Sponsored

Who else is happy with the Pentastar?

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
LOL - riiiiight.

In the 1/8 mile I bet it would make a difference. Your speed measured at the 1/8 mark is something watched and I bet these make a difference.

Doesn't matter how hard you mash that pedal - it still ramps or slows the signal to the ECU.

These controllers take the lag out.

You can smack it to 100% as fast as the best drag racer - but what the ECU sees will be 50.....60.....70....80.....90....up to 100% and that 100% is not there as quickly as you think it is.
These modify the signal so it's more like 50.60.70.80.90.100 %

The modern vehicle, like the JT, has lag built in to accommodate a wider variety of drivers, from kids to women to old men to the 25 year old rock climbing ninja.
They also have to temper the response for CAFE - instant throttle burns more fuel.
What the engineers do is akin to putting a shock absorber in the pedal's signal.
These make that adjustable all the way to instant response.
Doesn't matter how fast you think you mash that pedal, the ECU sees someone pushing their foot down not all at once.
Just because your foot is planted firmly doesn't mean the ECU got that all at once. In fact the faster you think you are - the more lag there will be.
I used to do autocross - and there's no way these modern vehicles respond like my cars did.

These controllers can even make it so that by the time you hit 70% pedal travel it's almost all in so the last little bit doesn't make much difference. So they can change the ratio of pedal travel to signal strength.
The pedal is a potentiometer. That's it. Any intelligence is in the ECM and you aren't bypassing that.

All you are doing is making the throw shorter. I don't need that. I can see why some people do.
Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
So, 0-60, 1/4 mile times etc. are faster using the gadget than without it? (Not real applicable to the JT, I admit.)
now, my logic says times won't change, however, i feel like i'm getting stronger/quicker pull from this thing than anything i ever got from being floored, i drive pretty aggressively, left lane, gtf out of my way, high beams flashing etc. so my right foot was well trained to the floor...take it for what it's worth, you can set it up to barely touch the throttle and match what you can do by flooring it, so if you'd like to relax a bit and pull harder/faster then get the thing, i dunno how much measure you could do in a 0-60 but much like an air intake/exhaust, the butt dyno tells you it's something, i find stock a little too passive and anything above 5 lots too aggressive, best i can do without looking like a rookie(herky jerky - manual transmission) is 2, currently testing 3 again to see if i can re-train my right foot, i can tell you that for towing it was welcome as you lose momentum quick and this helps regain it way better than stock

having said all that, if the response is faster than stock then if you can nail perfect runs it should show up on a time slip, measurable enough on paper to matter, probably not, measurable enough in daily driving....YES

go try one and see for yourself, seems like you're trying to sell yourself out of it, i did the same for awhile, i'm telling you, go try one, earth shattering no, make a pleasant difference in driving livability and sportiness...YES...maybe they have a money back? Try one, it's plug and play, fast and easy to see for yourself

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
The pedal is a potentiometer. That's it. Any intelligence is in the ECM and you aren't bypassing that.

All you are doing is making the throw shorter. I don't need that. I can see why some people do.
At the end of the day, if you don't need it, that's cool. It's your call and means nothing to me one way or another. Just know that it doesn't matter how fast you can tromp the pedal...... the signal from the pedal to the engine is outside of the speed of your foot and your control. It's mechanical physics.

That said, take a look at this video where they tested it.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
At the end of the day, if you don't need it, that's cool. It's your call and means nothing to me one way or another. Just know that it doesn't matter how fast you can tromp the pedal...... the signal from the pedal to the engine is outside of the speed of your foot and your control. It's mechanical physics.

That said, take a look at this video where they tested it.

For most people it overcomes their years of training not to be aggressive on the throttle. I don't need that.

