Sponsored

Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you that have owned both (Wrangler & Gladiator), which do you like better and why? Looking at a diesel version. Mostly daily driver. Off-road on weekends.
Both. I am VERY envious of my wife's new Jeep.........

Mine is the boring Gladiator in the background
My wife owns the Rubicon in the foreground. Dang. And she knows exactly how many miles are on it.

Jeep Gladiator Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator. 20230126_141744_HDR

Get both.

My wife wanted a purple Jeep daily driver (although she only drives once a week)
I need to tow and haul stuff.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd

My wife owns the Rubicon in the foreground. Dang. And she knows exactly how many miles are on it.

Jeep Gladiator Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator. 20230126_141744_HDR

Get both.

My wife wanted a purple Jeep daily driver (although she only drives once a week)
Now I'm just waiting for the day I notice her blue hooks on your blue JT.

Last edited:

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
If you bought a Wrangler, two door or four? If you would buy a two door, get the wrangler over the gladiator. If you would buy a 4-door, you are already getting into compromise territory and it shows you have some need for rear seat use, cargo space perhaps.

The Gladiator makes compromises with the long wheelbase and added weight, but in my experience, for a vehicle to live with - the Gladiator hands down. Even if you don't really 'haul' stuff, if you enjoy outdoors activities, the bed will give you a place to store muddy gear, bikes, camping gear, mount a RTT or cook on the tailgate.

The Gladiator forfeits some, but not terribly much, off road capability for an immense increase in everyday utility.

Two door wrangler is more fun, but the gladiator can get stuff done.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you bought a Wrangler, two door or four? If you would buy a two door, get the wrangler over the gladiator. If you would buy a 4-door, you are already getting into compromise territory and it shows you have some need for rear seat use, cargo space perhaps.

The Gladiator makes compromises with the long wheelbase and added weight, but in my experience, for a vehicle to live with - the Gladiator hands down. Even if you don't really 'haul' stuff, if you enjoy outdoors activities, the bed will give you a place to store muddy gear, bikes, camping gear, mount a RTT or cook on the tailgate.

The Gladiator forfeits some, but not terribly much, off road capability for an immense increase in everyday utility.

Out in the sticks, I buy gas in 3 gas cans for the lawn tractor, etc. Do we want that inside a vehicle - or in the back of a truck?
Buying bags of rock or soil......... truck. Did that in my wife's GC once and I had to thoroughly clean the inside of the rear of that vehicle because she hauls her quilting stuff, fabric, quilts, sewing machines and such in there. Never again. Her Wrangler will be kept clean, the Gladiator will do the dirty work.
Need to go pick up a new day bed for a room she's re-doing? Tough haul with a Wrangler - perfect fit in a Gladiator.
Hey, while we're in town, let's stop by and pick up some (insert some larger or clunky product here) - doable with Gladiator.
Driving to Florida we hauled some of the stuff my son had left stowed up in my garage loft, had room for coolers and our suitcases and more with the Gladiator. Not really doable with a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Another point--> At King of the Hammers/Johnson Valley, the gladiator is infinitely more comfortable. Both my 2 door and 4 door JKs pitched back and forth mercilessly on the whoops and uneven terrain. It felt like sailing in rough ocean all day. The gladiator, or any similarly sized wheelbase, doesn't pitch forward-backward as often and is so much more enjoyable. If you're on the trail for 8 hours a day, these small things add up.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
The Gladiator bed was the perfect size to haul my dual sport bikes, as well as all the various HGTV type stuff I may throw back there.

However, I was on the fence to get a 2 door JL Wrangler with a small trailer, which would've worked as well. It's a trade-off, like most things in life.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th

I agree 100%
When we first considered a Wrangler we tried both and and quickly decided on the 2 door.
Its my wifes daily and it is FUN, it is a JEEP.

After having the 2 door for a couple of years I wanted something that could carry 4 people better.
Thought about a 4 door Wrangler for a very short time before deciding on the Gladiator for me.
To me as well, a 4 door wrangler is more compromise, less utility than the Gladiator.
Don't forget the difference in tow capacities.

