TSB steering box review

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I’m getting mine done tomorrow.... I’m excited and scared. They are going to have it for 24 hours at least they said. I asked them why when the TSB said like 2 hours, and he said not a chance. He said this is the fourth one they have done and it’s a complete disaster to do. Which has me slightly skeptical. Right now mine drives decent but I have a 2-3 inch dead zone in the middle.

Anything specifically I should check before I drop it off? And check when I pick it up?
Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
So my neighbor who bought a Gladiator a couple of weeks back came up to me tonight and said, “I have a question for you about your truck, I took mine out on the highway for the first time...”. You know the rest. It was good to get verification, because my brain has learned to compensate for the play. My rental car right now is twitchy. Lol.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Mine went in Thursday for the Steering Box and Driveshaft replacements. The driveshaft was supposed to be in Friday morning. I got an update today that the driveshaft will be in Wednesday, and the Steering Box in four to seven days. I delayed the driveshaft replacement for a long time, so I wouldn't be the first one. I found out when I dropped it off that it will be the first one for them. I also found out that there are three steering box jobs ahead of me, so that will hopefully be done right the first time.

Chinz67

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I had my steering box done a short time ago.I It's definitely better, but not perfect.

tsyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I took mine in last Monday (the 19th of October) to have them verify the TSB and order parts. I installed the Mopar lift and 35" Nittos this weekend, and it drives so much better now. Took it on the highway, and the steering is great now. Contemplating whether or not to take it back for the TSB when the parts come in now.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Might as well... I suspect the new box is going to be better for long term durability given so many are seeing issues after 5-10K.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Might as well... I suspect the new box is going to be better for long term durability given so many are seeing issues after 5-10K.
This is a big point. With as much slop as I felt in the first box, it can only get worse with time. I’m far more confident the new box will last and deal with my off-roading better than the aluminum one.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
This is a big point. With as much slop as I felt in the first box, it can only get worse with time. I’m far more confident the new box will last and deal with my off-roading better than the aluminum one.
Aluminum is great for beer cans... that’s it! :LOL:

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I’m getting mine done tomorrow.... I’m excited and scared. They are going to have it for 24 hours at least they said. I asked them why when the TSB said like 2 hours, and he said not a chance. He said this is the fourth one they have done and it’s a complete disaster to do. Which has me slightly skeptical. Right now mine drives decent but I have a 2-3 inch dead zone in the middle.

Anything specifically I should check before I drop it off? And check when I pick it up?

Yeah .... I watched some of the work being done ...

You disconnect the old one and install the new one with new provided bolts ... Cycle the system to get the fluid flowing and top up the fluid ...

If this is "a complete disaster" to do, Id hate to see these guys do something that is actually hard ...

For a dealer to say that removing (one of the most exposed parts) that is easily accessible from under the truck with 4 EXPOSED bolts, while on a rack, with all the proper tools, in a professional service facility ? HUH ?!!?!!? Someone is crazy here ...

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I just picked up mine yesterday. It took about a month to get the parts, but, once I brought it in again, they got it done in one day. I noticed the difference right away. It went from about 1-1/4 inch of play to 1/3" of play, maybe less. It is definitely a big improvement. I had a nice experience at the dealership.
Note: My steering play got worse between zero and 16K miles.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Dropped mine off Tuesday morning, should be ready by tomorrow morning. They said everything drives great now and they did the flash. Super excited!

biggest downside is I went from this:

Jeep Gladiator TSB steering box review 9CD1AF67-E73F-480D-8BC9-A0310E698D87

To this:

Jeep Gladiator TSB steering box review 08922DD7-D0EA-4A94-BFD7-C9C77578C724

While it was getting worked on. I must say, I think I will be traumatized for life, I think I need a counselor.

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I really didn't notice much play in steering at first, then I drove my LJ around on my time off it's not got any compared to JT which is less than my "work ride" with rack n pinion steering. But I really noticed it after having over 14 k and few hundred mile road trip. I'm now on waiting list for the parts, but not rushed about it. Heck my XJ would have scared most people here to even ride in it. :giggle: it's streering was down right twichy and had play in steering with a locker. I'd replace tie rod ends or rod ends once a year at least.
Sponsored