Sponsored

Winter driving tips?

Choj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Stay inside and stay off the roads and make sure you have plenty of bread and milk I live in Georgia and if they mention the word snow everybody buys bread and milk Walmart shelves are empty in no time I guess you mix the bread in a glass of milk and your good
Unfortunately I don't think my job would be happy with me staying home for 4-5 months haha.
Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Might not need sandbags. A 6x4 rubber horse stall mat for protection of the bed weighs about 100lbs
Sandbags are nice to have in case you need to bust one open to spread out for a little extra traction- cherry grit stuff works the best!

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Stock rubicon with falken at3s AT. 210 lbs of sand bags in the back. 2wd was very good on today's slop.
210lb hurt your mileage at all?

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Stock rubicon with falken at3s AT. 210 lbs of sand bags in the back. 2wd was very good on today's slop.
The Falken AT3s are actually snow rated. Might not even need to extra weight in the back? I haven't had mine in snow yet to comment first hand.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
So far I'm a fan of the 4 wheel drive off road, but the brake lock diff is horrid on the dirt roads when drifting even a little bit. I didn't know what the heck was happening until I turned it off, then the JT performed as expected (normal) I would imagine snow covered roads are going to take some experimenting and getting used to.

4esop

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Software Engineer
In FL I have always used 4H in the more severe rains we get down here. There is generally oil all over the roads which are are flat, mostly straight, and in good repair. You can hydroplane like crazy. Never had an issue in 14 years doing this with my '98 Wrangler. I would not consider a typical rain storm to be something you would use 4H in anywhere else. In snow I have used 4H a lot whenever there are any traction issues. As some here have mentioned, you still need to allow for stopping distance and be careful with snow covered objects. I bent my bumper on low wall that was indistinguishable from the surrounding snow at a gas station in CO.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I had my first snow drive in the JT. It wasn't fun. Not enough snow to use 4WD but enough to make the back end slip out. I haven't driven a RWD Jeep in a few years, but at least that one had Selec-Trac where I could put it in Full time 4WD and get some use out of the front wheels.

Some questions...

1. Does anyone know why Selec-Trac wasn't an on option on the JT? I see it's an option on some models of the JL. This would be a no-brainer purchase for me.

2. I know bigger tires are not the greatest for snow, so should I put smaller tires back on? I currently have 35x12.5 KO2's and a set of the stock Duellers.

3. I'll likely put sand bags in the bed. How much weight would make a difference?

4. With salty roads being the norm now until April, how often do you wash/rinse your car to help with rust prevention? I kind of wish I had a sacrificial winter car :)

Stay safe, my friends!
1. That’s above my pay grade...
2. Yes smaller tires are better than bigger tires all other things being equal. I don’t know if the stock Duellers are snow rated or not.
3. This is what I do. I usually put 4, 80 pound bags and put them over the rear axle if you can figure out how to secure them there.
4. If the situation is bad doing it once a week wouldn’t be too often. When I bought my Glad I completely sprayed the underneath of the truck with Fluid Film and I would recommend doing something like that if you can...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
1. That’s above my pay grade...
2. Yes smaller tires are better than bigger tires all other things being equal. I don’t know if the stock Duellers are snow rated or not.
3. This is what I do. I usually put 4, 80 pound bags and put them over the rear axle if you can figure out how to secure them there.
4. If the situation is bad doing it once a week wouldn’t be too often. When I bought my Glad I completely sprayed the underneath of the truck with Fluid Film and I would recommend doing something like that if you can...
2. https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-at-rh-s
Not explicitly snow rated but folks have said in reviews online that they do fine in light snow.

Thank you for Tip 4. Does the film harm anything? warranty? washes off ok?
Edit: washes off with pressure. Seems to stay on for 6mo on its own
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/does-fluid-film-wash-away-1647385.html

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
2. https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-at-rh-s
Not explicitly snow rated but folks have said in reviews online that they do fine in light snow.

Thank you for Tip 4. Does the film harm anything? warranty? washes off ok?
Edit: washes off with pressure. Seems to stay on for 6mo on its own
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/does-fluid-film-wash-away-1647385.html
so the NEW Bridgestones are better in the snow, but the Bridgestone Dueler AT's that come on the Gladiators being shipped are the old tread pattern and they are horrible in the snow, just an FYI. I had the old ones on my JT when it showed up and ended up having to replace one due to a side wall puncture, and the new tread pattern you have on your link is what I received, which drove me crazy having less than 2k miles on my JT with one non-matching tire so I just opted to go for a full set of Cooper Discoverer AT ( I went from 31's to 34's) tires, which actually had a load rating identifier, the Bridgestone's do not. Very handy for a Sport S Max Tow.
here is a pick of the Duelers they ship with;
Jeep Gladiator Winter driving tips? {filename}
And they are weak, both for load rating and snow usage. Get the new tread pattern.

Here are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's I opted for;
Jeep Gladiator Winter driving tips? {filename}
deep tread.

Last edited:

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
210lb hurt your mileage at all?
I was pulling 20-21mpg hwy prior to putting about 220lbs of sand bags. Now, i do about 18-19mpg. I expect it to go down further as we finally have icy-snowy covered roads, and I'll be in 4wd more often.

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
Yeah I'm following this and I don't wish to hijack your thread but if anyone can answer if All-terrains are suitable for snow then let me know.
Falken Wildpeak ATs scores very high fo snow, rain, and ice, driving, in independent testing. ;{

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
How do they compare to KO2 tires that are slightly wider?
I have KO2s on my other two Jeeps... in the testing the Falkens our performed them. This’ll be my first winter with them... we’ll see?
Sponsored