Sponsored

Why does JT have poor throttle response?

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
That'll do it, city driving. I get 12 mpg on stock rubi tires and no lift. Stop and go all the way to work and back. Once I hit the highway I see 19-20.
My late 2021 mfg MT Mojave stock gets 17 if I hammer it around town. Usually 19. Hwy 19-23 depending on speed. 75 it drops 18 but at ~7000 alt on I25 its back to 23. Thin air makes a difference.

Anyone have the Livernois setup?
Sponsored

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
That'll do it, city driving. I get 12 mpg on stock rubi tires and no lift. Stop and go all the way to work and back. Once I hit the highway I see 19-20.
Getting transferred to another city about 35 mins away next week. Hopefully the highway driving improves it a bit or might end up having to move closer or take the wife's car to work and let her drive my JT. Her job is 5 mins away.

OP
OP

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Getting transferred to another city about 35 mins away next week. Hopefully the highway driving improves it a bit or might end up having to move closer or take the wife's car to work and let her drive my JT. Her job is 5 mins away.
5 minutes? Thats Tesla range :)

Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
The throttle response is more than fine if you have it in the correct gear...If you keep it in the wrong gear and "lug" it, than that is on you...If you have an auto and can't figure out how to do this with the gas peddle, use the manual shifter for a while (i think it is called M-mode, or whatever) until you learn how to keep in in the correct gear, than start using your foot instead. Little practice goes a long way.

jerjon

First Name
JimmyJones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave, LJ, TJ, SuperTrooper
Occupation
Magician
The reason for the slow throttle response probably has more to do with the traditional uses of a Jeep. No one wants herky-jerky over rough terrain. For that reason I know Land Rover designed the throttle linkage to be slow reacting so when hitting a bump caused your foot to bump the throttle pedal the vehicle would react less. I suspect Jeep is the same.
If that was the case.. the Mojave would have twice the response as a rubicon and that's just not reality. It's completely programable and jeep could have easily added different throttle response modes like many other manufactures.. 100% about getting 17-22 mpg.. Yet,...I have yet to see over 15.75mpg and I'm gentle on the pedal..

jeepit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Vehicle Showcase
I owned JTR & JTM, and had loaner JT Sports for a month and Jeep grand cherokee for weeks, when they had work dones on JTR.
In my driving experience, in general without getting into details,
Best throttle response in order with same 3.6
Jeep grand cherokee (so much so that i almost ran thru my garage door)
JT Sports (no bells & whistles)
JTM (best JT to drive on & off-road, there i said it :) some JTR owners may not agree)
JTR

off course there are various factors that can be found in that rabbit hole. :)

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I was just looking at the HIKE IT device, and watching some videos about it.
The discount code JKGEAR still works for 10% off, but it looks like they're gonna charge for shipping.

Jeep Gladiator Why does JT have poor throttle response? Untitled-1

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Unless there’s something wrong with your throttle, I don’t think the Jeep has that bad of throttle response.

Go drive the new 4cyl land rover defender and come back and report your thoughts again on Jeeps response

Sponsored

NeatFreq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Writer, Sole Proprietor, Marketing Lead, Quality Assurance.
I can't speak on the 3.73 geared JTs, but my max tow is no slouch off the line, even with the lift and 35's

K1w1t1m

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Program Manager
If that was the case.. the Mojave would have twice the response as a rubicon and that's just not reality. It's completely programable and jeep could have easily added different throttle response modes like many other manufactures.. 100% about getting 17-22 mpg.. Yet,...I have yet to see over 15.75mpg and I'm gentle on the pedal..
I don't think you understood my post. The Mojave is still a Jeep and designed for off road/rough terrain.
Aerodynamics, weights, gearing including tire size, and engine design and tune determine fuel economy or consumption not the throttle response.

Last edited:

firemarshallvin

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Engineer/Firefighter
Anyone out there try these guys? I almost bought for my Ram 1500 with the 5.7 before I unloaded it but never did. Seem to be just like the others that tap in at the pedal, but with positive results based on the reviews I've seen.

https://www.ultimate9.co/#tab-year

tastetickles

First Name
Yik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JT
Occupation
IT guy
Mine’s an auto and I think it’s calibrated pretty well coming from an sti and Focus RS. Last thing I want is driving over uneven ground with a sensitive throttle pedal. Maybe the manual is calibrated way differently but like all modern cars with drivebywire (I’m assuming the Jeep is no different), it’s never linear throttle input to engine output.
Sponsored