I do agree the gadget can go from 0 to 100% quicker than I can, but the difference is so minor. It takes maybe 0.1 - 0.2 seconds to hit full throttle. It's an automatic so it just stays at 100% if I want it to.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
wow, the video proves the butt dyno...nice one, just get the damn thing already lol

foo...this wasn't a 1-2% difference lol, he was seeing 10-20% difference, and if you can hear how many times he says it transforms the drivability...as i was also saying, it really wakes things up, if you like your sleepy jeepy with your awake foot that works too lol, but they make a noticeable difference, you stubborn sob ;)

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
At 16,600 kms with my 2021 Glad R, I have an internal coolant leak since day one (oil analysis reports) consuming 2 cups coolant every 10k oil change. Also, just experienced my first two PO302 - cylinder #2 misfire.
Been in the the shop one month waiting for the camshaft and rockers replacement.
Chrysler is going through the motions to diagnose and fix the misfire…as for the coolant leak…the wise engineers have said “glycol did not damage the camshaft. “ Period.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Im happy with the pentastar. My brother had 5 trouble free years with one in his Jeep GC and now has a JL. my wifes journey is 6 years old, again trouble free with 110k and my JK gave me 3 trouble free years. So far its been great going on its third oil change soon. Started running 91 octane in the warmer months for towing and high altitude driving. I skipped ordering the diesel for the reason that the 3.6 is a great motor, not perfect but has done well in the NA V6 market.

Lakelife36

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
Thanks RBA!!! That sounds like just what I want for mine. That sluggishness was my only negative and I believe this will take care of it. :like:
Hey did you try this out yet? I'm looking for more user feedback on it.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Hey did you try this out yet? I'm looking for more user feedback on it.
I know you didn't ask me, and I don't recall the exact post, but if you happen to be talking about a pedal control device..... they are fantastic on modern vehicles, love mine, and I was a skeptic.

Running the Pedal Commander on mine just because I loved the same device on my previous Tundra, but tons love the iDrive here! It's an impressive result, either auto or manual.

And if I'm off base, please ignore me ha

Lakelife36

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
I know you didn't ask me, and I don't recall the exact post, but if you happen to be talking about a pedal control device..... they are fantastic on modern vehicles, love mine, and I was a skeptic.

Running the Pedal Commander on mine just because I loved the same device on my previous Tundra, but tons love the iDrive here! It's an impressive result, either auto or manual.

And if I'm off base, please ignore me ha
Nope you're bang on. Do you find any difference in fuel economy or traction with yours?

Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, 0-60, 1/4 mile times etc. are faster using the gadget than without it? (Not real applicable to the JT, I admit.)
And exactly how you are missing the point... It's just simply more fun to drive ha. That was enough for me, and I paid my money, and LOVE it ha..... enjoy the drive more.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope you're bang on. Do you find any difference in fuel economy or traction with yours?
I didn't save anything in normal daily driving, but I never even considered the economy modes. Don't buy a pedal device to save money, but it's no worse if you drive like normal... it just makes the truck much more fun to drive at your discretion.

Traction control, that's entirely up to you ha.... it stays the same if you leave it turned on, even with the pedal device. It works same as factory, but is activated more often than stock until you turn off the button.

But, if you happen to want to make some smoke, they help ha with traction control off. And, with a Tazar Mini, well, it's all up to you, as you can disable all the traction/stability/ABS controls........ not that I've tried ;)

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
I am really happy with it in the JT. My wife has a 2011 GC with it and it has been great.

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
1. Does using a pedal control device void the warranty?
2. Does using one in California make the car fail smog test?

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
1. Does using a pedal control device void the warranty?
2. Does using one in California make the car fail smog test?
In California, it is suspected to cause cancer, because it seems like California suspects that from everything. Sorry, couldn't resist...

Re: Warranty, there's something called the federal Magnuson Moss act that's relatively protective of consumers' warranties in relation to aftermarket and accessory parts, unless the add-on is shown to be the specific actual cause of the problem. Except if you end up with a jerky dealer it's still your battle to get them to abide by that...

Re: emissions, does CA test tailpipe at idle only? If so the devices should be invisible at idle. It'll only show up, maybe, if they test on a dyno, which I'm guessing they don't but I have no idea. Even on a dyno, it shouldn't really change fuel mix or timing, it just affects how rapidly the drive by wire actually invokes the actual throttle response
Sponsored