First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
Looking for a gauge to monitor turbo temperature. Still new to the diesel side and would like something to help me remember to let it cool for a min before shutting off.
Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Theres really no such thing as a turbo temo sensor,unless if your talking about the egt's (exhaust gas temperature),Maybe if you get a tuner it might show em.But.....dont quote me on that though,I'm just a knowledgable 16 year old 😇 that likes to work on his jeep

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You're actually looking for an EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) gauge.

You will most likely have to drill and tap the exhaust manifold to accept the sensor. Then route the lead into the cab and locate the gauge and mount it in the cab.

After driving, just let the engine idle for a few minutes and you'll be safe to turn it off.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I am picking up my new diesel next week and have been looking into these things...

I don't believe there is a sensor for turbo temperature but there is one for exhaust gas temp (EGT). All these sensors should be accessible through the OBD2 connection.

I'm planning to initially get an inexpensive bluetooth enabled OBD2 scanner like this one and then use the OBD Fusion app.

Scanguage 2 is another option that I've seen posted by other members.

Banks iDash is better visually than the Scanguage IMO but more expensive.

OP
OP

Mikeytmc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
Thanks for the replies. When I purchased my gladiator the service manager kept on about always cooling the turbo down and making sure it was cool before shutting off. I’ll probably look into one of the obd 2 gauges that monitor egt.

Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies. When I purchased my gladiator the service manager kept on about always cooling the turbo down and making sure it was cool before shutting off. I’ll probably look into one of the obd 2 gauges that monitor egt.
Ahhhhhh I see,also congrats on the purchase,yeah I know what the serivice manager meant,so since your Jt has a turbocharged engine (of course since it's a diesel) once you get parked at your destination always let the truck sit and idle for atleast 20 seconds,check your phone and whatever and that's it,it really helps the longevity of the turbo cause if you come to your destination and simply park and turn the truck off,the turbo wont have time to cool down and get lubricated,so like I said above just let the truck run to let the turbo cool down and kinda get some cooler oil In there and bam your set man,I hope my bit of info helped clear any of your worries-Cheers

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I feel like I saw a setting in the radio to kinda act like a turbo timer.. I have also played with jscan, so I could be confusing the 2

OP
OP

Mikeytmc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
Ahhhhhh I see,also congrats on the purchase,yeah I know what the serivice manager meant,so since your Jt has a turbocharged engine (of course since it's a diesel) once you get parked at your destination always let the truck sit and idle for atleast 20 seconds,check your phone and whatever and that's it,it really helps the longevity of the turbo cause if you come to your destination and simply park and turn the truck off,the turbo wont have time to cool down and get lubricated,so like I said above just let the truck run to let the turbo cool down and kinda get some cooler oil In there and bam your set man,I hope my bit of info helped clear any of your worries-Cheers
Appreciate all the info. He was making me think it may be something new with the new gen eco diesel
I appreciate the information. The way the service guy talked I didn’t know if it may be something new with the new gen eco diesel. I’ll probably still look into the gauge mostly since my wife drives it regularly and hopefully it will help remind her to wait a minute before shutting down.

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah man no,the thing of letting any turbocharged vehicle applies to bassically anything,especially if it's a high performance build with a big ole expensive turbo,but to check your Egt's(Exhaust gas temp) I'm pretty sure you can just get a tuner that shows you your guages and you'll be set

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Im 95% sure this is not an issues with these engines. You will notice that you hear something running underneath the hood when you shut it off. That's the electric coolant pump circulating coolant which also goes through the turbo. It's purpose is to cool the turbo. If you are pulling heavy load or doing something strenuous on the engine, sure let it idle for a few minutes. But under normal driving it should not be an issue to just turn it off.

EGT sensor is located on the vehicle already and you could check it with a scan tool. However, there's no point in checking that when your engine cools down because it's exhaust gas temperature and not turbo temperature.

Sponsored

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Im 95% sure this is not an issues with these engines. You will notice that you hear something running underneath the hood when you shut it off. That's the electric coolant pump circulating coolant which also goes through the turbo. It's purpose is to cool the turbo. If you are pulling heavy load or doing something strenuous on the engine, sure let it idle for a few minutes. But under normal driving it should not be an issue to just turn it off.

EGT sensor is located on the vehicle already and you could check it with a scan tool. However, there's no point in checking that when your engine cools down because it's exhaust gas temperature and not turbo temperature.
I have a friend who has an F-150 with an EcoBoost engine. He said that vehicle does the same thing when it is shut down, runs a coolant pump to cool down the turbo.

If you have not been into the power hard for about 1 minute before you shut down, there should be no problem turning off the engine as soon as you reach where you are going.

What is probably harder on an engine is starting it up and going full throttle quickly after starting, without letting it warm up. On my diesel pusher motorhome with a Cummins engine, Cummins recommends getting to 160 degrees temp before going full power. If you have never driven a heavy vehicle with a diesel, almost every time you accelerate, the pedal is on the floor at full power.

I'm on a FD in my small town. For emergency calls, the vehicles, Ford F-450 and F-550 ambulances, and the 3 fire engines never get a chance to warm before they are full throttle. We have seen most vehicles experiencing turbo replacements much earlier than you would think should occur. Cool down of the turbo is rarely an issue, as there is time during arrival at the station and backing the vehicle into its parking location.

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
This is from the Jeep Wrangler's 3.0L manual on idling before shutdown. Same should apply for Gladiator 3.0L:

Jeep Gladiator Turbo temperature gauge? 1610598485719

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.6JLUR6MT HellaYella SkyTop, 3.8JKUX6MT RedRock HalfDoors, Deciding on JTRD or JTR4xe
...Cool down of the turbo is rarely an issue, as there is time during arrival at the station and backing the vehicle into its parking location.
Getting into the habit of back-in parking should suffice any turbo to cool-down no matter how hard you used it.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
If it was ONLY coolant temperature they were worried about, they would not care one bit about idle time before shutting down as the computer could easily keep the electric coolant pump running for any amount of time it was programmed to.

These turbos are high RPM devices (Very high) ...

The reason they want the engine running but specifically at idle is to circulate OIL while not requiring any boost ...

Oil is part of the cooling and lubrication of these turbos. If you just shut down, you remove its lubrication while it is still spinning down ...

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have the banks iDash. I have it display EGT banks 1 and 3. I let EGT 1 get below 400 before most shutdowns. EGT 3 gets to 1200+ during regens. Cool to see the temps in real time.
Sponsored