Sponsored

What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

JLM007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, 1989 YJ (RIP), 1977 J10 (Sold)
Bought this storage box on eBay, didn’t use the two way tape & it seems to work fine https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143872722842

1EFF5686-1A02-4361-B6B5-665925DE9526.jpeg

16F070FE-4948-4D10-A376-D06E615110B3.jpeg
Just when I thought I've seen and tried every storage solution - this one is new to me. How are you liking it so far? Is it obtrusive to accessing a drink in that cupholder at all?
Sponsored

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I installed the Tazer JL mini. Still playing around with it. I purchased it for the "live functions". Remapping sway bar and lockers.
And yes, it works as advertised.

Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Today, I finished up the Auxbeam lights. I have the 'plastic wonder' bumper, so I used a piece of non-punched unistrut through bolted through the frame. Unistrut came black from the supplier, as well as the end caps.

IMG_20210115_130259.jpg

IMG_20210115_130305.jpg

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Today, I finished up the Auxbeam lights. I have the 'plastic wonder' bumper, so I used a piece of non-punched unistrut through bolted through the frame. Unistrut came black from the supplier, as well as the end caps.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_20210115_130305

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] IMG_20210115_130305
I really like that idea for mounting. Do you have, or do you mind taking, some pics of where you bolted it to the frame and all?

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I really like that idea for mounting. Do you have, or do you mind taking, some pics of where you bolted it to the frame and all?
Now that it's all closed up I've referenced a video and attached a photo from another user and made some notes. It's really pretty easy (I'm not a mech or fabricator by any means). Here's a video I found which shows the areas of concern.
Notes:
1) There are two push pins on the top which hold the plastic filler panel in place. (VIDEO 4:57) I drilled 1/4" holes in close proximity (the frame box is only ~2" wide) to them and continued drilling down through the lower part of the frame 'box'.
2) To assemble, remove the 'air dam' on the bottom (two hex and several push pins) then the steel cross shield (two bolts).
3) The ends of the frame box are open, so it's possible to insert the bolts through the bottom up to connect to the spring nuts in the unistrut. Pls. ref. attached photo.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Screenshot 2021-01-15 145535

Once you get under there it will be very clear. The beauty of the method is the connection is to spring nuts, and the unistrut can move laterally, so if your drilling's off a bit (like mine 😊) it can be easily compensated for. Just to be clear - removal of the bumper and filler is not necessary.
Hope it helps. I bought the material from McMaster-Carr.

Last edited:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Now that it's all closed up I've referenced a video and attached a photo from another user and made some notes. It's really pretty easy (I'm not a mech or fabricator by any means). Here's a video I found which shows the areas of concern.
Notes:
1) There are two push pins on the top which hold the plastic filler panel in place. (VIDEO 4:57) I drilled 1/4" holes in close proximity (the frame box is only ~2" wide) to them and continued drilling down through the lower part of the frame 'box'.
2) To assemble, remove the 'air dam' on the bottom (two hex and several push pins) then the steel cross shield (two bolts).
3) The ends of the frame box are open, so it's possible to insert the bolts through the bottom up to connect to the spring nuts in the unistrut. Pls. ref. attached photo.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Screenshot 2021-01-15 145535

Once you get under there it will be very clear. The beauty of the method is the connection is to spring nuts, and the unistrut can move laterally, so if your drilling's off a bit (like mine 😊) it can be easily compensated for.
Hope it helps. I bought the material from McMaster-Carr.

TYVM!

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Installed the Alpine speaker upgrade for the overhead soundbar. I bought the Alpine SPV-65-JLT from Crutchfield, as it was about $50 cheaper than Amazon, and Crutchfield includes the Metra adapters (Metra 72-6514), which are needed for the JTs (and JLs) that have the premium Alpine audio system. The instructions aren't the best. I've had to watch a couple YouTube videos and looked through forum threads.

Before:
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210114_143246

I used the included template and a pick to trace the new pattern. This worked very well for me as a pen, pencil, or marker was harder to see (irregular surfaces). The scribe/pick leaves a good mark to see and feel.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210114_144833

To cut the hole, I tried a jigsaw, but it was much harder to control, especially with the soundbar still installed. Then I tried an electric hot knife, but it produced toxic fumes, and the cuts immediately fused back together (molten plastic). Instructions, YouTubers, and other forum members recommended a reciprocating air saw. Others have also removed the soundbar. I left mine in place and used a box cutter (utility knife) instead. It took a bit more muscle, but it made much less of a mess, and it took about 15-20 minutes per side
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210115_095434

