Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the Pentastar. Especially with the 8 speed transmission, it is matched well.

You guys who keep clamoring for a 8 cylinder, you're going to end up with a smallish V8 that you are going to be disappointed with....not enough power, yet gas mileage that sucks. The worst of both worlds.
This V6 engine has the horsepower of an 80s Chevy V8.
Love this engine and have them in two rigs.
Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I thought I'd hate it before I bought my Gladiator, but it is totally fine. It suits the vehicle/ typical use case well.

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
We have the 3.6 in our Grand Caravan and I have always loved it; The transmission holds it back, though. The 3.6 in the Mojave feels like kind of a dog, but with the 6-speed it's serviceable. Probably just the weight difference and gearing. It's just about impossible to use 6th gear on the highways, though, because of the hills here in Montana... You're doing 50 in an 80 before you know it.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I always say you "buy" an engine and then everything else flows from there. Years back I was on a business trip and had a 300C with the Pentastar...I really liked the engine in that vehicle. I think we can always use more horsepower, but overall, I'm very happy with the Pentastar in the JT.

Sponsored

bluetick

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
writer
I've had my JT for about 6 months now, and I have to say I'm surprisingly happy with the Pentastar. I was on the fence about going diesel but couldn't justify it for many reasons. Cons outweighed the pros for me. The Pentastar starts easy in really cold weather. It's quiet. Does just fine towing my TT. Has more than enough power for what I use it for. I came from a V6 Tacoma and I like it better than that engine.
What, specifically, are you towing?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Happy with mine I tow a couple boats quite a bit, they are both around 3500lbs. I have towed with stock 32” tires, 34” and 35” the smaller the tire the better it does but even with the 35” tires it does pretty well. It has enough power and stability on the highway I usually stay around 65mph. No issues with my JT just over a year old and have 20k miles.

B19C8CBB-C716-4B36-87E3-81648007F76E.jpeg

Dos Cylindros

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Crystal Granite Metallic
I went to my Gladiator from a 6.4 L Charger widebody Scat Pack. I have zero complaints about the 3.6. It has nearly 300 HP and while 260 Ft Lbs of torque is not the greatest the 4.10 gearing in mine makes it seem like so much more. In my Scat Pack I always felt frustrated because outside of a track you can really sensibly use the power (but it is fun). At the end of the day I actually prefer my Gladiator. I missed having a truck bed and the 3.6 is much better suited for day to day life. The extra bonus is I don't have to pony up for premium fuel.

Sponsored

ranger5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave, 37" KO2s, AEV 2" lift, Tazer
I am coming from a 2016 F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost (385HP 420Tq). The Pentastar feels way underpowered to me. I like driving my Gladiator a lot more, but I do miss the power of the EcoBoost engine.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I miss the sound of my V-8 Tundra but not the huge truck that I didn't need. The only thing I don't like about this engine is the marble juggling lugging sound it makes when I turn corners sometimes. I was told it's normal but it is scary long term. This is also the noisiest engine I have ever had when it starts up. Other than that it runs quiet and smooth. Auto start stop is broke most of the time but it idles so still, it feels like it's off.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I am coming from a 2016 F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost (385HP 420Tq). The Pentastar feels way underpowered to me. I like driving my Gladiator a lot more, but I do miss the power of the EcoBoost engine.
Those 3.5L Ecoboost engines are dogs, I mean just loaded with torque. I remember the first time I drove one which was in a company truck out in the middle of nowhere West Texas. I floored it to see what it had and boy was I surprised.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Those 3.5L Ecoboost engines are dogs, I mean just loaded with torque. I remember the first time I drove one which was in a company truck out in the middle of nowhere West Texas. I floored it to see what it had and boy was I surprised.
The Gen 1 Ecoboost in my 15 passenger Ford Transit is just a beast. It flings that big van around like a toy. 0-60 in 7 seconds flat. it's actually a hoot to drive. When loaded with people and luggage, it doesn't even know it.