In essence they are VW BUS gear reduction boxes from the 1950's
Jeep Gladiator WHOA! Portal Axles for Gladiator look awesome Kdf82_redukce
Sponsored

Gmac03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys D
The HMMWV’s have this same setup, wonder if you could find some scrap parts and make them work? 🧐

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Just for comparison, 74Weld says theirs are 1:1.22 reduction

DSTrac axles say "Portal Gear reduction 1:1.20"

I'm seeing GWagen kits that are 1.16:1

Really curious if anyone finds those to be streetable
1.20ish reduction I think is a pretty good start, but Dynatrac' 1.5 isn't going to fly for anything daily driven except for a seriously underpowered gas rig.

4.10s would be like 4.90 final drive ratio and most people here do 4.88-5.38 anyway.

jn18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GLS63, 2020 AMG GTR Pro, 2021 GT500
Portal axle package for the GWagon are 80k or just over if I’m not mistaken. They come stock on the new 4x4 squared of course.

Sponsored

Dust

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
UPS Feeder Driver
Mopar sold these 10-12 years ago. $6 or 8k an axel. Was looking to swap them on my 08 rubie JK and do a AEV two door conversion. Drivability seemed poor as DD and the conversion was $30k. Good thing I held out HaHa (I’ll settle for the regular Dana 44’s). Though 2” of lift is nice out of the box.

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
beautiful product for sure...
must be super cool to be super rich :)
35K for the Hemi + 25K for the portal axle etc etc ...
but at the end of the day you got an incredible rig ...
well done

NERokToy

First Name
Jefferey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willy's, 1993 Toyota
1.20ish reduction I think is a pretty good start, but Dynatrac' 1.5 isn't going to fly for anything daily driven except for a seriously underpowered gas rig.
1. Dynatrac housings can run spicer gears, throw some 3.54's in and you are good to go (and you can get actual spicer gears!)

2. The VAST majority of people who are going to spend a minimum $30-40k on an axle swap have more then one vehicle, or at least the financial means to acquire something better suited for daily driver use.

Just to make a set of portal axles safe for the road on your Jeep you will want to upgrade all of your control arms, track bars, and all steering linkage. Plus you are going to need new wheels and will at least want to upgrade shocks to control all of that weight.

To make a set of portals work offroad is going to take even more money. You will want to reinforce or replace all factory suspension mounts, if using factory axles you need weld on trusses, and you will need custom shock mounts so you aren't limiting wheel travel. That is the bare minimum

The couple people comparing portal axles to a Hemi swap get it: this is not a practical vehicle modification, it is a niche product for individuals with large amounts of disposable income. This is even more true for the bolt on kit for factory axles, its a cool feature but not practical on or offroad. If you look at the DS Trac or Dynatrac portal axles they have a brace from the portal box to the axle tube with Dana 60 full float axle ends on the rear and king pin or medium duty truck balljoints on the front. I can not imagine the factory semi float rear and balljoints that already fail on factory Gladiators to deal with all the added stress on or offroad. I'm not saying if I won the Powerball I wouldn't be building a gladiator with a set of 74 weld portals and lifting the drivetrain to get allow flat belly and ability to lower the ride height while gaining some suspension travel

TheBrudwich

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sherp
Occupation
Architecture
1. Dynatrac housings can run spicer gears, throw some 3.54's in and you are good to go (and you can get actual spicer gears!)

2. The VAST majority of people who are going to spend a minimum $30-40k on an axle swap have more then one vehicle, or at least the financial means to acquire something better suited for daily driver use.

Just to make a set of portal axles safe for the road on your Jeep you will want to upgrade all of your control arms, track bars, and all steering linkage. Plus you are going to need new wheels and will at least want to upgrade shocks to control all of that weight.