The template is not the best. I had to deviate and cut a bit more to avoid some awkward shapes. This is what the removed sections looked like. You can actually remove quite a bit more than what the template calls for. The new speaker's gasket just needs to have a surface to seal.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210115_113043

This is what the hole looks like. Yes, not pretty. If you have OCD (like me), turn away and don't think about how sausages are made.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210115_113105

The new Alpine speaker comes with a crossover. If you have premium audio, like mine, disconnect the wires from the woofer (just move them aside) and attach the Metra adapters.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210115_113531

Connect to the soundbar harness.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210115_113754

The resulting sound is AMAZING! Deeper, fuller bass, crispier highs, and looks great.
Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] 20210115_114134

Last edited:

Sponsored

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Installed the Alpine speaker upgrade for the overhead soundbar. I bought the Alpine SPV-65-JLT from Crutchfield, as it was about $50 cheaper than Amazon, and Crutchfield includes the Metra adapters, which are needed for the JTs (and JLs) that have the premium Alpine audio system. The instructions aren't the best. I've had to watch a couple YouTube videos and looked through forum threads.

Before:
20210114_143246.jpg

I used the included template and a pick to trace the new pattern. This worked very well for me as a pen, pencil, or marker was harder to see (irregular surfaces). The scribe/pick leaves a good mark to see and feel.
20210114_144833.jpg

To cut the hole, I tried a jigsaw, but it was much harder to control, especially with the soundbar still installed. Then I tried an electric hot knife, but it produced toxic fumes, and the cuts immediately fused back together (molten plastic). Instructions, YouTubers, and other forum members recommended a reciprocating air saw. Others have also removed the soundbar. I left mine in place and used a box cutter (utility knife) instead. It took a bit more muscle, but it made much less of a mess, and it took about 15-20 minutes per side
20210115_095434.jpg

The template is not the best. I had to deviate and cut a bit more to avoid some awkward shapes. This is what the removed sections looked like. You can actually remove quite a bit more than what the template calls for. The new speakers gasket just needs to have a surface to seal.
20210115_113043.jpg

This is what the hole looks like. Yes, not pretty. If you have OCD (like me), turn away and don't think about how sausages are made.
20210115_113105.jpg

The new Alpine speaker comes with a cross over. If you have premium audio, like mine, disconnect the wires from the woofer (just move them aside) and attach the Metra adapters.
20210115_113531.jpg

Connect to the soundbar harness.
20210115_113754.jpg

The resulting sound is AMAZING! Deeper, fuller bass, crisper highs, and looks great.
20210115_114134.jpg
looks great. Pricey, but great! Nice write up, too.
you mentioned you have the upgraded Alpine audio system already. I assume you mean the Premium amplified system, but everything I’ve read about these speakers indicate they are for the base audio system. I imagine they are quite the improvement over the base system, but how does it compare to the premium system? I guess what I’m asking is, is the improvement over the OEM Premium Audio System worth the $450?
thanks!

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
you mentioned you have the upgraded Alpine audio system already. I assume you mean the Premium amplified system, but everything I’ve read about these speakers indicate they are for the base audio system. I imagine they are quite the improvement over the base system, but how does it compare to the premium system? I guess what I’m asking is, is the improvement over the OEM Premium Audio System worth the $450?
thanks!
Yes, I totally agree with you on the price (a bit high). There are cheaper (and maybe better sounding) options, but I liked the look and took a chance on the sound quality. I've seen nothing but good reviews. Yes, I have the "premium" amplified system (8.4" with subwoofer), but it sounded quite anemic. I replaced the 3.5" speakers in the dash (top) as well as the soundbar (which I ended up removing to fit these new ones in), and it helped with clearer highs (less muddy). These new ones work much better together with the subwoofer. In fact, I had to adjust the bass down a bit from the equalizer. The product description on Crutchfield says it is for the base system (non-premium). It will work with the base system by just plugging into the speaker assembly the way it is out of the box. To adapt it to JTs (and JLs) with premium systems, I got a tip from another forum member who described using the supplied Metra connector to bypass the speaker's cross over. This allows the use of the "premium" sound system's cross over (built into the Jeep somewhere). I was on the fence due to the price, but now I'm glad I got these. Much better sound quality (and looks clean). Now, I'm looking into what to do with the knee panel speakers. Good luck!

Last edited:

El_Zorro

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
thanks!
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/school-me-on-upgrading-system.37773/page-2

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
@Jeepmonster

Next time you need to cut thin plastic like that, get a set of right and left Wiss Aviation sheet metal snips.

Jeep Gladiator What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] wiss-snips-m123r-64_600

They work so much easier than cutting plastic with a utility knife and not as messy as a Dremel. Dremel cutting blades are too small/expensive for real work anyways.
Sponsored