Sponsored

Who’s buying these overpriced JT’s?

Gunrunner72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ, 2002 HD Deuce, 2013 Corvette Z06, 2015 F-350, 2016 HD StreetGlide, 1980 CJ-7(sold), 1989 Cherokee(sold), 1985 CJ-7(sold)
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey
I remember the housing market pre - 2008, same thing.
Banks would finance for too much, value was not equal, does anyone remember 2008?
All too well. And, it's coming again sometime soon.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
So you feel like my logic is not so bad? Because the other day i over heard a conversation in the barber shop about how stupid people like me are and if you cant put down 20 to 30 percent on a vehicle and pay it off in 3 or 4 years you cant afford it. I did not agree but didnt say anything just listened.
Those people are dipshits

That's 1970s thinking when car interest was like 15%. Your thinking is 100% spot on, when you can get a car under 3 or 4% APR and afford to put extra money down there's no reason not to

Loose Nut

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Retail franchise
Maybe the dealer has very low inventory with none on the way. This way they keep the product on the lot to show people, and for test drives, and encourage factory orders at a less insane price.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I don't care how people purchase their cars, really do not.

It gets me a bit riled up when people look at the extensive modifications I have made to my newer cars and make unwelcome comments.

My ability to afford my truck came from my very first purchased truck. I started saving for an adult truck right out of school. i flipped a couple beaters I rebuilt and was finally able to afford a Brand new 0 mile Ram 2500 diesel. I was 30+ years old.

When that laid its transmission all over the interstate in kentucky hauling nothing but xmas presents, alot happened and my dealer put me in a current year Laramie no charge. After that I have always had enough equity to get mostly what I want with very little financing.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Paying cash, if you have it, is also not always a crazy idea.

My bank is currently paying 0.15% on their longest term CD (48 month).
Their new car loan is at 4% for 4 years (applied to MY 2020, 2021, 2022).

So, if you have the funds, you could pay cash, and then pay yourself back and save the interest. Paying yourself back is the key to this, which requires self discipline.

Of course, this is only if you have the cash available and are not pulling funds out of market investments which typically earn more.

Note that your bank, your cash flow, your rates and your investments may vary.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I don't care how people purchase their cars, really do not.

It gets me a bit riled up when people look at the extensive modifications I have made to my newer cars and make unwelcome comments.

My ability to afford my truck came from my very first purchased truck. I started saving for an adult truck right out of school. i flipped a couple beaters I rebuilt and was finally able to afford a Brand new 0 mile Ram 2500 diesel. I was 30+ years old.
Pretty much the only thing I'm not looking forward to about the JT will be comments like this. I'm a few months away from being twice the age I was when I got my last car...

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Paying cash, if you have it, is also not always a crazy idea.

My bank is currently paying 0.15% on their longest term CD (48 month).
Their new car loan is at 4% for 4 years (applied to MY 2020, 2021, 2022).

So, if you have the funds, you could pay cash, and then pay yourself back and save the interest. Paying yourself back is the key to this, which requires self discipline.

Of course, this is only if you have the cash available and are not pulling funds out of market investments which typically earn more.

Note that your bank, your cash flow, your rates and your investments may vary.
That's correct. Not everyone buys the same way. I know someone who did the "unpardonable sin" of taking money from his 401k to buy a car outright. And he's an accountant. For the next 5 years he'll be paying himself back.

My credit union is running 2.34% on new (2020+) car loans.

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Those people are dipshits

That's 1970s thinking when car interest was like 15%. Your thinking is 100% spot on, when you can get a car under 3 or 4% APR and afford to put extra money down there's no reason not to
Lol ! Thanks man.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
All too well. And, it's coming again sometime soon.
Spot on. Thank your lucky stars you guys don't live in California. I know it's widespread, but it's absolutely nuts here. People are going to get burned. Bad.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I started shopping for a Gladiator I assumed the used ones would represent a savings.

My last 3 cars have been 2-4 year old new appearing used cars that I've purchased at anywhere from 30-50% of the new price. A good deal.

Imagine my surprise even before this shortage hit when I found 1 year old, 12,000 mile Gladiators for the same price as new.

But I don't impulse buy. I've been thinking about this for a year.

I just got home with my Mojave from Gupton this morning and couldn't be happier with both the vehicle and the deal.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I thot $42k was good for a basic MaxTow. It's the additional $10k to make it off road worthy that I had a hard time with. But, now it works right on trails and can almost keep up with the smaller Jeeps on the trail, but I don't think it ever will all the way. I'm just glad I don't have to drive it every day.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
When I started shopping for a Gladiator I assumed the used ones would represent a savings.

My last 3 cars have been 2-4 year old new appearing used cars that I've purchased at anywhere from 30-50% of the new price. A good deal.

Imagine my surprise even before this shortage hit when I found 1 year old, 12,000 mile Gladiators for the same price as new.

But I don't impulse buy. I've been thinking about this for a year.

I just got home with my Mojave from Gupton this morning and couldn't be happier with both the vehicle and the deal.
Jeep Jeeps have a premium; Wranglers have held their value pretty well. Gladiators are similar as an in-demand vehicle. I would see 1 JT in my town for about a year. Then another one. Now there are a handful so it's not so strange to see one in and around town.

The new car premium is real. Before the JT, my last 3 vehicles were bought used, the oldest 4 years, all under 25k miles. And substantially less than new (they all had the current body style on market).

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The question we should be asking: "who isn't buying these things?" They are damn cool and everyone should drive one😁

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Jeep Jeeps have a premium; Wranglers have held their value pretty well. Gladiators are similar as an in-demand vehicle. I would see 1 JT in my town for about a year. Then another one. Now there are a handful so it's not so strange to see one in and around town.

The new car premium is real. Before the JT, my last 3 vehicles were bought used, the oldest 4 years, all under 25k miles. And substantially less than new (they all had the current body style on market).
The smaller dealerships around my area have 1 JT on the lots. Larger ones have a handful. None are marked up.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The smaller dealerships around my area have 1 JT on the lots. Larger ones have a handful. None are marked up.
Depends on the region. Our dealerships have a handful, with listed prices inline with msrp for the most part. With a caveat "prices listed are not the actual selling price, contact dealer for selling price." Since I already have one, I'm not trolling the lots to see what price they're going.
Sponsored