First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladitor Sport
Occupation
Construction Manager
33x12.5x17 with -12 is what i am running. almost 2" poke.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
then for every half inch of rim width you add...
My brain isn't computing this.

Why would wheel width matter at all on a vehicle where the tire is always noticeably wider than the wheel?

315s on 17x7.5s at +6 should poke exactly the same as 315s on 17x10s at +6, no? Maybe a rounding error's worth of difference for how the sidewall pulls on the tread.

If someone could explain where I'm conceptualizing this incorrectly I'd appreciate it.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

Why would wheel width matter at all on a vehicle where the tire is always noticeably wider than the wheel?

315s on 17x7.5s at +6 should poke exactly the same as 315s on 17x10s at +6, no? Maybe a rounding error's worth of difference for how the sidewall pulls on the tread.

If someone could explain where I'm conceptualizing this incorrectly I'd appreciate it.
Jeep Gladiator Wheel offset to get optimal tire poke? D329F147-F285-49BE-843D-44625130949F

Jeep Gladiator Wheel offset to get optimal tire poke? 7E6E06D1-A909-4B9D-8D8A-2ABE973863B3

Jeep Gladiator Wheel offset to get optimal tire poke? 2FFFB550-BB65-43D8-97FA-0DC1EE865E03

092F0777-77A9-430F-965F-099AD4255030.png

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
If you access their site from a laptop or desktop it provides a nice graphic representation of the difference too..... here was my picture going from factory wheel on tire on my JTR to a -12mm offset wheel and 37x12.5LT17 tires.
Jeep Gladiator Wheel offset to get optimal tire poke? Screenshot from 2023-05-01 11-03-05

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
If you access their site from a laptop or desktop it provides a nice graphic representation of the difference too..... here was my picture going from factory wheel on tire on my JTR to a -12mm offset wheel and 37x12.5LT17 tires.
Jeep Gladiator Wheel offset to get optimal tire poke? Screenshot from 2023-05-01 11-03-05
The only thing with this field was that you canā€™t take wheel width into account.

Sponsored

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
The only thing with this field was that you canā€™t take wheel width into account.
When you base your measurements on offset, the wheel width doesn't play much of a factor in the overall outcome (other than some minor effect on the resulting actual tire cross-section). The tire size determines the expected width and offset is measured from the hub surface. The numbers that tiresize.com generates should be good for getting a handle on how changing the tire and/or offset will affect the location of the tire. The real number that will indicate how much poke is the one labelled "The outer sidewall is..."

If you are looking at backspacing, the wheel width matters, and that's why they have the chart for converting wheel width and backspace into an offset.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support

it may be an inch but the diameter of a tuna can

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?

The full quote - "then for every half inch of rim width you add, you would need a 1/4 inch (6.35mm) of negative offset to stay even on the poke with the same width tires."

A 7.5 wide rim with zero offset means you have 3.75" of rim set inward towards your steering and suspension components.
An 8" wide rim with zero offset moves the inner edge of the rim 1/4" closer, and thus the tire's edges as well. Same tire, but the bead got moved inward by going to a wider rim, as did the sidewall, tread, etc.
A 12.5 " tire will also sit wider at the sidewalls and tread on an 8 inch rim than it will on a 7.5". So 1/4" is just the mechanical allowance (to keep the inside edged of the rim where it was on rim that was 1/2" more narrow). In reality it's likely to be slightly more than that.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
optimal for me is treads under the fenders and sidewalls outside. +18
I like your thinking - definitely seems like it would reduce the amount of small rocks and such hitting the sides of the Jeep or getting thrown into the side view mirrors... I like to see at least the sidewalls poking out when i look down the side of the vehicle, not hiding underneath.

Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I like your thinking - definitely seems like it would reduce the amount of small rocks and such hitting the sides of the Jeep or getting thrown into the side view mirrors... I like to see at least the sidewalls poking out when i look down the side of the vehicle, not hiding underneath.
Thanks. For me this process was a lot of reading and research like the OP is doing here, but ultimately it feels like I got lucky considering all the variables. My backup plan was to add the fender extenders if the treads ended sticking out.

@MojaveMat, I feel your pain.

OP
OP
MojaveMat

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Iā€™m going to have to sit down and play with this on a computer. Iā€™d like to eventually get new wheels and rid of my spacers. Debating on going from 35 to 37 but I think the 35s fit the Gladiators nicely. I really like the AEV Borah Duelsport wheels but I think those have +25 offset. I guess you need to figure how much tire poke you want and work backwards to find the right wheel/tire combo?

OP
OP
MojaveMat

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks. For me this process was a lot of reading and research like the OP is doing here, but ultimately it feels like I got lucky considering all the variables. My backup plan was to add the fender extenders if the treads ended sticking out.

@MojaveMat, I feel your pain.
Yeah, my truck mostly sees pavement 355/365 days so Iā€™m maybe 60% aesthetics and 40% capability in my decision making. I like a little poke, and I want to get rid of my spacers and get new wheels. Still debating on moving from 35 to 37 but adding anymore lift will make it really tight in the garage with 37s. Iā€™ve seen you can do 37 with stock Mojave lift but itā€™s tight. The problems we deal with! šŸ˜‚

Reactions: A 2

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
I want no rubbing with min poke. My 0 off set methods have a little more than I really like but not worth the $$$ of new wheels. My Rubicon axles are wide.
Sponsored