Sponsored

What are your thoughts on the likelihood of a true base model?

Knightfall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Silverado
Jeep Wranglers are, comparatively, expensive. They also come standard with 4x4, which makes tons of sense except for the fact that a huge part of the small truck market is in the base model 4x2's with minimal upgrades: fleet and entry level buyers. Do you guys think there will be a Gladiator that's priced in that 20k range to compete with all of the base Colorados, Tacomas, and Frontiers? This would also be the version of the truck that I would be looking at, though I would likely get 4x4.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that they wont be in the 20s but start in the low 30s.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I think a base model makes a lot of sense. But not at the expense of 4X4. No Jeep should EVER be offered with 2WD.

How 'bout a base JT with a 2.8L diesel and a manual transmission?

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport SE
Vehicle Showcase
I think as base as we're going to get is manual transmission v6 with steel wheels, similar to how the base Wrangler is... I won't expect it to be in the 20s like the base Colorado. I'm expecting the base JT to be priced and equipped similar to the z71 or TRD-Off Road, but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I think the base will be like a current base JK, it will have features well beyond the average ā€˜baseā€™ truck and will start in the low 30K range and go up from there.

There wonā€™t be a bare bones, the other truck companies can provide a 2WD truck with small street tires and weak features compared to te average truck, but the JT doesnā€™t have that option nor should it pursue that race to the bottom market with a vehicle that costs them more than the competiton to make.

There will be a true Sport-like base model, but there wonā€™t be a bare bones one like there used to be in the old 2WD 4cylinder Wrangler days, Jeep learned their lesson from that... ie they make more from selling the uogrades to the base and the higher end models and special editions. This isnā€™t like other vehicles that it will share a category in name only.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Jeep Wranglers are, comparatively, expensive. They also come standard with 4x4, which makes tons of sense except for the fact that a huge part of the small truck market is in the base model 4x2's with minimal upgrades: fleet and entry level buyers. Do you guys think there will be a Gladiator that's priced in that 20k range to compete with all of the base Colorados, Tacomas, and Frontiers? This would also be the version of the truck that I would be looking at, though I would likely get 4x4.
The last time they made a Wrangler without 4x4 it created a lot of dissatisfied customers who didn't realize they bought a Jeep without 4x4. I suspect it would be the same with the Gladiator. It isn't worth the hit to public opinion from buyers that didn't pay attention.

You can get a Sport fairly stripped down, but it still has a few things that make it more expensive then the other entry level trucks. 4x4, V6, crew cab. 4x4 isn't getting removed because of the above reason and the engina and body style are that way due to limited production numbers, if the Gladiator started selling way more then we might see a king cab option or another engine choice.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
This is an old thread, but I think it proves a point. Jeep has no desire to capture entry level buyers. The purchase and service experience is debatable at best, but the price point and market share that Jeep is trying to capture is high end and going higher. They have figured out that they can make more money selling fewer vehicles at a premium price. Thatā€™s unlikely to change any time soon. Those hoping for a stripped down model in the future are going to be disappointed.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I say we hijack this thread for no reason, since it's pointless. FCA is a huge conglomerate trading as the third biggest on NYSE on Tuesday. Methinks whoever said they are not in the entry level car market was correct. If there even is an entry level car market. I think they call that used cars. Anyway, if you got a damaged JT you could mod it jeeper than buying new. Tear out what you don't want. Put in a two wheel drive or just disconnect. The thing has death wobble and wanders anyway. Probably have an insurance issue. But that might be the only way to get your base model cheaper.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I cannot readily find the direct quote, but FCA's late CEO Sergio Marchionne had said words to the effect that the Gladiator was intended and going to be a high middle or upscale market sold vehicle. There was no plans or business case to chase the low end and fleet market buyers with the Gladiator.

Quite frankly, I cannot see a low end market for it either. Sure you get the one off here or there person saying they want one, but most times that is just BS talk when it comes time to actually fork over the money for one.