Sponsored

Will changing my own oil void the warranty?

James H

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jack of all tirades
I've had bad experiences with dealerships in the past, and would rather not use them for my 3 free oil changes. Does this raise any issues with the warranty?
Sponsored

RdFx21

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I was told specifically by the dealer that you can use the Jeep wave oil changes at any point.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I've had bad experiences with dealerships in the past, and would rather not use them for my 3 free oil changes. Does this raise any issues with the warranty?
No, it won't void your warranty. Keep the receipts, keep a running log on services including date and mileage and what brand of oil and oil filter. There are blank pages in the back of the owners manual you can use.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
No, changing your own oil will not void the warranty. That would be against federal law.

That being said, keep some evidence or a log of your oil change in case you need to prove it was done.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
... keep some evidence or a log of your oil change in case you need to prove it was done.
During the warranty period, I go a little crazy and keep all of the following for my oil changes:
1) receipt for oil & filter
2) end flap from filter box showing the part number.
3) back of the 5-quart oil jug showing the UPC and all specs

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I have NEVER been asked to provide proof of oil changes done by me (which is every oil change in every one of my vehicles for the past 45 years, except for the very few free ones offered by the dealer.)

That includes a warranty engine replacement in a Nissan Hardbody a year after purchase.

So I would go so far as to say that doing NO oil changes at all does not void the warranty.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
It is good advice to keep receipts during the warranty period. Is it absolutely necessary, depends, but probably not. Better safe than sorry. Keeping receipts is good evidence.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have NEVER been asked to provide proof of oil changes done by me (which is every oil change in every one of my vehicles for the past 45 years, except for the very few free ones offered by the dealer.)

That includes a warranty engine replacement in a Nissan Hardbody a year after purchase.

So I would go so far as to say that doing NO oil changes at all does not void the warranty.
Sorry, that is specifically spelled out in the Jeep as well as other vehicle warranties.

Here is the quote found on page 12 under what's not covered -

3.3. Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or fluids other than those recommended in your Owner’s Manual.

In other words, if you do not maintain the engine properly and something bad happens, it's not covered because it's not a defect in the vehicle's engine.

Get 20,000 miles on it and blow the engine and you've done no maintenance - only an extremely dishonest person, I'd say a cheat, would even try to get warranty for abuse. (not the sort I'd want to deal with)

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Sorry, that is specifically spelled out in the Jeep as well as other vehicle warranties.
We all know that is what the warranty says and no one is suggesting NOT doing oil changes, but the OPs question was about doing your own oil changes. I was simply pointing out what I pointed out.

Has a dealer EVER asked for proof from you that you performed regular oil changes? Didn't think so.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Has a dealer EVER asked for proof from you that you performed regular oil changes? Didn't think so.
My experience:
I previously had issues with 2 Subarus simultaneously, one at 60k and one at 85k. Subaru of America said that to cover repairs they needed my records of all required maintenance for both vehicles. No doubt they thought that this was their "out" because there wasn't one maintenance record in their system for either vehicle. They seemed quite surprised when I sent them all my documentation including receipts for everything (oil, oil filters, drain plug gaskets, air filters, brake fluid, spark plugs, brake pads).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We all know that is what the warranty says and no one is suggesting NOT doing oil changes, but the OPs question was about doing your own oil changes. I was simply pointing out what I pointed out.

You said that doing NO oil changes does not void warranty. That's exactly what that statement says - "would go so far as to say......." and you said it. No oil changed does not void the warranty - and yet you say "we all know......." no - not everyone here does know. I'd bet that most, in fact, have not even bothered to read that warranty, otherwise, why all the basic questions? So you can't say "not changing oil does not void the warranty" and then say "we all know what the warranty says".