Last edited:

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
The Gladiator bed was the perfect size to haul my dual sport bikes, as well as all the various HGTV type stuff I may throw back there.

However, I was on the fence to get a 2 door JL Wrangler with a small trailer, which would've worked as well. It's a trade-off, like most things in life.
Yup. Real world pretty similar.
Good and bad is the Gladiator is like having the trailer with you all the time.

Jeep Gladiator Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator. 20210321_142609

Jeep Gladiator Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator. 20190914_160810

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM

20230126_141744_HDR.jpg

Get both.

Ha my wife has a 2019 JLUR and she loves it. I put Rubicon take off wheels and tires on it and it looks great. However she does zero off-roading but loves taking the top off in the summer time. Also my wife got her Jeep first and it made me want a Gladiator as soon as I saw one in person.

Sponsored

M3r1c4

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
IT Manager
For those of you that have owned both (Wrangler & Gladiator), which do you like better and why? Looking at a diesel version. Mostly daily driver. Off-road on weekends.
Had a TJ and then a JKU and loved them. JKU did not tow my TT very well so my new addition is a 21 JTRD. had it for 1 1/2 years and love it. Some people will complain about towing but those always seem like they are in the mountains. Towing in MI has been fantastic. Never an issue. I read posts and complaints and was nervous at first. Now I just drive and worry about what song is on. I DD mine too and love the torque(y) feel. I just wish Biden wouldn't have screwed the price of diesel up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Had a TJ and then a JKU and loved them. JKU did not tow my TT very well so my new addition is a 21 JTRD. had it for 1 1/2 years and love it. Some people will complain about towing but those always seem like they are in the mountains. Towing in MI has been fantastic. Never an issue. I read posts and complaints and was nervous at first. Now I just drive and worry about what song is on. I DD mine too and love the torque(y) feel. I just wish Biden wouldn't have screwed the price of diesel up.
Careful with the politics - but this is one time it wasn't "all him".
It's multiple reasons - one is the rule that went into effect a few years back for ULSD, and the demand for the cleaner diesel fuel has skyrocketed, putting pressure on the cost of the fuel because the IMO - International Maritime Organization, has a rule that started a couple of years ago that ocean-going ships must also use clean diesel fuel. So you now have ocean going ships competing for your fuel, in the winter the home heating fuel competes with diesel because it comes from the same stock and is similarly refined so that's competing with your fuel, and the excise tax. Which is something no one person controls.
Your state may have raised taxes on fuel, the current rate is over 28 cents/gallon. Isn't it going up every year, 5% or the inflation rate, which-ever is lower? Wow.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
TJ because everybody should have the good fortune of owning one at least once.

But really though, I haven't owned a JL but I've rented one a few times. And I have both a TJ and JT now.

If I could only have one or the other between the JL and JT, I'd have a 2 door JL 6 speed. There's a special place for that OG configuration that just isn't the same as the rest. If I were limited to one or the other of a 4 door... I don't know, probably still a JL for the maneuverability and wheeling chops.

The JT is really cool and pretty flexible imo -that's why I own one- but I use my TJ to scratch the offroad-bashing-and-rowing-gears itch.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
Had a Wrangler. It was the wife's idea to get a Gladiator coming back on a road trip with it packed to the roof with stuff. Oddly enough we just got back from a 3,000 mi road trip and still didn't have enough room lol. Oh well. It fits our lifestyle much better, and I much prefer to throw coolers and gas cans in the bed vs inside my Wrangler.

That said, I think they make for a much better daily. Longer wheelbase makes the ride better and smaller cab helps with AC/Heating since it has a smaller interior. I also think the Gladiator has slightly less tire noise since the rear tires aren't under the cab.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
If I didn't need a truck i would have bought a wrangler instead. Seems I always have a project going on around the house and need to haul something home from home depot
Sponsored