John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Hey everyone,
Figured I'd share a water tank option for anyone taking longer trips. My wife and I usually carry (3) Reliance brand 6gal blue jugs on our 3 day+ trips. I usually pack these and strap them down at the front of the bed. Given the fact that they are the first thing in and the last thing out at a campsite, it's become cumbersome to crawl in and out of the bed to remove all the other gear (first-world problems I know).

I went to The Metal Company (ironic right) in Arvada CO for a custom 19.9 gal tank (model #10190). They have an online catalog and tons of tanks to choose from. The price point is significantly lower than Front Runner's (my tank was $95) and they will custom spin any type of outlet/nipple/filler/vent that you want. I also like the fact that the tank is transparent-ish to see the water level (they will do black too). I ended up with a fill port (1 x 1/4"), vent port (1/2") and (3) female 1/2" ports placed where I wanted them. I shopped at Amazon/Home Depot for the MNPT fittings and 1/2" ID vinyl water tubing.

I also purchased a Front Runner Locking water tap for a cool little gravity fed water spigot at the rear bumper reflector location. I glued a magnet into the cap so I would not be as prone to setting it on the tailgate and losing it. Again, all of the barb end fittings are 1/2" OD. At the other side of the tank I mounted a SEAFLO 3.0gpm 45psi 12v pump (that surprise is coming in a new thread soon)

Overall the water tank size has less of a foot print than the Reliance jugs and can be removed with the quick fittings at the spigot tube side of the tank. I attached a few pics of the custom spigot work and water tubing placement. The spigot only protrudes about the same if not less than the tow hook so I am not concerned (yet) about smacking it coming off a ledge. Also, the last pic with the blue line drawing represents the routing of the water hose. It simply sits on top of the plastic wheel liner and sandwiches against the frame. It pops out at the top of the frame rail. Not close to the exhaust or interfering with anything.

Enjoy!

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_160931340

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_162550779

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_162604474.PORTRAIT-01.COVER

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_162631573.PORTRAIT-01.COVER

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_162722833.PORTRAIT-01.COVER

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_163227552.PORTRAIT-01.COVER

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201002_211414075

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201004_232214801

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201004_232222542

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201006_155218802

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201006_155242229

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201006_161420880

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution PXL_20201006_181344567

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution water line routing.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Awesome install!!! And great price points for things and great practicality. I have been dreaming of onboard water. Its the thing I miss most of my RV. But with winter its hard to do something permanent so has to be semi modular.

This is slick. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Awesome install!!! And great price points for things and great practicality. I have been dreaming of onboard water. Its the thing I miss most of my RV. But with winter its hard to do something permanent so has to be semi modular.

This is slick. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! Yeah I've been jealous of all my friends with 4W Campers and AluCab Canopy Campers that have on-board water. Just with (1) quick disconnect and un-doing the strap the tank is out. Super easy... unless it's full. Ha!

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Great install and thanks for the pictures so we can copy your amazingness. Now add a copper coil around your exhaust and instant hot (okay maybe warm) water.

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Great install and thanks for the pictures so we can copy your amazingness. Now add a copper coil around your exhaust and instant hot (okay maybe warm) water.
A new post is coming very soon in regards to the hot water :)

Copy away!!!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Wow! How did I miss this thread??
I have been waiting for the FrontRunner tank to come in and have been waiting for months. I will be checking this out today and see if it can fit my space.

Did I understand that they will install the fittings anywhere you want?
Also, where/how did you route the water line through the bed? I’ve been struggling with how to best do this...

Thanks again!

PS. In reviewing the catalog and your choice for fitting why did you use the ones you did in their location? Thanks. Can you give me the part #’s?

PPS. We used that water fitting on our expeditions in Africa and they worked very well. I love how you did the location.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Wow! How did I miss this thread??
I have been waiting for the FrontRunner tank to come in and have been waiting for months. I will be checking this out today and see if it can fit my space.

Did I understand that they will install the fittings anywhere you want?
Also, where/how did you route the water line through the bed? I’ve been struggling with how to best do this...

Thanks again!

PS. In reviewing the catalog and your choice for fitting why did you use the ones you did in their location? Thanks. Can you give me the part #’s?

PPS. We used that water fitting on our expeditions in Africa and they worked very well. I love how you did the location.
Thanks! I was tired of waiting on Frontrunner and this tank is larger, over half the price cheaper and fully customizable

All of your questions are addressed in the opening post :)

1) I went to The Metal Company (ironic right) in Arvada CO for a custom 19.9 gal tank (model #10190). All of the barb end fittings are 1/2" OD. I shopped at Amazon/Home Depot for the MNPT fittings and 1/2" ID vinyl water tubing. The Metal Co does not sell the barb ends... they only made the tank and spun the fittings on. I don't have the part #'s from Home Depot... again any 1/2" NPT fitting will work

2)They will custom spin any type of outlet/nipple/filler/vent that you want. I chose the locations for my application of the gravity line side and pump side.

3) Please see pics for hose routing... I drilled directly into the side of the bed

John

Reactions: aai

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,
Figured I'd share a water tank option for anyone taking longer trips. My wife and I usually carry (3) Reliance brand 6gal blue jugs on our 3 day+ trips. I usually pack these and strap them down at the front of the bed. Given the fact that they are the first thing in and the last thing out at a campsite, it's become cumbersome to crawl in and out of the bed to remove all the other gear (first-world problems I know).

I went to The Metal Company (ironic right) in Arvada CO for a custom 19.9 gal tank (model #10190). They have an online catalog and tons of tanks to choose from. The price point is significantly lower than Front Runner's (my tank was $95) and they will custom spin any type of outlet/nipple/filler/vent that you want. I also like the fact that the tank is transparent-ish to see the water level (they will do black too). I ended up with a fill port (1 x 1/4"), vent port (1/2") and (3) female 1/2" ports placed where I wanted them. I shopped at Amazon/Home Depot for the MNPT fittings and 1/2" ID vinyl water tubing.

I also purchased a Front Runner Locking water tap for a cool little gravity fed water spigot at the rear bumper reflector location. I glued a magnet into the cap so I would not be as prone to setting it on the tailgate and losing it. Again, all of the barb end fittings are 1/2" OD. At the other side of the tank I mounted a SEAFLO 3.0gpm 45psi 12v pump (that surprise is coming in a new thread soon)

Overall the water tank size has less of a foot print than the Reliance jugs and can be removed with the quick fittings at the spigot tube side of the tank. I attached a few pics of the custom spigot work and water tubing placement. The spigot only protrudes about the same if not less than the tow hook so I am not concerned (yet) about smacking it coming off a ledge. Also, the last pic with the blue line drawing represents the routing of the water hose. It simply sits on top of the plastic wheel liner and sandwiches against the frame. It pops out at the top of the frame rail. Not close to the exhaust or interfering with anything.

Enjoy!

Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution water line routing.JPG

Nice idea having the spigot on the bumper!

Sponsored

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Nice idea having the spigot on the bumper!
Thanks! To be honest this was the original plan before the shower was even considered. Not having to move the 5gal blue jugs in and out of the bed after everything is packed just for a drink of water is nice :)

Knolow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Awesome support to the community. Definition of selfless sacrifice coming back and explaining with details. Thank you for the help and responses. Subscribed!!!!!

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Awesome support to the community. Definition of selfless sacrifice coming back and explaining with details. Thank you for the help and responses. Subscribed!!!!!
Aww thanks! Can't wait to see your setup soon.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Hey everyone,

Enjoy!

Great install. Well done