To make a set of portals work offroad is going to take even more money. You will want to reinforce or replace all factory suspension mounts, if using factory axles you need weld on trusses, and you will need custom shock mounts so you aren't limiting wheel travel. That is the bare minimum

The couple people comparing portal axles to a Hemi swap get it: this is not a practical vehicle modification, it is a niche product for individuals with large amounts of disposable income. This is even more true for the bolt on kit for factory axles, its a cool feature but not practical on or offroad. If you look at the DS Trac or Dynatrac portal axles they have a brace from the portal box to the axle tube with Dana 60 full float axle ends on the rear and king pin or medium duty truck balljoints on the front. I can not imagine the factory semi float rear and balljoints that already fail on factory Gladiators to deal with all the added stress on or offroad. I'm not saying if I won the Powerball I wouldn't be building a gladiator with a set of 74 weld portals and lifting the drivetrain to get allow flat belly and ability to lower the ride height while gaining some suspension travel
Why spend time writing this out without taking the time to go on 74weld's site and read about the product? A lot of misinfo here.

NERokToy

First Name
Jefferey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of misinfo here.
Correct me where I am wrong then, I'm here to learn and share information just like everyone else.

Directly from Weld 74:

Question: Are my factory ball joints strong enough for portals? Answer: As with any big tire application, upgraded ball joints are recommended for increased longevity

Question: Is my stock front axle housing strong enough for portals? Answer: As with any big tire application, the factory front axle housing tubes are a weak point

Weld points out weak links, what they leave out is adding portals is not like any other big tire application, it is adding significantly more stress! If the portals reduce load on inner axle shafts and other upstream drivetrain components by a factor equal to the gear ratio that also means the load on the axle housing, control arms, and control arm mounts is INCREASED by that factor, plus the lever arm added by moving the centerline of the wheel. That is just torque!

Looking at lateral loads in an overly simple manner: If you ran these portals and 37" tires that would be the equivalent of 45" tall tires and 2.25 wheel spacers (comparing 17x9 wheels, zero offset without portals and 1.5" offset with portals as recommended by 74Weld). This does not take into account the verticle offset, which will add further stress

If someone wants to draw up the vectors and do the math I bet my simple calculations are conservative

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
With the forces involved, I could see the rear axle control arm mounts possibly being the first victim due to the lack of spread.

I've seen control arm mounts torn on UD 60 axles when the lower control arm mount was raised for high clearance and this was behind a 3.8L!

TheBrudwich

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sherp
Occupation
Architecture
Correct me where I am wrong then, I'm here to learn and share information just like everyone else.

Directly from Weld 74:

Question: Are my factory ball joints strong enough for portals? Answer: As with any big tire application, upgraded ball joints are recommended for increased longevity

Question: Is my stock front axle housing strong enough for portals? Answer: As with any big tire application, the factory front axle housing tubes are a weak point

Weld points out weak links, what they leave out is adding portals is not like any other big tire application, it is adding significantly more stress! If the portals reduce load on inner axle shafts and other upstream drivetrain components by a factor equal to the gear ratio that also means the load on the axle housing, control arms, and control arm mounts is INCREASED by that factor, plus the lever arm added by moving the centerline of the wheel. That is just torque!

Looking at lateral loads in an overly simple manner: If you ran these portals and 37" tires that would be the equivalent of 45" tall tires and 2.25 wheel spacers (comparing 17x9 wheels, zero offset without portals and 1.5" offset with portals as recommended by 74Weld). This does not take into account the verticle offset, which will add further stress

If someone wants to draw up the vectors and do the math I bet my simple calculations are conservative
Perhaps just keep reading rather than cite where you think that you are right. 😂

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

NERokToy

First Name
Jefferey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps just keep reading rather than cite where you think that you are right. 😂
I'm still trying to figure out what information from 74weld I am supposed to be reading that is in disagreement with anything I have said?

instead of being cryptic how about you point out what "misinformation" I have provided? One of the principles of productive discussions is all parties being able to speak freely, that isn't happening here as you seem to be afraid to share the knowledge you have acquired that would deem anything I said as misinformation. If you didn't have anything to add to the conversation thats fine, but then why did you insert yourself into it only to not add anything of any value?
Sponsored