Sponsored

Wicked rear passenger head impact!! Updated JL crash test. Where is the rear side curtain?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Air bags arent disabled off roading,
Read it. Don't be a putz.

Facts are, it will take many months/years to reengineer the structure and software to be able to do it.

How many recreational/specialty vehicles have the full onslaught of safety features that strictly passenger vehicles do? Do any of the supercars? Do SXS? Motorcycles? When should the nannies stay out of our lives and pockets? Do you want cars like in Demolition Man, that turn you into a human cannoli when you crash/get bumped?

It may actually introduce another safety problem while offroad by obstructing visibility.
Sponsored

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux

Facts are, it will take many months/years to reengineer the structure and software to be able to do it.

How many recreational/specialty vehicles have the full onslaught of safety features that strictly passenger vehicles do? Do any of the supercars? Do SXS? Motorcycles? When should the nannies stay out of our lives and pockets? Do you want cars like in Demolition Man, that turn you into a human cannoli when you crash/get bumped?

It may actually introduce another safety problem while offroad by obstructing visibility.
I find it ironic that you have a picture of a child in your profile picture. You should go tell him that you do not care if his head bashes into a metal pillar or pavement in a crash even while yours will be protected.

I also believe that your concerns are wildly unfounded and overblown. Jeep and every other similar vehicle has an airbag for the rear passengers and they operate just fine. I cannot understand the fundamentalist/purist/macho-man mentality or whatever that someone must latch onto and actually argue that it is not time to put airbags in the rear seats.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

I did read it, you apparently didnt, take your own advise and RTFM.

Air bags are NOT disabled in 4LO nor are there any mentions of the parameters for their deployment changing based on TC status. If you can find documentation otherwise, feel free to post as i'd love to see it but its not in the manual.

Specialty vehicles...a few come to mind really easily such as the ford raptor, ram trx, toyota trd pro's, jeep trailhawk editions. There is also one that is really an apples to apples comparison, the bronco
- convertible: check
- doors off: check
- off road specialized: check
- side protection air bags: check (extra points because they're even curtain, not just seat mounted units)

We arent talking about a low volume vehicle here, these arent Mclarens or Ferraris who plan to sell less over the life of a vehicle than jeep will in a single quarter. Its purely cost cutting on their side and done because its not required so they wont.

Honestly if the foam in demolition man saves my kid, i'm all for it. Typically when this stuff deploys the car is f***ed anyways so i'd prefer to walk away from it with out needing 10's of thousands of medical bills (or funeral bills), then worry about the extra 1K dollars this might cost me over the next 5+ years on my vehicle.

The irony of all this is that we as the driver already have this protection, people arguing against it are literally saying that the people who don't deserve it are the most vulnerable, the kids in the back seat that we as parents are supposed to protect the most.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I find it ironic that you have a picture of a child in your profile picture. You should go tell him that you do not care if his head bashes into a metal pillar or pavement in a crash even while yours will be protected.

I also believe that your concerns are wildly unfounded and overblown. Jeep and every other similar vehicle has an airbag for the rear passengers and they operate just fine. I cannot understand the fundamentalist/purist/macho-man mentality or whatever that someone must latch onto and actually argue that it is not time to put airbags in the rear seats.
Because I don't need someone or some agency to run my or my family's life.

Yes, I have a child, and he LOVES our Jeeps, moreso when they are fully opened. Also, unless he were unrestrained, there is no chance his head would hit any unprotected metal in any of our vehicles. But I digress as NO AMOUNT of my parenting is ANY of your business.

Maybe you should quit trying to impose your fears and beliefs on everyone, and instead feed that hole in your head with something else. I can understand that you think a gov't agency needs to be all controlling, and how can a person live without it! I don't know how anyone has survived this long without your nannyism!

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Because I don't need someone or some agency to run my or my family's life.

Yes, I have a child, and he LOVES our Jeeps, moreso when they are fully opened. Also, unless he were unrestrained, there is no chance his head would hit any unprotected metal in any of our vehicles. But I digress as NO AMOUNT of my parenting is ANY of your business.

Maybe you should quit trying to impose your fears and beliefs on everyone, and instead feed that hole in your head with something else. I can understand that you think a gov't agency needs to be all controlling, and how can a person live without it! I don't know how anyone has survived this long without your nannyism!
Seriously? An airbag is nannyism or telling you how to parent? Why because it saves your kids life when you wish it didnt? Not everything has to be part of a government conspiracy or mandate, maybe stellantis should install them with out needing a mandate, then would you accept them?

FYI a seat belt will not stop your kids head from ringing off the side. As the video showed up and side ways will throw them right in to either the roll bar, glass, or fiberglass top, and all those things will cave in a skull no problems. Ive seen it first hand, I had a fiancee die to the driver side glass of her ford focus that didnt have any side protection and it wasnt even a t-bone.

I agree its not my place to tell you how to parent, but please use a seat or booster with side impact protection for the head if they arent riding in the center seat in the rear and are still young enough to need one.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Seriously? An airbag is nannyism or telling you how to parent? Why because it saves your kids life when you wish it didnt?
Trying to guilt me into changing my way of life to model your ideal utopia is nannyism.

Oh, and teaching my child the correct and safe way to do things is being a proper parent.... as opposed to being a helicopter

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Trying to guilt me into changing my way of life to model your ideal utopia is nannyism.

Oh, and teaching my child the correct and safe way to do things is being a proper parent.... as opposed to being a helicopter
Whatever man, enjoy the gladiator, hope you or your kid never regret not having side impact protection air bags.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Are we all missing the part where head/neck injuries is rated "good" for front and rear? The video looks wicked for sure, but our marginal rating is due solely to the lack of the airbag, not the lack of safety. Given that we got a good rating in head/neck injuries, and in every single injury category, I think this is a less of a big deal than it seems. To get the good rating the others got for injuries, their videos must not be any better.

