Sponsored

What price shenanigans have you seen dealerships do?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Had a dealership (Southwest CDJR in Cleburne, Tx. I recommend avoiding it like the plague) I was in contact with about a very rare config I found in transit to their store (profile pic related). I explained that I was quite serious and I would like her to call me as soon as it arrives so we can discuss putting a deposit down. She did, and we were discussing pricing she hits me with "Because of the market, we can only offer you MSRP - $500". Whatever, heard the same from other dealerships I talked to, was ready to shell out knowing I wouldn't find another build like this anywhere else in the country.

She then told me that company policy is that they could only hold it for 24 hours after receiving payment or a deposit, which would require me to take off work the following day with no notice. Then she added on a $1200 "Image Guard" protection policy that she insisted came included on all new vehicles on their lot and could not be opted out of. I pushed back hard on this, asked to talk to her manager. He wouldn't budge, and added that they were already doing me a favor by allowing me the opportunity to purchase the vehicle, as they consider their local clients more important. Again, whatever. I just wanted the Jeep and was not planning to ever deal with them again.

Called the manager again, told him that I wanted to see the contract I would be signing for this 3rd party protection package they were forcing me to buy (the 3rd party's site mentioned the contract). He told me he did not currently have a copy and he would talk to his finance people and get that to me. Then 2 hours of radio silence. I text them back and ask about an update, I'm told they currently have someone else in the store looking to buy the vehicle (keep in mind it had been on the lot less than 6 hours at this point). Once again get in contact with the manager and ask him what's going on, he says somewhat smugly that yes, there is someone he is working with right now to make a deal on the vehicle. He also says that "The most important customer is the one sitting across from me". I was done at that point. They either had someone set up to buy it behind my back, or they didn't care we had been talking for a week, they have no problem telling non locals to piss off.

Cherry on top, sales rep I had been talking to the last week about it sent me a long text essentially blaming me for not moving fast enough and that "They had made it very clear" what their terms were from the beginning and they didn't send me the contract because it just had the same information as the brochure they sent (I didn't ask them if it had the same information, I said I wanted a copy of the document I would be signing). I told her if this is the kind of service I can expect from her company then I'm glad I did not go through with it.

Two days later I put in a custom order for a similar config at my local dealership with a sales rep I've worked with before and trusted. I got all the options I wanted (that the other build didn't have) and got it for around invoice price, much less than they were trying to scam me for in Cleburne.

As others have mentioned, push back hard if they're trying to do you dirty. Even if it's the most perfect build you can find, it's not worth rewarding scumbag business practices. You'll get a better deal custom ordering and it will feel more special when it finally arrives. (Sorry for wall of text, had to vent)
Dealers get away with that shit because they can in today's market. My two local CDJR dealers pretty much have bidding wars on what is in transit and is usually gone within the day of off load.

You did good to order local and not reward that bad behavior.
Sponsored

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
About the current state of the used car prices....

Used 2020 Mojave with 3,726 miles and a sticker price of 51,370. Based on pics, looks completely stock. Yet, the dealer has it listed for... $52,000. Who in their right mind would pay that? I mean... c'mon!

https://www.saffordoffredericksburg...heel-drive-crew-cab-pickup-1c6jjteg9ml533856/
I donā€™t get that either.

Up the street from me the guy has an 18 (think itā€™s a JL possibility a JK) with a steel bumper and a winch for like 42k. Crap I got a fully loaded 21 Overland for 47.

I have to think they do that so if they come down 5-6 K they make the customer feel like they got a deal.

I need to pay a price I can live with. Donā€™t rip me off but I understand they need to keep the lights on. Iā€™m not going to argue over 1K when Iā€™m spending 40K+ when itā€™s exactly what I want.

But i have to say my Tacoma I just traded in I got what I paid for it but itā€™s only got 3500 miles.

That Mojave would be worth 40-41K ish to me. If someone pays 52 for that send them my way. I have a 21 overland Iā€™ll sell them for 70K lol

Zrikz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future gladiator?
Used prices are nuts at the moment.. my telluride I bought 17 months ago is going for about 2k more than I paid for it brand new. did the KBB.com instant cash offer today and have had 3 dealers fighting to pay more than the KBB value, which was already more than I paid new last year.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
For the trade it every couple of years or so crowd, buying now used or new at high market, there going to be a massive negative equity bubble to deal with.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover

Sponsored

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
For reasons similar to that, I purchased my first Jeep in another state and drove it home. Had to pay sales tax separately when I registered the vehicle but the savings were worth the 4 1/2 hour drive. Good Luck

NYBULLDOG

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Living
I bought mine from Nick Barone at Dutchess County Jeep. This guy doesn't play games. Gave me a price on a 80th Anniversary that I simply could not say no to. Drove 1 hour from where I live. Easy, peasy.

ElJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jefflenney.com
Vehicle(s)
Had a 2018 Audi Q5, lease is up - nothing as of ye
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
Bob Baker in Carlsbad CA https://www.bobbakerchryslerjeep.net tried the exact same thing, they added their own 1,495 destination charge to the price of their gladiators. Then tried to BS me in saying this is normal practice and a mandatory fee to add the aditional 1495 on top of the MSRP when it is clearly included in the MSRP. I told the salesman that I would refuse to work with a dealer that is straight out lying to customers and walked out. Ended up ordering new from a different dealer.
So wait, if the destination fee is added as a sep charge at all, it's a scam/worthless add-on? Don't all car dealerships have these?

Ty!

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
So wait, if the destination fee is added as a sep charge at all, it's a scam/worthless add-on? Don't all car dealerships have these?

Ty!
The $1495 destination fee is charged to the dealer and passed on at the time of sale. What we're talking about here is them adding it a second time.

Cutterpillow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
So here's my recent experience with dealer pricing shenanigans...

I've been wanting to test drive a Gladiator for a while so I went to the local dealer to do that. I told them I wasn't going to be buying today (I know, it doesn't matter, they'll try to sell anyway) and actually had a really good experience with being able to check out all the Gladiators they had in stock ā€” they were all unlocked & I had a good 10-15 minutes or so alone to explore them & check out the different interiors while the sales guy went to get keys for a test drive. Test drive, exploring the Jeeps was all great.

Post-drive it all fell apart. They didn't even have what I was looking for on the lot (Freedom Edition + Max Tow Package, etc.), but they did have a basic one in transit. I knew this ahead of time as I'd seen it in the jeep.com inventory, but I hadn't paid close attention to the MSRP since, aside from the Max Tow Package, it didn't have much else of what I was looking for.

All I wanted to know was a ball-park discount they could do off MSRP. Keep in mind, I didn't even really want this jeep. Their starting price was $62,000! Big warning sign was that the itemized feature & package printout didn't even include the MSRP for any of the items or the final price. I'm thinking ā€” "$62,000, wow that seems quite a bit over MSRP". I ask, what kind of deal they could do off of that? Then they start into all the usual pushy salesman BS: "what do you want to pay for it?", "why would I give you a number if you're not going to buy today?", "how much do you want your monthly payments to be?", etc.

It's the whole "we're not gonna give you a number until you give us a number" nonsense. So finally I say, "look, that $62,000 is way off, I know that on your website it's more like $59,000 so let's at least start there." They give me this whole nonsense about it being a popular trim level, and low inventory and that some Gladiators were going for $10K above MSRP and the prices on their website ā€” even when they're low ā€” aren't the actual prices, etc.. And then just proceed to push with more of the nonsense. They eventually gave a much lower number, but it wasn't going anywhere so I left frustrated that I couldn't even get a real ball-park estimate of the price.

After that my frustration only grows into anger. I was wondering if that $59,000 number was actually the number I saw on the website, it still seemed a bit high. And high it was indeed! I had completely mis-remembered the number on the website, it was actually $48,975!

$48,975 on their website, $62,000 is their starting price! That's what really pissed me off, the dishonesty to not even start at the MSRP on their own website and to not even include any prices on the itemized printout they gave me. I expect the pushy sales tactics, not that I like it. But I also expect the honesty to at least show me an honest MSRP as a starting point.

Bottom line. Avoid the Jeep dealer in Kirkland, WA.

Anyone have any recommendations for good dealers elsewhere in Washington?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Tactics like this must work well enough on some people or these places wouldn't do them. But I'd think a lot more people would walk and leave a nasty review than buy.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Tactics like this must work well enough on some people or these places wouldn't do them. But I'd think a lot more people would walk and leave a nasty review than buy.
Many dealers just do not care. Everyday, there is a new rube walking in the door.

The whole dealership mafia model needs to go away and direct manufacturer model sales needs to happen before most of this nonsense goes away.

christmas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
infiniti g35
Occupation
Realtor
My favorite dealer ā€œadd onā€ was nitrogen filled tiresā€¦ on a Jeep Iā€™m clearly going to be deflating/inflating every weekend šŸ˜‰

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
My favorite dealer ā€œadd onā€ was nitrogen filled tiresā€¦ on a Jeep Iā€™m clearly going to be deflating/inflating every weekend šŸ˜‰
Not only that but every tire is filled with 72% N right from a compressor.

christmas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
infiniti g35
Occupation
Realtor
Not only that but every tire is filled with 72% N right from a compressor.
Exactly, lol. I took it anyway bc it was on lot w/ most else I wanted & their ā€œdealer addā€ onā€ included a few other things that were actually useful, but I made them cut the bs fee in 1/2 first. Just seemed a silly thing to throw into a Jeep package. Suppose itā€™s still better than paying for the financing departmentā€™s LoJack system in case you donā€™t pay your note šŸ˜‚ (Karr Alarm)
Sponsored