First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
Has anyone had a "updated" steering gear installed, but still having an issue?

My 2020 Sport S was terrible, and the dealership agreed. Last week they replaced the steering gear with the updated version. One of my biggest complaints was the pull to the right. Its a constant battle to keep the truck off of the shoulder. Since having it back I no longer the play in the steering wheel like I used to, but it's still pulling to the right on a straight and level road at highway speeds.

I have owned and driven other, much older Jeeps and I am aware of how they drive, but I don't think it should pull.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Did they do an alignment after replacing the box? I went to my favorite suspension shop right after I bought my JTR in June of '20, because I don't trust dealers. My shop told me what the issue was (insufficient caster) and I was able to make my truck driveable until the TSB for the steering box came out. If I had a pull like that, I'd be right back to my shop for a diagnostic and alignment.

OP
OP
Victoryrider78

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately you are probably right. I'll give that a shot before I complain too much more.

Thanks!

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The steering box did what it was supposed to do if it got rid of the play.

If you are having a pull though that's gonna be something else, these should definitely not have a pull. Check alignment and try disconnecting the steering stabilizer and going for a ride.

cfowler55

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Auto shop owner / technician
Could be radial tire pull. An easy way to check is to swap the front tires side to side and see if it pulls in the other direction..

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Steer Smarts Sector Shaft Brace and Fox Stabilizer made a huge improvement on my JT ...... it made a significant enough improvement that I'm no longer considering the TSB

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Steer Smarts Sector Shaft Brace and Fox Stabilizer made a huge improvement on my JT ...... it made a significant enough improvement that I'm no longer considering the TSB
Neither of those items will address a pull to the side as the sector shaft and steering box isn't going to be the source of his issue. It can help cleanup some slop in the steering, but his bigger compliant is pulling.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Have you checked tire pressures?

OP
OP
Victoryrider78

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes tire pressure is dead on, tires are rather new, but I am going to switch them ( right to left ) and see if that's the issue.

Ultimately I'm thinking the front end alignment by someone other than my dealer would be the way to go. I have a good alignment shop nearby.

Thanks everyone!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its either alignment or something to do with the tires.

Swapping them left to right is free and quick. So doing it first makes sense.

I suspect that won't change anything. But its worth a shot.

That leaves alignment.

Is the caster even adjustable on the Gladiator without using aftermarket cam bolts?

Don

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
theres a chance your new box is crap. Ive been through 2 and had a right pull. Numerous others have reported the same. A right pull. Dont believe its your alignment and or something on your truck always. Mine didnt even start pulling or have any sort of right pull until my new gear. I went round and round for a few weeks, and its still not 100%

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Yes tire pressure is dead on, tires are rather new, but I am going to switch them ( right to left ) and see if that's the issue.
psi dead on what? factory specs are rather stiff and most tires will benefit from being lower pressure. easy to drop 5psi and see if anything changes. part of the higher pressure is for mpg ratings.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My steering box is supposed to be replaced as soon as the parts arrive, which I'm told should be any day now. After reading this I hope I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
My steering box is supposed to be replaced as soon as the parts arrive, which I'm told should be any day now. After reading this I hope I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
I suggest going and finding the main huge thread about the steering TSB and you can read all kinds of experiences and outcomes.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest going and finding the main huge thread about the steering TSB and you can read all kinds of experiences and outcomes.
Thanks, I’m aware of that thread.
Sponsored