First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Service DEF System, see dealer. "No restart" countdown initiated. 9/2020 build date. Been super cold here. Love my JT, but this is frustrating.
So, we’re you towing something? If so, what? And do you think that towing your trailer caused your DEF problem?

OP: I tow a 5500 lb travel trailer (weighed like we’re camping in it, not empty). This is my first MOPAR, but I wanted a jeep that could do “truck stuff” and do it well. My fiancé has the JLR with the 3.6L, and it’s fine for that application. I don’t have the faith that the 3.6L could do truck stuff like the ecodiesel can. I typically get 11-13 mpg towing my trailer with the JTRD, and around 25 mpg on my normal commute. I love it!

I just wish the suspension could handle the weight of the diesel better. I don’t even have the steel bumper... yet.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Service DEF System, see dealer. "No restart" countdown initiated. 9/2020 build date. Been super cold here. Love my JT, but this is frustrating.
I see that you're in Illinois. Been single digits and below there, right? DEF freezes pretty easily. I believe the system has a heater for the tank but it's possible that your lines have frozen up. I would thaw it all out, reset the codes, and see if they come back.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
WXman seems like the DEF light and freezing issues are more prominent in the JT vrs the Ram. Hadn’t read much from those guys unless I’m missing the forum discussion.

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
So, we’re you towing something? If so, what? And do you think that towing your trailer caused your DEF problem?

OP: I tow a 5500 lb travel trailer (weighed like we’re camping in it, not empty). This is my first MOPAR, but I wanted a jeep that could do “truck stuff” and do it well. My fiancé has the JLR with the 3.6L, and it’s fine for that application. I don’t have the faith that the 3.6L could do truck stuff like the ecodiesel can. I typically get 11-13 mpg towing my trailer with the JTRD, and around 25 mpg on my normal commute. I love it!

I just wish the suspension could handle the weight of the diesel better. I don’t even have the steel bumper... yet.
Oops. Wasn't towing. Replied in wrong thread!

Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Towed this with my diesel on 37's this past weekend. First time towing with her and she exceeded my expectations!! All this is at around 5,000 foot elevation.

Just coming home from the boat repair shop for maintenance the drive is mostly 65 mph and somewhat hilly. There's a section that is easily a 7% grade and going up the grade she held 7th gear at around 2,000 RPM at 65 mph.

Then when I brought the boat up to the lake for the season there were a few hilly areas where she down shifted as expected but I am still super impressed by how well she pulled this big pontoon.

Next up will be the 3,500 lb camper in a few weeks and I know she will impress once again!

Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel 2021-05-16 11.37.24

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Towed camper to Maine from CT over the weekend. First time towing long distance.
Towing was better than I expected… with a few caveats.
I wanted to share for anyone considering this as a towing option.
I bought the Gladiator specifically for this setup… and, in my opinion, it just barely does it (as did the math before I purchased).
Without additional equipment - NFW would I attempt it.

First - my setup:
2021 Overland w/towing package - GVWR = 6350 lbs / 1206 lbs payload, Trailer max=6000 lbs, tongue weight max=650 lbs. 18” tires and stock suspension parts. Fuel economy no load ~27 mpg.
Two passengers with payload ~525 LBS + tongue weight of 515 lbs = ~1040 lbs - about 86% capacity.
16’ Airstream - GVWR 4300 lbs dry / NCC 1039 lbs.
+Cargo ~360 lbs - total weight ~4660 lbs.
GCWR - 5144 + 1040 + 4660 = 10,844 lbs (12,100 is max)
So… ~89.6% capacity - heavy load for this rig.

Additional equipment installed:
Redarc brake controller
Firestone air bags ~10 lbs
EAZ-lift 600 WDH with the sway control bar
Wrangler add-on mirrors with the thorn-engineering velcro mounts
Two wireless cameras mounted on the back of the camper
OBD reader to monitor the truck
TPMS for both trailer tires

The good:
The eight-speed auto and the EcoDiesel easily got the Gladiator and trailer up to speed and, other than grades, held 8th gear at ~1700 rpms, steep grades, and accelerating, in 7th between 2100 and 2400 rpms. I used cruise control but shifted manually as it would down shift from 8th to 5th by itself - bouncing it to 3400rpms.
The only time I went over 3000 rpms was accelerating up hill on highway entrance.
Fuel economy - Trip out - 70°F / no wind, little traffic = 18.4 mpg, Trip back - 85°F / strong headwind, heavy traffic = 17.8 mpg.
Even with 35mph cross winds I felt stable and safe.
On an open stretch with nobody around I brought it to 74.56 mph (1999.5 rpm) - held 8th gear much better and still stable but I’m not comfortable going that fast with such tall tires.
Cameras mounted on trailer were a game changer - great visibility behind.
Overall a pleasant drive.

The bad:
On side roads the setup has a tendency to bob forward and back. The air bags were installed specifically to help and sort of do up to about 10 lbs but don’t do much after that. This is potentially dangerous at highway speeds, but it never happened, Thankfully.
GCWR is more limiting than I expected.
Without the cameras, or if they quit, I would be very concerned about vehicles behind me - as in no way would I see them.

Overall I felt the truck did the job well. It didn’t struggle, carried the weight well and temperatures stayed in bounds.
However… With the exception of the airbags and those two stupid little mirrors, ALL the additional equipment is a must for safety.
I highly recommend anyone pulling this much to stay at or below 65 mph.