And no, no one has ever asked for proof from me because I've never had any engine troubles ever - other than a Stratus that had head issues (and it was a known issue, unrelated to oil or maintenance in any way). So there's never been any need for any shop to ever ask me about maintenance. No engine failures, and like some have said - including the insurance adjuster that wrote me a check for a Grand Cherokee - and said check was for thousands over NADA and KBB best values - because it was obvious I'd taken care of the vehicle and had it extremely well-equipped.
Maybe I've never had a need for engine service because I do keep things maintained. I can tell you the date and miles on my car when I put the engine in it, then when I changed the oil, what kind of oil I put in it, and every oil change, every transmission lube change, even when I replaced the axle seals.

If someone blows an engine - say they toss a rod or score a cylinder wall and there's not any sort of pattern of that happening to others - they can and have a right to ask about maintenance. The warranty clearly says lack of maintenance is not covered.

My experience:
I previously had issues with 2 Subarus simultaneously, one at 60k and one at 85k. Subaru of America said that to cover repairs they needed my records of all required maintenance for both vehicles. No doubt they thought that this was their "out" because there wasn't one maintenance record in their system for either vehicle. They seemed quite surprised when I sent them all my documentation including receipts for everything (oil, oil filters, drain plug gaskets, air filters, brake fluid, spark plugs, brake pads).
Bravo. Well done. They had that right - and I'd bet (but have no proof) that even the Subaru warranty has wording protecting them from the person that never changes oil and assumes.....

True story - when I was the IT/communications/building and grounds/safety manager for On With Life, Inc. in Ankeny I had regular safety training days for staff. I had various industry experts (fire, police, highway patrol and others) come in. A trooper gave his talk and then took questions. However it came up, he was talking about maintaining equipment - buildings, fire equipment, cars, whatever. He told of the time he came upon a car on the shoulder of I80, hood up, driver sitting in the car. The trooper stopped behind the car, walked up and asked the driver what was wrong. Driver responded that he was driving along and the car sort of made a lurch and the engine slowed and died. So the trooper walks around the front and start poking around, doing the usual. No sign of leaks, things look outwardly ok - he pulls the dip stick. Nothing. He wipes it, reinserts it, check again - nothing.
He was baffled as it didn't seem to have leaks.
So he goes back and asks the driver how many miles - looks at the odometer - 35,000 miles.
He asks the driver when was the last time he had it in and had the oil changed.
Driver responded - this is a leased car, I don't have to do that.

So who paid for that? Yeah, not the lease company or the car maker.

The stupidity of car/truck owners is absolutely amazing - like the guy who had his truck towed to our shop for an over-heated and seized engine. He hit a large rock on the road and punctured the oil pan. He was insured for such things, so he figured drive to a shop and get it fixed. He didn't make it. We towed him in, did the repairs and presented him the bill. He was shocked when his insurance wouldn't cover it because he had known of the punctured pan and kept on driving. They did pay for a new oil pan - and oil.

No, not everyone reads their lease papers, their insurance policies or their warranties.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800

This is bad advice. Not doing required maintenance oil changes does in fact void your warranty if discovered.

There's nothing wrong with doing your own changes, but you still need to do them. You need to document them as well. As long as you keep receipts and records that you are properly maintaining your truck, there's no problem. If you don't, you could find yourself on the losing end of a claim. Obviously if you don't do oil changes at all you're going to have a losing claim.

stampedingTurtles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler

Yes. In fact, multiple times.

I'm sure it really depends on what the warranty issue that is being repaired is, and whether it could be reasonably caused by neglected oil changes, and I suppose what they find when they inspect your vehicle.

I had a Subaru that was using a significant amount of oil between changes, and they wanted documentation for everything, down to requesting receipts for every quart of oil I added between oil changes. In that case, the dealership was looking for any and every possible explanation other than the car using oil; to the point that they accused me of lying about having added oil (or the amount of oil I added), and when we did an "oil consumption test" they even implied I was somehow removing oil (or draining the oil and only putting part of it back in).

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Consider going to the dealership and having them give you the oil and filter.
Sponsored