Sponsored

What’s your price Point?

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
My max will be $40k for a base Sport that only has these options:
Auto trans
Max tow package
Bed cover
Bed liner
LSD rear
If it will be more than $40k then instead of getting a single JT that would hit 2 birds with 1 stone I will probably end up getting 2 vehicles: a used 2-3 year old Ram (one of the lower end models with extended warranty and 4x4, in my area I can get one for 25k) the other will be a 2003-2006 Jeep TJ (I can get a decent one for 10k)
(I'm talking about USD)
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I am hoping to be able to get a Rubicon, hard top, auto for around $45,000 out the door, or fully optioned with leather, and bumpers for $50k. Much outside of that and I will be looking at a Sport S

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Those probably all share the same frame between truck and SUV counterpart. Other than this having a front half that is mostly the same, everything else was a complete redesign. And even the 4 door cab is redone for the truck.
Not really. The 4Runner uses coil rear suspension and the Tacoma is leaf spring. Same with the Expedition and F150. They both also have completely different bodies.

The JT still shares the same cab front seats forward including the same roof panels as well as rear doors. Its only back seats and rear top that is really different.

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by the CFO that 40K is what I can spend.

SO, it's a waiting game now.

I have in mind a sport s, maybe I'll end up with a nicely optioned sport.

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Always be willing to walk off the lot away from a bad deal. That shows the dealership you don't "need the vehicle" and "don't have to buy one." They will normally come chasing after you because they are just about to lose a sale and then they are going to here about it from upper management.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I was told by the CFO that 40K is what I can spend.

SO, it's a waiting game now.

I have in mind a sport s, maybe I'll end up with a nicely optioned sport.
After you order with a $40000 deposit, tell your CEO/CFO/SO that you thought the $40k limit was for the down payment... "But, honey the deposit is non-refundable."

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I was just reading about how dealerships make money today actually, and another point made is that dealerships generally get new models from the manufacturer using a loan... if you buy something via an order, they don't ever have to get a loan to "buy" that truck. Its actually good for the dealership to place orders... they get a cut of the sale with 0 work on their part.
Can you still negotiate at the dealer on a jeep you're ordering, or do they only haggle on the in stock, on the lot jeeps?
Someone asked this and I think the response was mixed. People naturally think you will get a worse deal ordering, but that may not be true. Postives of ordering include minimal time wasted for you and dealer, doesn't take up lot space, don't have other people offering more, etc. Postives of buying off lot include actually being able to see it, using any flaws or other dealer lot cars as leverage to deal, etc. Full disclosure, I have never bought a new car in my life but I did talk to a dealer in person the other day.
Jeep dealers have, for some time, been offering below invoice prices on any factory offer. As Jody mentions, they incur no direct cost, it has no impact on their dealer allotment and they pocket the entire holdback on the vehicle (which on a Wrangler, for example, is around $1600) while helping them meet monthly FCA sales incentives. Therefore, you will almost always get a better deal on a factory order than you will on an in stock one. Exceptions would include less desirable models or units that have been sitting on the lot for extended periods. Additionally, sold orders (customer orders) are generally given build priority over dealer stock orders.

As an aside (and you can visit the JLWrangler forum for considerably more deets), the best dealers in the Northwest are found in the Boise/Nampa, Idaho area, where at least 2 verified excellent dealers offer 7-8% below invoice (that's correct, not msrp, but invoice) on factory orders. People have been driving cross-country to buy for them, as they are the best deals in the country (Petersen Jeep and Dennis Dillon, contact info on the JLWrangler forum under the "Recommended Dealers" page).

So, go to your local dealer, test drive/check out/configure your ideal rig, email the dealers in Idaho, try using their quotes for leverage locally, and if that fails, order from Idaho, sit back and wait for the call that it's in while planning your road trip.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If I can get the Base Sport (with automatic + hard top) near the Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4x4 price (no FX4 upgrade) = then I'm all in with another Jeep

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
If I can get the Base Sport (with automatic + hard top) near the Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4x4 price (no FX4 upgrade) = then I'm all in with another Jeep
I sure hope it's less than $35k for the base sport, but I suppose it's a starting point. I was hoping to see the base Sport, no options close to 30k and let everything else follow those lines. So... a base sport + auto + hard for $33k would be my ideal. (Though i'm going with the Sport S + auto + hardtop + max tow... )

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I sure hope it's less than $35k for the base sport, but I suppose it's a starting point. I was hoping to see the base Sport, no options close to 30k and let everything else follow those lines. So... a base sport + auto + hard for $33k would be my ideal. (Though i'm going with the Sport S + auto + hardtop + max tow... )
I know we're all just spit balling when it comes to pricing, but a base JL is $33k with zero options (but including $1495 destination). A Sport JL with auto and hard top is $36k. There is simply no feasible way that the JT, with a longer wheelbase and heavier-duty components is going to be priced less than a JL.
Hope is a beautiful thing, and I would like to hope that your pricing is spot on, but I can't.

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 Dual Cab
Wowee...I have just seen that the 2019 Wrangler Rubicon is released at an eye-watering $68,950 here
That 99% confirms my fears they will bring the gladiator in at the niche (landcruiser pricing) end of the market. If it's anywhere near comparitive rates to the standard wrangler they aint going to be selling many (if any...)

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 Dual Cab
For those with even the slightest interest in Aust pricing (Wrangler for comparison)
upload_2019-1-17_11-39-13.png

OP
OP
NortheastJeep

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
Wowee...I have just seen that the 2019 Wrangler Rubicon is released at an eye-watering $68,950 here
That 99% confirms my fears they will bring the gladiator in at the niche (landcruiser pricing) end of the market. If it's anywhere near comparitive rates to the standard wrangler they aint going to be selling many (if any...)
Give or take what is the price increase compared to the States on JL?
Sponsored