IMG_014322.JPG

IMG_014402.JPG

IMG_014388.JPG

signal-2021-05-18-142635_001.jpeg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Towed camper to Maine from CT over the weekend. First time towing long distance.
Towing was better than I expected… with a few caveats.
I wanted to share for anyone considering this as a towing option.
I bought the Gladiator specifically for this setup… and, in my opinion, it just barely does it (as did the math before I purchased).
Without additional equipment - NFW would I attempt it.

First - my setup:
2021 Overland w/towing package - GVWR = 6350 lbs / 1206 lbs payload, Trailer max=6000 lbs, tongue weight max=650 lbs. 18” tires and stock suspension parts. Fuel economy no load ~27 mpg.
Two passengers with payload ~525 LBS + tongue weight of 515 lbs = ~1040 lbs - about 86% capacity.
16’ Airstream - GVWR 4300 lbs dry / NCC 1039 lbs.
+Cargo ~360 lbs - total weight ~4660 lbs.
GCWR - 5144 + 1040 + 4660 = 10,844 lbs (12,100 is max)
So… ~89.6% capacity - heavy load for this rig.

Additional equipment installed:
Redarc brake controller
Firestone air bags ~10 lbs
EAZ-lift 600 WDH with the sway control bar
Wrangler add-on mirrors with the thorn-engineering velcro mounts
Two wireless cameras mounted on the back of the camper
OBD reader to monitor the truck
TPMS for both trailer tires

The good:
The eight-speed auto and the EcoDiesel easily got the Gladiator and trailer up to speed and, other than grades, held 8th gear at ~1700 rpms, steep grades, and accelerating, in 7th between 2100 and 2400 rpms. I used cruise control but shifted manually as it would down shift from 8th to 5th by itself - bouncing it to 3400rpms.
The only time I went over 3000 rpms was accelerating up hill on highway entrance.
Fuel economy - Trip out - 70°F / no wind, little traffic = 18.4 mpg, Trip back - 85°F / strong headwind, heavy traffic = 17.8 mpg.
Even with 35mph cross winds I felt stable and safe.
On an open stretch with nobody around I brought it to 74.56 mph (1999.5 rpm) - held 8th gear much better and still stable but I’m not comfortable going that fast with such tall tires.
Cameras mounted on trailer were a game changer - great visibility behind.
Overall a pleasant drive.

The bad:
On side roads the setup has a tendency to bob forward and back. The air bags were installed specifically to help and sort of do up to about 10 lbs but don’t do much after that. This is potentially dangerous at highway speeds, but it never happened, Thankfully.
GCWR is more limiting than I expected.
Without the cameras, or if they quit, I would be very concerned about vehicles behind me - as in no way would I see them.

Overall I felt the truck did the job well. It didn’t struggle, carried the weight well and temperatures stayed in bounds.
However… With the exception of the airbags and those two stupid little mirrors, ALL the additional equipment is a must for safety.
I highly recommend anyone pulling this much to stay at or below 65 mph.

Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel signal-2021-05-18-142635_001

Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel signal-2021-05-18-142635_001

How wide is that camper? 8 feet?

GRDIESEL

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I got to tow for the first time this week. Our boat got out of storage. It is 24ft and has a dry weight of 4900lbs. I figure it is typically in the low to mid 5k lbs range. I couldn’t be happier. I was previously towing with a Chevy Colorado (gas) and it did fine but I got really tired of listening to it run between 3k and 4K RPMs on the highway.
The Gladiator had tons of power and cruised around 2k RPMs. I also got about 14 mpg which was about double the Colorado.

45516E47-972C-492F-A662-282AA8EF1125.jpeg

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The bad:

Thanks for the write-up, no way I would depend on a camera to see around the camper. The cheesy add-on side mirrors would be a must for me, hoping Jeep will address this as well = if your truck comes with tow pkg, it should also get mirrors that are 1/3 larger at least.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Thanks for the write-up, no way I would depend on a camera to see around the camper. The cheesy add-on side mirrors would be a must for me, hoping Jeep will address this as well = if your truck comes with tow pkg, it should also get mirrors that are 1/3 larger at least.
+ brake controller

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Pulled my fishing boat for the first time today. I need to weigh it, but estimate it at 4000-5000 total weight. No issues. Dropped To 6th going over the Sidney Sherman Bridge (IH-610 Houston Ship Channel) at 65, but mainly 7-8 with infrequent shifts. Stayed in 8 on flat ground. Trailer has surge brakes, but no issues stopping or accelerating.
Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel AEE20B26-D2FE-4F60-AEF7-D545F9A93D57

mayerrony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I've been pulling boat on weekends for a few months now. No issues whatsoever, pulling it, even with 37s. With the 2" Mopar lift, the rear doesn't even sag that much.

20210501_134116.jpg

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
I would love someone to post where they come up with tow ratings for this vehicle and the
Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel C0052F89-1E68-4D8A-942F-3EA57C85440A
Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel 86F398DC-B20B-49EA-86FC-01C7B360ABCA
test/(pretty sure it’s not real world, but more of a physics calculation). I towed this today in 104 degree temperatures at times. She didn’t even blink pulling grades at 70mph. 3.3 tons of landscape cinder and 2800 pound trailer.
Sponsored