We simply automatically get poor for protection, because there's no airbag there. We received the same "good" rating for injuries as all the others in the class in rear passenger head/neck.

Look at all the others, with marginal safety structures/cages, pelvis injuries, and torso injuries. The fact that the Jeep earned good across the board is great in my opinion.

Jeep Gladiator Wicked rear passenger head impact!! Updated JL crash test. Where is the rear side curtain? Screenshot_2022-05-23-15-07-54-30_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643-01

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Are we all missing the part where head/neck injuries is rated "good" for front and rear? The video looks wicked for sure, but our marginal rating is due solely to the lack of the airbag, not the lack of safety. Given that we got a good rating in head/neck injuries, and in every single injury category, I think this is a less of a big deal than it seems. To get the good rating the others got for injuries, their videos must not be any better.

We simply automatically get poor for protection, because there's no airbag there. We received the same "good" rating for injuries as all the others in the class in rear passenger head/neck.

Look at all the others, with marginal safety structures/cages, pelvis injuries, and torso injuries. The fact that the Jeep earned good across the board is great in my opinion.

Screenshot_2022-05-23-15-07-54-30_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643-01.jpeg

Digging in to it more:

Driver with side protection
Jeep Gladiator Wicked rear passenger head impact!! Updated JL crash test. Where is the rear side curtain? 1653334430158

Passenger no side protection:
Jeep Gladiator Wicked rear passenger head impact!! Updated JL crash test. Where is the rear side curtain? 1653334474442

Good rating not withstanding (all midsize suvs got a good rating in head and neck), the wrangler performed dead last in terms of head protection for the passenger but first in terms of head protection from the driver. Even the tin can kia and hyundai had lower rear head injury scores (300) than the jeep.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I took the time to crawl through the small suv's ratings as well (which can be directly compared as the test parameters dont change) and 14 of the 20 small suv's also protected the rear passengers head better including the honda HRV and Mitsubishi which received Poor overall ratings.

The jeep isnt a death trap by any measure, if it wasnt i wouldnt have bought it. But objectively, the rear head protection is worse compared to most other vehicles in the class and even outside the class. Given the availability of the simple proven techonology of an airbag, there is no reason other than laziness or cost that we dont have rear airbags.

Perhaps though Jeep could contact Artsifrtsi to write up a guide on how to avoid a traumatic brain injury in a T-Bone accident that we could use to teach our kids and passengers instead. I'd only worried about the uptake on that versus an airbag since one requires actual reading and the other just sits in the back seat incase something happens.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I took the time to crawl through the small suv's ratings as well (which can be directly compared as the test parameters dont change) and 14 of the 20 small suv's also protected the rear passengers head better including the honda HRV and Mitsubishi which received Poor overall ratings.

The jeep isnt a death trap by any measure, if it wasnt i wouldnt have bought it. But objectively, the rear head protection is worse compared to most other vehicles in the class and even outside the class. Given the availability of the simple proven techonology of an airbag, there is no reason other than laziness or cost that we dont have rear airbags.

Perhaps though Jeep could contact Artsifrtsi to write up a guide on how to avoid a traumatic brain injury in a T-Bone accident that we could use to teach our kids and passengers instead. I'd only worried about the uptake on that versus an airbag since one requires actual reading and the other just sits in the back seat incase something happens.
You know, everything in the Jeep qualifies under Prop. 65 in California as well... everything in it has been known to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and birth defects...

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
You know, everything in the Jeep qualifies under Prop. 65 in California as well... everything in it has been known to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and birth defects...
Are you seriously that delusional as to believe that asking for the same level of protection for the rear seat as the front seat is some how the man telling you how to live? Do you also disable the airbags in the rest of the car? How about seatbelts, did you cut those out cause f the man? I mean shit why not just go full bore and make headlights, tail lights and abs as optional.

I could understand if we were talking about some new technology that is unreliable and known to cause failures, but it's a pair of airbags to match the front.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Also, unless he were unrestrained, there is no chance his head would hit any unprotected metal in any of our vehicles.
No chance? There's a literal video of a restrained dummy smashing his head in this thread...

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It's interesting to watch people rant and carry on about something they have no control over, and argue because other people don't share their same view or desire to poke at the windmills.

How many airbags, and where they are located, were not a concern to me when I decided to buy a Jeep. I grew up without seat belts and airbags, and I'm still here. I take advantage of them, now, so as to possibly live longer, but their presence or absence doesn't impact my life decisions.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
It's interesting to watch people rant and carry on about something they have no control over, and argue because other people don't share their same view or desire to poke at the windmills.

How many airbags, and where they are located, were not a concern to me when I decided to buy a Jeep. I grew up without seat belts and airbags, and I'm still here. I take advantage of them, now, so as to possibly live longer, but their presence or absence doesn't impact my life decisions.
Hell, my first Jeep didnā€™t even have seatbeltsā€¦ they were an option in ā€˜65. Reverse lights were also an option.

Right on point, @Mr. Bilā€¦. WTF do I want or need more crap in a Jeep? So I can have more to potentially go wrong when Iā€™m out in the great outdoors?

@bleda2002, I will wait patiently for your ā€œlast Jeepā€¦ā€ thread. I canā€™t imagine that youā€™d purposely allow yourself to threaten the safety and security of your family, especially with much safer options for vehicles to take you to the mall. Go find your safe place, and pop your binkie inā€¦ WTF is with the snowflakesā€¦
Sponsored