Sponsored

Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I went with "etc" (Overland North Edition).

It seems Overlands get a lot of hate on the forum (even being relegated to "etc" status in this thread's title -- haha), but in my experience, it's completely unfounded. My Jeep will do a whole lot more off-road than I am comfortable attempting, and it's mostly a beach cruiser anyway.
I would not exactly call it hate, but I know what you mean. Rubicons and Max Tow seem to get most of the coverage on this forum. But if Jeep did not offer the Overlands for buyers like me and you, there would be a lot less Gladiators sold to the general public, same as for the more luxury Wrangler models.
Sponsored

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I really do get the hate/overlooking/whatever you want to call it. Hell, I'm guilty of doing the same and I've owned a Sahara and an Overland. Both times, I completely discounted this trim before circling back after I reconsidered the value of what options I was getting. Throw in some factory rebates to entice reluctant buyers, and you have one heck of a deal on a very well-optioned Jeep.

I'm planning to add aftermarket lockers, a manual sway bar disconnect, and maybe even a Rubicon or Mojave hood if I can find one (just because I like the style). That should sufficiently scratch the itch and keep me from doing something stupid and impulsive.

TBuck

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave, 2016 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I picked the overland. It was loaded enough for what I need it for, and $20k less than the Rubicon. I just couldn't justify paying that much more when I am not really interested in off roading. Starting to have second thoughts about this purchase. The jeep dealer SUCKS, and my gladiators steering issues need to be addressed, and soon.
What dealer did you use in Tampa? Jerry Ulm? Jim Browne?

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Definitely feeling the Overland hate in the forum lol!

but really who cares, most people on here have been great and everyone in real life stares at Clifford- so- who cares about a few noses in the air...
And other than the dangerously sloppy steering I LOVE my JT.
@jeep cares any help appreciated

For the price I purchased my Overland I got such a good deal most of you would be sick to your stomach lol (came With 8.4 premium audio, CarPlay, leather {a MUST I have an Akita} slush mats, spray in liner, tonneau cover, safety group) added Mopar lift before it ever left the dealer, now added 35” BFG KO2s, 17” pro Comp wheels, blacked out the Jeep badges, have new black out grill, and even with the body color Hauk Bumper and bar and steel back bumper I plan to install, oh and a sun bonnet that’s been ordered, rain cover that’s on back order and adding a tow package including cooling fan I’m still ahead of having bought a Rubicon.

Probably more “off road capable” truck then I’ll ever need.

It’s my daily driver, we do mild off roading, occasionally but more as away to a means (getting to fun out of the way fishing, shooting or beach spots) a little big bear wheeling with friends, farm roads when going horseback riding, some mudding for my 15 year old son....I got everything I need and don’t need to brag that mine cost more than yours lol!

I still have a kid in private school, a damn expensive horse and the damn state can’t quit taking money out of my pockets for taxes so knowing I got a kicka@@ deal on what I feel like is a kicka@@ vehicle, if anybody’s judging...feel free!!

oh and I wave at any Jeep that passes and do not give a rat’s a@@ if they don’t wave back but smile if they do, cause I’m never too busy to make someone smile and feel like the world could use a whole helluva lot more friendly people that find common ground amidst chaos!

Ok, done with my rant!

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have had many 4WD vehicles and I like to go off-road. I bought the Rubicon JT with a manual transmission because I never had front lockers and an auto sway disconnect and I really wanted to try it. I also wanted a stick shift and a convertible, so, there is only one truck available with these options. So far, I am very impressed with the "sway bar disconnect", very useful. Regarding the front lockers, I have not used them much so far -- only in the mud -- where it was supper slippery and they were much appreciated. In other harder pack terrain, it effects the steering, so, I do not use it unless I need it.

Shifu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Definitely feeling the Overland hate in the forum lol!

but really who cares, most people on here have been great and everyone in real life stares at Clifford- so- who cares about a few noses in the air...
And other than the dangerously sloppy steering I LOVE my JT.
@jeep cares any help appreciated

For the price I purchased my Overland I got such a good deal most of you would be sick to your stomach lol (came With 8.4 premium audio, CarPlay, leather {a MUST I have an Akita} slush mats, spray in liner, tonneau cover, safety group) added Mopar lift before it ever left the dealer, now added 35” BFG KO2s, 17” pro Comp wheels, blacked out the Jeep badges, have new black out grill, and even with the body color Hauk Bumper and bar and steel back bumper I plan to install, oh and a sun bonnet that’s been ordered, rain cover that’s on back order and adding a tow package including cooling fan I’m still ahead of having bought a Rubicon.

Probably more “off road capable” truck then I’ll ever need.

It’s my daily driver, we do mild off roading, occasionally but more as away to a means (getting to fun out of the way fishing, shooting or beach spots) a little big bear wheeling with friends, farm roads when going horseback riding, some mudding for my 15 year old son....I got everything I need and don’t need to brag that mine cost more than yours lol!

I still have a kid in private school, a damn expensive horse and the damn state can’t quit taking money out of my pockets for taxes so knowing I got a kicka@@ deal on what I feel like is a kicka@@ vehicle, if anybody’s judging...feel free!!

oh and I wave at any Jeep that passes and do not give a rat’s a@@ if they don’t wave back but smile if they do, cause I’m never too busy to make someone smile and feel like the world could use a whole helluva lot more friendly people that find common ground amidst chaos!

Ok, done with my rant!
What kind of deal did you end up getting? Any pictures of your Jeep?

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
I got right around $15000 off MSRP.

Jeep Gladiator Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)? 61272DA4-7408-45B6-8E7C-93B40F5E0429
Oh and someone mentioned it earlier...I too hate the running boards...plan on something different but what I’m dreaming of doesn’t come in Gladiator size yet lol!

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I went with the Rubicon because it will do 99.9% of the things I want to do with it right out of the box. I can take it off-road, tow my trailer and haul stuff, as well as be a nice and comfortable daily driver. I also special ordered it to get the options I wanted and not the ones I didn't.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I went with a loaded Sport S (no Max Tow) because I was looking for a fun truck that I could use as a baseball / basketball / soccer coach. It's my first Jeep and thus far, it has exceeded my expectations. I love this Jeep Truck and more importantly, so do my wife, kids, and players :like:

cguarino53

First Name
charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2018 Ram 2500
Went with the Overland because my wife wanted the white roof and fenders. It had all of the features we wanted except the premium audio. What a great all around vehicle.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I went with "etc" (Overland North Edition).

It seems Overlands get a lot of hate on the forum (even being relegated to "etc" status in this thread's title -- haha), but in my experience, it's completely unfounded. My Jeep will do a whole lot more off-road than I am comfortable attempting, and it's mostly a beach cruiser anyway.
I dont think its hate. But unless I am missing something Overland's dont have anything exclusive to them other then 18" wheels (which most of us change the stock wheels anyway). Outside of that. Sport has some major distinctions from Sport S which has some major distinctions from the Sport S w/ Max Tow which has major distinctions from the Rubicon. Basically all the other models changing things to make them the next model up or down there is significant changes that have to happen where as a Sport S can be identical to an Overland short of the badges & wheels.

Edit: Ok I may of misspoken. I am about 90% positive both were options a while back when I bought mine, but the build tool doesn't show leather or color matched top available for the sport S now. So that would at some cosmetic distinction between a Sport S & overland.

Shifu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Oh and someone mentioned it earlier...I too hate the running boards...plan on something different but what I’m dreaming of doesn’t come in Gladiator size yet lol!
Very nice. Yep I think you got a good deal on it!
Sponsored