAYYY too much money to procure. Those were phased out for iPads. It would be interesting to have someone familiar with the aluminum industry chime in. I can’t imagine there’s a difference between military aluminum and car aluminum.
The alloys may be different. You rarely see pure aluminum. Like stainless steel - there's different grades cheap to good. Some stainless will actually corrode.
Sponsored