What has the off road community become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Newbies wanting to hit a mud hole or tear up some powerlines and leave their trash everywhere are doing way more damage to the real offroaders than a pavement princess ever will.
Exactly. It's sad to see what has happened to many of the areas around Moab in the past 10 years or so. Personally, I find the initial photos in this thread to be interesting and pretty dang cool. I go to car shows just to see stuff like this. And if it's cruisin' down Main Street, even better!
Sponsored

SnazzGlad

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
It ain’t my thing but JT’s look pretty decent with some big rims.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Nothing off road about that! Real off roaders wouldn't consider a JT to be a real trail rig anyway.

I say let them waste the money on making a very limited vehicle if they wish.
However, the JT is always in the list of best overlanders.

JUICEBOX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Literally every vehicle manufactured has had someone turn it into an off road 4 wheeling machine, I guess it goes both ways. How people spend their money is on them and most gear heads see the art in any vehicle.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone actually go off road anymore, or use their Jeeps for the intended purpose.

1677339317115.png

1677339358026.png

Sorry, just can't get into the show and shine, neon light up the ground, big wheel and small ducks.

KevinC
And what do YOU believe the intended purpose to be? What you decide?
Mine is a TRUCK. I use it for truck stuff and for transportation.
It's whatever the owner decides it is, not our choice to make how it's used.

IF you thought like that, then Jeep would never sell any Wranglers or Gladiators in Iowa.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not an off road community. It's a single vehicle community.

The some are off roaders, some are aspiring off roaders, some want to put 22s and 30 series tires on it.

I personally have no use for any info on any wheels over 17 inches. But to each his own.

I use my Gladiator for light offloading. In my case, the primary draws were
1) its a truck, I can haul stuff.
2) its a convertible
3) its agonizingly slow with terrible on-road manners but is still somehow fun to drive. This is because I tend to drive far too fast and I can enjoy the Gladiator while driving like a little old lady.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Does anyone actually go off road anymore, or use their Jeeps for the intended purpose.

1677339317115.png

1677339358026.png

Sorry, just can't get into the show and shine, neon light up the ground, big wheel and small ducks.

KevinC
As soon as I saw your photos, I immediately think 'Florida'. That's not common in most other parts of the country.

Sponsored

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
Lol, I was wondering the same thing. What is this “lane” they’re supposed to stay in? Why are people like this?

The most simple and important piece of advice any father can give his son - and what I always told my own to pass on to his, is this: just don’t be a Dick. Mind your own business and let others mind theirs. . .

Simple isn’t it? 🙂

Is any wonder the world is in the state it’s in?
Jeep Gladiator What has the off road community become? CCCFC59A-ADF6-4587-9759-C37F71C89FFF

WanderingJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Blue Overland - Prev, 2014 Polar JKU
Occupation
contract manager
I dont mind this this type of stuff. Its just another section of "car" culture. Its bad if we become snobby and say Jeeps can only fit a certain mold and only go offroad. I can appreciate the time and love these guys/gals put into it. Sure, for jt/jl I rather see them dressed up to look like they are going offroad/overlanding but oh well, their money, their time.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I do find it funny that OP sees two photos of Jeeps purpose-built for car shows, gets upset, and assumes that "nobody goes off-road anymore".

We all have our uses for our vehicles, and no two are identical. Nor would I want them to be. Would seem silly to expect someone to only do off-road worthy upgrades to something that never goes off-road.

Just like it would be silly for me to take my Jeep to one of these shows; I didn't build it for that! They did, and good for them on that.

And if a person who never goes off-road wants a Jeep or a Land Rover or something, why would I want to tell them "no"? (Only reason would be if I think we're better than them...which we aren't)

Last edited:

dmwphoto

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Then why are they buying a Jeep? Why can't they stay within their wheelhouse of low riders, street rides, bouncing classics? The Bubba Truck people stay in their lane. The squatter truck group stays in their lane. The Jeep community needs to take back our heritage.

Who am I kiding - I'm just ranting. It don't matter to me what they do, it's their money.
To each their own. Let them enjoy

AzGladius

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave JT
Occupation
Electronics and stuff
Well, the moment I finished reading the OPs rant, I knew this wouldn't go well. lol The Gladiator is a piss poor offroad only vehicle, too long, too low, too heavy. Even with a lot of modifications it will just keep up with lesser modified LJ's and JKUs mostly because of breakover and departure limitations.

I have seen this attitude with the go fast bois, the mini truck dudes, the full size custom truck people, etc. It's a cult like approach to vehicle ownership. It's easy to love a certain platform and think that anyone who doesn't use and appreciate it the way you do is an idiot and shouldn't own one.

I look at vehicles like that and appreciate the amount work and money spent unless the workmanship is dogshit, then I clown. Their money, their passion, their business. Just keep swimming.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.